Israel / Gaza

Minty

It's admirable that you're trying to grasp such complex topics, Charlie - but don't you think you'd be better off getting a handle on the basics first? Just a few posts ago, you were adamant that Egypt didn't recognise Hamas, yet today, a long term ceasefire between Israel and Hamas has been brokered by Egypt

Just seen this. Its dangerous to patronise when you aren't sure of the basics yourself. Hamas are hostile to Egypt and have been since the current Sisi regime overthrew overthrew the Muslim Brotherhood regime of Mohammed Morsi. The Muslim Brotherhood are the parent organisation / have close ties to Hamas. The Sisi regime see Hamas as a terrorist organisation and would rather see Fatah or someone else in control.

I only comment on stuff I know something about. Try it. Which parts are wrong then Brett? given your in depth experience within the heart of the MoD an all.

just passing comment.

there does not seem to be a subject on this place where you do not tell others they are wrong and go on to give us all the right response.

I am probably wrong, just pointing out an observation. Nothing personal so don't take offence (which you have)

It's admirable that you're trying to grasp such complex topics, Charlie - but don't you think you'd be better off getting a handle on the basics first? Just a few posts ago, you were adamant that Egypt didn't recognise Hamas, yet today, a long term ceasefire between Israel and Hamas has been brokered by Egypt

Just seen this. Its dangerous to patronise when you aren't sure of the basics yourself. Hamas are hostile to Egypt and have been since the current Sisi regime overthrew overthrew the Muslim Brotherhood regime of Mohammed Morsi. The Muslim Brotherhood are the parent organisation / have close ties to Hamas. The Sisi regime see Hamas as a terrorist organisation and would rather see Fatah or someone else in control.

My point was simply one of recognition. Why would a country that doesn't recognise Hamas allow it to hold conciliatory talks with Israel on its soil? Who did they send the invites to?

I wasn't saying that they're all best pals; just that if they're inviting Hamas to peace talks in their country, Charlie's point about recognition is crap.

As you say, get the basics right.

just passing comment.

there does not seem to be a subject on this place where you do not tell others they are wrong and go on to give us all the right response.

I am probably wrong, just pointing out an observation. Nothing personal so don't take offence (which you have)

Its mostly Pap I say is wrong, mainly because he is frequently factually wrong. I dont usually comment when people have a different interpretation of events.

Its mostly Pap I say is wrong, mainly because he is frequently factually wrong. I dont usually comment when people have a different interpretation of events.

And yet, you've made yourself look like a simpleton with your interpretation of my very simple point.

That's almost genius.

My point was simply one of recognition. Why would a country that doesn't recognise Hamas allow it to hold conciliatory talks with Israel on its soil? Who did they send the invites to?

I wasn't saying that they're all best pals; just that if they're inviting Hamas to peace talks in their country, Charlie's point about recognition is crap.

As you say, get the basics right.

Fair comment. Obviously Egypt are supportive of Palestine generally. That didnt prevent this though. http://www.ibtimes.com/egypt-accuses-palestinian-elements-being-involved-sinai-attacks-postpones-gaza-peace-talks-1713436

Go on then which part was wrong.

The part where you tried to audition for Verbal's empty spot, and spouted out a load of background that is not germane to Egypt's recognition of Hamas.

The last peace deal was brokered in Cairo, with Hamas and Israel at the table. Your points don't change that or the implied recognition. They're wrong in their application to the argument.

The part where you tried to audition for Verbal's empty spot, and spouted out a load of background that is not germane to Egypt's recognition of Hamas.

The last peace deal was brokered in Cairo, with Hamas and Israel at the table. Your points don't change that or the implied recognition. They're wrong in their application to the argument.

Well done, failed yet again to grasp the point. I chided you for patronising Charlie for being wrong when you yourself are frequently wrong on Palestine - I wasnt claiming Egypt didnt recognise Hamas. In any event there is a major difference between recognising a party as a major player in a conflict and that you need to deal with them to create peace (aka the British government and the IRA) and accepting them as the best leadership for Palestine.

Well done, failed yet again to grasp the point. I chided you for patronising Charlie for being wrong when you yourself are frequently wrong on Palestine - I wasnt claiming Egypt didnt recognise Hamas. In any event there is a major difference between recognising a party as a major player in a conflict and that you need to deal with them to create peace (aka the British government and the IRA) and accepting them as the best leadership for Palestine.

Ah, I see. Widen the argument to frequent, yet oddly uncited instances of me being "wrong on Palestine".

Perhaps you'd like to mention just one or two?