Interesting debate - and look who's taking part.

Fowllyd

Not sure Nick is a Lowe-luvvie as such - remember that the UI guys had some serious arguments with Dave Jones much earlier in Rupert's Chairmanship. Also, there's been a number of takeover stories on the UI site long after the ones here have died off.

Nick's got his view and he's entitled to air that. I don't agree with everything in that debate but I didn't see anything that made my blood boil either.

It says Nick Illingsworth Chairman of the Saints Trust and a shareholder in Southampton,

they mention hes a shareholder like it's a very significant thing, anyone know how much he owns? or did he just tell them to print that to big himself up? ;)

I'm neither a supporter or non-supporter of Nick Illingsworth. When he says something I agree with, I say so. And here I agree with him 100%. I would actually go further, and get rid of transfer window system entirely.

I remember Strachan being quoted as saying he hated the whole transfer window system, and I have to say I agree. It doesn't give any extra stability in terms of players being retained by clubs, as the rumour mill doesn't stop in September and suddenly start again in January - as we've seen. It can also cause horrific difficulties for clubs who lose a key player right at the end of the window.

It may be that Kevin McCarra's argument in favour of managers being subject to a transfer window was in fact a piece of devil's advocacy, and that he'd rather see the whole transfer window system removed. I have no idea about that though.