Being on call over xmas

Mewsta

Just after some thoughts really! I work in an IT department in London and the company want me to be on call on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve and New Years day. I don't have anything contractually tying me in to being on call as its a need that has only arisen this year from the business changing. The offer they have made me is £50 inconvenience a day (so effictively just to have my phone switched on) and time and a half for any call out I receive.

Personally I don't think it's worth it and £50 isn't gonna stop me going down the pub on these days and getting rat arsed. However I wouldn't have a clue what to ask for.....

Anybody got any thoughts???

Just after some thoughts really! I work in an IT department in London and the company want me to be on call on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve and New Years day. I don't have anything contractually tying me in to being on call as its a need that has only arisen this year from the business changing. The offer they have made me is £50 inconvenience a day (so effictively just to have my phone switched on) and time and a half for any call out I receive.

Personally I don't think it's worth it and £50 isn't gonna stop me going down the pub on these days and getting rat arsed. However I wouldn't have a clue what to ask for.....

But its not just a case of having your phine switched on. You cant plan to do anything, i.e visit relatives etc in case you are called out, so effectively you are at their disposal for the day. if it were me I would want at least paying the going rate for each day they would want me on call plus extra for each time I am called out. If they contracted it out they would have to pay per day for the contractors anyway

I am on call 365 days a year, so being called out over xmas isn't a problem.

I usually tell them, if I am capable of driving, I will. If I am drunk you'll have to pick me up.

If I don't want to go for any reason, I say I'm away in Cornwall for a couple of days.

If I don't want to go for any reason, I say I'm away in Cornwall for a couple of days.

This is the crux of the matter really IMO. What if you had made plans ie going to Cornwall?

How much would you ask for to cancel? Your employer will have a budget for this. If it isn't in your T's & C's I, like others have said, think you should ask for quite a lot more than they are offering.

Three of those days are bank holidays and the other is widely considered the party night of the year. So even if you can't be arsed with the festivities yourself, you will be enabling someone else to do so. It is more about how important those dates are to someone else who does mind working, as opposed to yourself who doesn't.

I personally would ask for at least treble time, or even double time and 4 days leave in looe (I think that's in Cornwall). see what I did there?

Good luck.

I usually tell them, if I am capable of driving, I will. If I am drunk you'll have to pick me up.

Your not a Girl by Any chance Dog.:smt047

Treble time for Holy Days (that covers Good Friday and Christmas Day).

Double time for other Bank Holidays

Let the arguing ensue!

I'm on call Boxing Day & News Years Day for an IT company too... I get £2.55 per hour on-call retainer (works out to £61.20 per day), if I get called I get paid time and a half from the moment I get called until I arrive home after resolving the issue plus a one-off "inconvenience" payment of £150 per day.... So that should give you an idea of what you can ask for!!

Treble time for Holy Days (that covers Good Friday and Christmas Day).

Double time for other Bank Holidays

Let the arguing ensue!

Holy or not, they are bank holidays.

Christmas Day = Someone wanting to be with their kids and spouse (and pretending to like them).

Boxing Day = Someone visiting family that they haven't seen all year (and pretending to like them).

New Years Eve = Someone wanting to Partay, with like minded people (and pretending to like them)

New Years Day = Someone wanting to simply chill and contemplate what the year ahead will bring (and pretending that it will be better than the crap one just gone).

Think of it in those terms and DO NOT let on that you are only up for it because you have no friends.

Oh yeah, I should probably mention that I have had a very bad week.

Edited by hamster
forgot to write "crap"

I'm on call Boxing Day & News Years Day for an IT company too... I get £2.55 per hour on-call retainer (works out to £61.20 per day), if I get called I get paid time and a half from the moment I get called until I arrive home after resolving the issue plus a one-off "inconvenience" payment of £150 per day.... So that should give you an idea of what you can ask for!!

Woah well done that man.

Maybe Im No Sinner could help out here too? What are you paying your AirCon engineers to be 'on call' around this time of year INS?

My SIL is an Air Con engineer and rakes it in over BH's. But apparently good air con guys are "like gold dust" (his words not mine), whereas someone who simply "turns it off, and turns it back on" (his words not mine) are ten a penny.

What happens if you get a call passed to you from say...Padstow..? Do you virtually convalesce elsewhere, say in Inverness, too just at the right moment..?

Our guys get £133 a week on call, plus if they get called out they get a min 4.5 hr O/T if over an hour.

All depends on what your supporting, how many users are utilising yr system, and what calls you might get.

If you can remote into your systems ask for a laptop and 3g card, thats what we do

Cheers for the info guys... in relation to a couple of questions, im supporting 300 users worldwide (UK, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Sydney & Los Angeles).

There is nothing in my Contract regarding being on call at all, as it's a new business need just arisen..... Sooo i think the way forward is to tell them I want the same amount as a contractor would get if they went external for it!!

Also Pip..... regarding the rat arsed comment, i was merely using it as an example that they need to offer me enough to take on the work and £50 in my eyes isn't for bank holidays!