Crap Towns UK - Southampton Nominated

Tokyo-Saint

I've always found the Nuffield Theatre, Mayflower and The Hub to be terrific venues for a wide variety of shows. The City Gallery is OK as is the Hansard Gallery for Art. The Guildhall, Brook and Joiners are really good venues for music as is the Turner Sims for classical, jazz, and a host of other stuff. The Harbour Lights has always been decent too. Plenty going on that doesn't include getting w@nkered on alcopops (unless that is the modern definition of culture) if one can be @rsed to look for it.

Like others have said the problem isnt so much lack of venues or stuff going on, its the lack of a buzzy centre where you can walk from good bar, to theatre to dinner in an area full of other people out and about doing there own thing. Getting in a car to go to one place and then driving somewhere else or going home isnt the same and its what Southampton lacks compared with Bournemouth, Brighton etc.

Tim, The Vestry or Buon Gusto before and after the Mayflower are very nice, as is Ceno's after a trip to the Nuffield. Oxford Street is always a decent night out and hopefully the redevelopment of Ocean Village will provide more choice there too. It's not that bad and certainly not as remote as you made out (and there are cabs too!).

Whilst it's not the most vibrant place to go out it's good enough (all imho of course). Bournemouth is alright, but not as good as here (again imho), although Brighton is a terrific place to go. Someone else mentioned Bristol - cracking place with lots of cultural attractions.

Liverpool is one of the best cities in the country to go out in, so its a bit pointless to highlight that various other towns and cities don't come up to scratch. Its a bit like saying Southampton isn't as good for a night out as London.

C'mon now Kraks, was always going to be my main case, and I'm not sure that it's as pointless a comparison as you may suggest. It's a great example of a place that works, and it works for many of the reasons listed by other posters. The whole thing can be walked, with things to do from the Albert Dock all the way up to the Philharmonic. That's precisely the sort of common sense thing that'd get Southampton a good rep, and the exact opposite of how we actually went about things.

Taxi drivers must love it there. Most people need them and they get to charge a relative fortune.

I was in Sheffield last week with Juvenile Unit #1. That is another very decent looking city, and a good example of how decent planning can overcome local issues. Sheffield, for the unacquainted, is quite hilly. They've got a tram system that makes a mockery of local geographical difficulties, resulting in a city where half a million people live on top of each other and getting into the centre of town is made a priority.

It's not impossible. Just requires a bit of will and a lot of cash. There are lessons to be learned from our successful city centres.

'That's the problem with a multicultural muppet show Pap. First we are all keen, getting all the loungers over here, moving us up to be the 2nd largest forum in the SWF universe. Then loungers come over here, stealing out threads, undercutting our pics of boobs with golf stories, ffs someone has even mentioned the theatre on this thread!

Before you know it the right wingers are up in arms, some people/bears have moved away and we are getting increased mod attention, with our own threads being taken in the night.

If you tolerate this the motor forum will be next, will be next.

Bristol - cracking place with lots of cultural attractions.

Bristol is one of the only two places on the planet that I have visited and vowed never to return to, and I've been to some horrible places in my time. What a godawful sh*thole it is, makes p*rtsm*uth look classy.

Bristol is one of the only two places on the planet that I have visited and vowed never to return to, and I've been to some horrible places in my time. What a godawful sh*thole it is, makes p*rtsm*uth look classy.

Lived there for 2 yrs and the accent just makes me laugh, I can't take anyone seriously.

Defo **** holes in certain parts, its like Brum of the south west.

Lived there for 2 yrs and the accent just makes me laugh, I can't take anyone seriously.

If you managed 2 years there, respect to you. I managed half a day, during which we got the car rammed by a lorry on the hideous traffic "system", then came close to getting stabbed in the town upon leaving said vehicle later. Still, I'm sure my permanent absence will help to free up Bristol's delights for a world eager to visit it.

Given your two year stay in the place, what would you say were Bristol's key cultural attractions? It's supposed to be sh!t hot, innit? :)