New Tower PC advice

Colinjb

I'm after a new unit to replace my now creaky 5 year old thing. Just need it to support my mobile devices, music, play Football Manager and browse the interwebs.

I am open to suggestions but have found this:

http://www.ballicom.co.uk/e4z60etabu-hp-prodesk-600-g1--tower--1-x-core-i3-4130--34-ghz--ram-4-gb--hdd-500-gb--dvd-supermulti--hd-graphics-4400--gige--windows-7-pro-64bit--8-pro-64bit-downgrade--preinstalle.p979842.html

Frankly, is it any good?

Either of the two Pap or Saintdarlo are better options, but this is better than both for what you want it for.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/desktop-pcs/refurbished-pcs/hp-pavilion-500-120ea-refurbished-desktop-pc-21832065-pdt.html

Quick processor, lot of storage, windows, good memory and the best price. The reason is the machine is 'refurbished'. What that means in practice is that it was bought at PC world and returned - either for a fault which has now been fixed, or just because the customer changed their mind. You still get a full 12 month guarantee. I have bought three from them over the past 10 years and all have been total bargains. I have just replaced a HP machine which was 5 years old, used 8 hours every day and was still faultless. Replaced it with another HP refurb machine from PC world.

The machine Pap recommends does have a £100 gaming graphics card which this one doesn't, but you don't need it "to support my mobile devices, music, play Football Manager and browse the interwebs". Anyway if you wanted you could add it and a new psu and still be £150 better off.

Either of the two Pap or Saintdarlo are better options, but this is better than both for what you want it for.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/desktop-pcs/refurbished-pcs/hp-pavilion-500-120ea-refurbished-desktop-pc-21832065-pdt.html

Quick processor, lot of storage, windows, good memory and the best price. The reason is the machine is 'refurbished'. What that means in practice is that it was bought at PC world and returned - either for a fault which has now been fixed, or just because the customer changed their mind. You still get a full 12 month guarantee. I have bought three from them over the past 10 years and all have been total bargains. I have just replaced a HP machine which was 5 years old, used 8 hours every day and was still faultless. Replaced it with another HP refurb machine from PC world.

The machine Pap recommends does have a £100 gaming graphics card which this one doesn't, but you don't need it "to support my mobile devices, music, play Football Manager and browse the interwebs". Anyway if you wanted you could add it and a new psu and still be £150 better off.

It's not just about gaming; although Football Manager will partially benefit.

The greater benefit is having a load of independent VRAM which is purely there for your graphics. A lot of other solutions involve sharing your main RAM, which is typically slower, and of course, takes memory away from other tasks. As soon as you run out of physical memory, your computer will start pretending your hard drive is also memory, making access to applications that much slower ( they have to be streamed back in to physical RAM, other tasks need to be streamed out to disk, etc ).

Taking inspiration from above I have now speced the components to build my own PC for the price that pap quoted as being excellent for my purpose.

The components are (in a nutshell)

AMD Vishera 4.2 GHz processor.

Asus M5A97 Motherboard.

XFX 2 Gb AMD Graphics card.

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 16Gb DDR 3 ram

1 TB Hard Drive with 60 Gb solid state to run the OS.

XFX 650w Power supply.

Should be more then enough to keep me going (And make my desire to buy an Xbox One redundant? That's a topic for a different fractious thread)! Now to build the thing. Never done this kind of thing before.... should be interesting!

Well, that was easier then I expected! Aside from being one SATA cable short (for the 1 Tb hard drive) and needing a HDMI to VGA adapter (I'm running this through my television, VGA out in either the motherboard or graphics card) it fitted together easily and runs like a dream! Having RAM with green LED's attached to it may become rather tiresome though.

Well, that was easier then I expected! Aside from being one SATA cable short (for the 1 Tb hard drive) and needing a HDMI to VGA adapter (I'm running this through my television, VGA out in either the motherboard or graphics card) it fitted together easily and runs like a dream! Having RAM with green LED's attached to it may become rather tiresome though.

What's the total damage?

Ok, all cables secured, but: The hard drive is not being recognised by the computer. The only thing missing is a four pin attachement next to the power supply and sata cables on the back of the unit.

Model is a Seagate Baracuda St1000dm003 1Tb

I've been into the BIOS and it has detected that it's there, but go into Windows Explorer and it isn't there.

Any ideas?

Edit: All sorted, hadn't realised that I needed to go into Disc management and Initialise the thing. All taken care of now.

Edited by Colinjb

That's a decent enough rig, Colinjb.

I expect that the next seven nights will involve:-

1) Looking through Steam library

2) Identifying games that ran like poo on your old PC

3) Installing games

4) Playing for 5 minutes and thinking "ooh, that's nice"

5) Uninstalling 90% of installed games.

Fun times!

What's the cheapest I could spend for something to play Elder Scrolls Online?

I might have something you could use. Ive just upgraded my desktop and Ive got a spare HP with Q6600 processor, 3 mb ram and HD5570 graphics card running windows 7. Its got a little buggy and could do with a clean install but I've got the licence number. Its six years old but works fine and matches the 'recommended' spec for Elder Scrolls.

I might have something you could use. Ive just upgraded my desktop and Ive got a spare HP with Q6600 processor, 3 mb ram and HD5570 graphics card running windows 7. Its got a little buggy and could do with a clean install but I've got the licence number. Its six years old but works fine and matches the 'recommended' spec for Elder Scrolls.

Hmmm you had me until the "6 years old" lol, how much do you want?

Hmmm you had me until the "6 years old" lol, how much do you want?

You can have it if you want to pick it from near Brighton - or wait till Im back in Southampton (I was there today as it happens). Its old but fine - it was a quick machine in its day. Probably equivalent to about a mid spec I-3 machine now. As I said it would benefit from having windows reinstalled - both to get rid of a couple of annoying bugs and also because its running a 32 bit version atm and it would benefit from getting the 64 bit version.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600-vs-Intel-Core-i3-530

You can have it if you want to pick it from near Brighton - or wait till Im back in Southampton (I was there today as it happens). Its old but fine - it was a quick machine in its day. Probably equivalent to about a mid spec I-3 machine now. As I said it would benefit from having windows reinstalled - both to get rid of a couple of annoying bugs and also because its running a 32 bit version atm and it would benefit from getting the 64 bit version.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600-vs-Intel-Core-i3-530

Well that would be awesome next time your down Southampton way!