Back to the Football Same Team Tonight

John B

Hmmm, whilst I am a firm believer of the old addage 'never change a winning team' I think I would make one for tonight's match.

Despite him setting up the goal on Saturday I would drop Lloyd James to the bench, move Jack Cork to RB and would recall Alex Pearce to play at CB alongside Chris Perry.

Reasons being: whilst Cork and Perry both played well on Saturday they do lack height (Rory Fallon is a good 3-4 inches taller than both of them); as well as his good defensive qualities Pearce scores goals from set-pieces; James was at fault for Reading's goal and he does seem to make a number of very dangerous 'errors' during a match.

Just my thoughts.

Hmmm, whilst I am a firm believer of the old addage 'never change a winning team' I think I would make one for tonight's match.

Despite him setting up the goal on Saturday I would drop Lloyd James to the bench, move Jack Cork to RB and would recall Alex Pearce to play at CB alongside Chris Perry.

Reasons being: whilst Cork and Perry both played well on Saturday they do lack height (Rory Fallon is a good 3-4 inches taller than both of them); as well as his good defensive qualities Pearce scores goals from set-pieces; James was at fault for Reading's goal and he does seem to make a number of very dangerous 'errors' during a match.

Just my thoughts.

I thought Cork was taller than Pearce ? I agree James isn't a natural right back, but neither is Cork, he got skinned easy in both the Bristol City and Wolves games.

For now I would keep it as it is and maybe bring on Pearce if we need to.

After a result like Saturday's (and, by all accounts, a performance to match) I'm delighted to see there are no changes. I can see that a case could be made for Pearce, with Cork moving to right back, but I'd rather see Saturday's starting eleven retained.

I thought Cork was taller than Pearce ? I agree James isn't a natural right back, but neither is Cork, he got skinned easy in both the Bristol City and Wolves games.

For now I would keep it as it is and maybe bring on Pearce if we need to.

Chris Perry - 5'09''

Jack Cork - 5'10''

Alex Pearce - 6'00''

I agree that Cork got skinned in those games, but I still think he is a better RB than James.

Chris Perry - 5'09''

Jack Cork - 5'10''

Alex Pearce - 6'00''

I agree that Cork got skinned in those games, but I still think he is a better RB than James.

5'10" according to Wikipedia. Just about every other source has him down at 6'0"

http://www.4thegame.com/club/southampton-fc/player-profile/36884/jackcork.html

http://www.s****horpe-united.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10442~37736,00.html

http://www.skysports.com/football/player/0,19754,11725_331409,00.html

I know who i'm inclined to believe. He's a big lad.

I would probably drop Perry and bring in Pearce based on how well Cork is playing latly. But after the reading match I would stick with Perry and Cork.

If we can get a goal in front then we should be fine. Although the team could do with learning how to close a game out a little more comfortably.

I would drop Lloyd James to the bench, move Jack Cork to RB and would recall Alex Pearce to play at CB alongside Chris Perry.

Reasons being: whilst Cork and Perry both played well on Saturday they do lack height (Rory Fallon is a good 3-4 inches taller than both of them); as well as his good defensive qualities Pearce scores goals from set-pieces

Absolutely agree.

Cork is a better player and full-back than James.

Pearce is more suited to brick sh*thouse Championship strikers than Cork.

No brainer.

Absolutely agree.

Cork is a better player and full-back than James.

Pearce is more suited to brick sh*thouse Championship strikers than Cork.

No brainer.

Agree you can switch Cork in and out of the CB role depending on the attacking threat. Against clever, speedy and smallish strikers (eg Doyle, Phillips)-Cork has proved he is very very good. Against big bruisers (Burgess...) -Pearce.

Perry jumps like he's 6 ft 4 and 23 though (not 5 8 and 46 !)and was superb on Saturday. High class problem for once......

Weakest link is James in the analysis. So Cork once again will IMHO get moved but will I am sure perform. A very good young pro.

3 nil Saints, at least. I can sense it.....

OS has confirmed we'll be playing the same starting 11.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/articles/article.php?page_id=10968

Only question is who to put on the bench. It looks like it'll be Forecast, Pearce, Wotton, Gasmi and Paterson from the squad listed. I guess there aren't too many options with Gobern, Lancashire, Gillett and Euell all out. Hopefully Gasmi's up to it if required.

OS has confirmed we'll be playing the same starting 11.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/articles/article.php?page_id=10968

Only question is who to put on the bench. It looks like it'll be Forecast, Pearce, Wotton, Gasmi and Paterson from the squad listed. I guess there aren't too many options with Gobern, Lancashire, Gillett and Euell all out. Hopefully Gasmi's up to it if required.

Pearce will make the bench ahead of someone and my guess is wooton.

Pearce will make the bench ahead of someone and my guess is wooton.

Mills isn't in the squad (according to the OS) So Pearce for Mills then.

Makes sense, if Pearce needs to come on Cork will go to RB and Pearce will slot into CD.

I fancy a 3-1 for Saints, I would say 3-0 but that's unwise;

Robertson, Gasmi McG in that order.