Royal Mail e-mail scam

OldNick

Anyone else had one of these sent to them by e-mail. It has an attachment that you naturally want to open to check the item sent.

I'm not sure what the point is but I assume the attchment has a virus of some type,any ideas?

Your parcel (1) has been dispatched with Royal Mail.

The courier company was not able to deliver your package.

Label is enclosed to the letter.

Print a label and show it at your post office.

Label: AA17012014GB

Print this label to get this package at our post office.

Royal Mail authorises you to use its tracking systems solely to track shipments tendered by or for you to Royal Mail or Parcelforce Worldwide for delivery and for no other purpose. Any other use of tracking systems and information is strictly prohibited.

**Please note that this is an automatically generated email - replies will not be answered.

You already answered your question in your first line. Curious (and stupid) people will naturally want to open the attachment to try and find out what is in the parcel that is supposedly waiting for them at the depot. It's no different from the numerous spams I get on my work email with things like "Click this link to see if you are eligible for a tax refund", or "New voicemail waiting".

It's just a clever way to get viruses past your AV by zipping it up and trying to convince you to open the zip file.

You already answered your question in your first line. Curious (and stupid) people will naturally want to open the attachment to try and find out what is in the parcel that is supposedly waiting for them at the depot. It's no different from the numerous spams I get on my work email with things like "Click this link to see if you are eligible for a tax refund", or "New voicemail waiting".

It's just a clever way to get viruses past your AV by zipping it up and trying to convince you to open the zip file.

yep thats why i didnt but i can see how many would. What do the viruses actually achieve I cant see the point of them.

Get lots of these with I like your picture ones, got the wife trained never to open any of these attachments as they are most likely to be a virus. The old adage if it is too good to be true it probably is.
I find the picture ones normally come through Twitter

of course they dont work thats why they send out thousands a day

They rely on timing to catch a few unsuspecting people who are about to take receipt of a parcel from Royal Mail/DHL etc or due money from Inland Revenue/Santander/Barclays etc.