Chairman on 5 live at 8pm 5th August

positivepete

I know it's fashionable to criticise him but the interview was good enough for me. If it's true they don't want to sell the club, won't sell Morgan and have signings planned then great.

I don't mind any opinion from pundits, but the continued factual errors do annoy me. Just shows a complete lack of research and football knowledge. Yet whether in the media or on here, say that and you're met with 'it's just my opinion', suggesting they also don't understand what an opinion is.

Saints are starting from scratch. Not while the core of the midfield is here. For me the key last season was Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Cork and Davis. Every match there was a solid midfield and right now we still have that. We had good fast young english fullbacks, and we still do.

Questions are CB quality, attacking options and squad depth. But there is time to answer all that hopefully in the next 2 weeks, and I have no doubt we'll sign another player or two nearer deadline day.

People worry about Anfield, but to me it's good to have a tough game opening day in this scenario. We can't throw away a good chance of points.

that little word at the start of your 2nd sentence is the key "if",

people want to believe him but that nagging doubt remains

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested (probably not) but this is the BBC's reply to the complaint about this interview:

Many thanks for getting in touch. We're sorry to learn you were unhappy about a recent item in 5 Live Sport.

We apologise for the delay in replying to your e-mail. We realise that our correspondents appreciate a quick response and we’re sorry that you had to wait on this occasion.

Having reviewed audience feedback personally with the station's senior editorial and management teams including the sport editor on the programme itself, we feel the segment was balanced on the whole with the main feature being a 13-minute interview with the Southampton Chairman who explained very well the club’s actions and how it would help them bring in new players. The interview also gave the club's Chairman the chance to answer questions about the speculation surrounding both Morgan Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez, and also to state that the club is definitely not for sale.

The presenter made the point in the interview that this could actually be seen as very good business, and made the point in the following debate that Southampton “have got a fantastic academy, brought a couple of players in already, they’ve got a lot of money in the bank…”.

We also acknowledged those supporters who are very happy with the situation at their club and who therefore disagreed with our panel by reading the following Twitter comments:

EKELUND 24

I think you are misreading the thoughts of #saintsfc fans! I for one think we will have a great season, top ten easily.

ANDY

I am sure quite a few journalists said we would struggle last season? I don't think we did too bad in the end.

CHRIS

only judge #saintsfc When the transfer window is closed and after 10 games! Media are desperate to see us struggle with no reason

MATT

Don't mind that we have accepted these offers. Its been good for business. Im just worried about how slow we are at replacing them. We had a small squad last season and we need at least a 4 more players.

That said, we do accept that there were some unfortunate factual errors in the segment for which we apologise. Steve Claridge accepts he got the relationship between Markus and Katharina wrong, but this was a slip of the tongue rather than any lack of knowledge. Morgan Schneiderlin did sign from Strasbourg rather than Lille and the amount paid for Rodriguez was £7 million rather than £12 million – neither of these had much of an effect on the overall discussion, but of course we’d prefer not to make these mistakes and we thank you for alerting us to them.

We value your feedback about these issues. All complaints are sent to senior management and programme makers every morning and I included your points in this overnight report.

These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the BBC and ensures that your complaint has been seen by the right people quickly. This helps inform their decisions about current and future programmes.

Once again, thank you for contacting us.

Kind Regards

Philip Young

BBC Complaints

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.

If anyone is interested (probably not) but this is the BBC's reply to the complaint about this interview:

Many thanks for getting in touch. We're sorry to learn you were unhappy about a recent item in 5 Live Sport.

We apologise for the delay in replying to your e-mail. We realise that our correspondents appreciate a quick response and we’re sorry that you had to wait on this occasion.

Having reviewed audience feedback personally with the station's senior editorial and management teams including the sport editor on the programme itself, we feel the segment was balanced on the whole with the main feature being a 13-minute interview with the Southampton Chairman who explained very well the club’s actions and how it would help them bring in new players. The interview also gave the club's Chairman the chance to answer questions about the speculation surrounding both Morgan Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez, and also to state that the club is definitely not for sale.

The presenter made the point in the interview that this could actually be seen as very good business, and made the point in the following debate that Southampton “have got a fantastic academy, brought a couple of players in already, they’ve got a lot of money in the bank…”.

We also acknowledged those supporters who are very happy with the situation at their club and who therefore disagreed with our panel by reading the following Twitter comments:

EKELUND 24

I think you are misreading the thoughts of #saintsfc fans! I for one think we will have a great season, top ten easily.

ANDY

I am sure quite a few journalists said we would struggle last season? I don't think we did too bad in the end.

CHRIS

only judge #saintsfc When the transfer window is closed and after 10 games! Media are desperate to see us struggle with no reason

MATT

Don't mind that we have accepted these offers. Its been good for business. Im just worried about how slow we are at replacing them. We had a small squad last season and we need at least a 4 more players.

That said, we do accept that there were some unfortunate factual errors in the segment for which we apologise. Steve Claridge accepts he got the relationship between Markus and Katharina wrong, but this was a slip of the tongue rather than any lack of knowledge. Morgan Schneiderlin did sign from Strasbourg rather than Lille and the amount paid for Rodriguez was £7 million rather than £12 million – neither of these had much of an effect on the overall discussion, but of course we’d prefer not to make these mistakes and we thank you for alerting us to them.

We value your feedback about these issues. All complaints are sent to senior management and programme makers every morning and I included your points in this overnight report.

These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the BBC and ensures that your complaint has been seen by the right people quickly. This helps inform their decisions about current and future programmes.

Once again, thank you for contacting us.

Kind Regards

Philip Young

BBC Complaints

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.