Chairman on 5 live at 8pm 5th August

positivepete

reaction in the studio

saints are not the only team with a very good youth set up, they come across as they have

they will struggle hugely with the mad strategy they have taken

koeman will have to be an exceptional coach to make them competitive

Ralph comes across as a media diplomat

worrying faith in so many youngsters with no first team experience

Brought through academy players and sold at optimum prices. Sensible to sell 1 per season

to sell what they have so far this summer is utter madness

southampton have simply failed to bring in the players that ralph suggests

southampton have spent a lot of money in the last couple of years

club has a very good set up

morgan is making is very clear he wants out. be interesting to see his attitude if he is still there

Fair enough viewpoint I think. End of the day, selling is one thing, but we simply haven't brought enough quality in to offset the loss.

It's ok being patient but it seems we are going to be the ones ****ing around in the last weeks of the window chasing anyone who is available.

If you are going to sell as we have, then the incomings are even more vital. Koeman does have a bloody tough job, perhaps tougher than he realises.

Its painful listening to the panel, their opinions are questionable, but what grates perhaps more is the clear factual error after factual error from all of them.

Pleat got Morgan's old club wrong - a trifling error. But otherwise was spot on. His knowledge of the current academy output was particularly impressive.

Seriously? You're able to make that full judgement on his ability based on the fact he doesn't say what you want him to say and how you want him to say it?

Not fair to just pick on you here Colin, so apologies for that, but there are too many people making judgements clouded by their own expectations IMO...

No offense taken at the converse perspective. However, I can only go on how the club has behaved in the last 6 months and put that against his words. I stand by my opinion, the guy is utterly out of his depth.

I'm not familiar with this radio show, but having just now listened to it, I smell that they are in love with the exodus story and want Saints to fail so as to contrast their successes last year. It just makes better listening in their opinion.

Ralph said nothing much new as he was asked the same old tired questions from a couple of weeks ago.

There was really nothing new here, and it's sad to say that Auntie Beeb come across to me just as badly and amateurish as Talkcrap. Just ask Mrs. Markus about that!!??:mcinnes:

reaction in the studio

saints are not the only team with a very good youth set up, they come across as they have

Brought through academy players and sold at optimum prices. Sensible to sell 1 per season

morgan is making is very clear he wants out. be interesting to see his attitude if he is still there

Can't argue with any of that.

hahahhahaha twitter reaction

"@bbc5live you clueless bunch of ******s... You know absolutely faack all!! Claridge is full of **** & Pleat is a ****in donkey #saintsfc"

"That's news... Jay Rod moved for £12million, Schneiderlin came from Lille and Katharina Liebherr is Markus's widow... #saintsfc"

"So, all that was discovered from that interview is that the BBC staff are ****ing useless. #saintsfc"

Edited by Convict Colony

Ralph Krueger, speaking to BBC 5live on Tuesday the 5th of August:

- At the time, with the information available to us, we believed it was best to keep the status quo

- Mauricio then decided to move on and take a shortcut into Europe

- With sports, you have to expect the unexpected

- When we speak about players out, we must judge that based on players in

- We now have a manager in Ronald Koeman who is in line with our strategy and philosophy

- We also now have a manager who is in this for the long-term, to build something

- The positive to take is that it gives Koeman a chance to build his own Saints side

- I feel for the fans and I do apologise

- But, we couldn't talk about all the details at the time (surrounding Pochettino etc.)

- There's still a few weeks left in the transfer window

- Hopefully the fans can be patient and see what we're going to do

- My role here at Saints is to find the best possible people for executive management positions

- The mechanics of major league sports is very familiar

- However, the transfer market here is very 'interesting' and dynamic

- We need to be successful and sustainable

(BBC play clip of Cortese talking about 'how to win the Premier League' to Krueger)

- I never met my predecessor, but I do believe what is important is the extremely strong infrastructure

- The club has had this infrastructure for decades now

- We will have new players to put into our line-up

- Look at the opportunity given to Luke Shaw also, he wouldn't have got that at many other Premier League clubs

- We're looking to use our funds to create a deeper and stronger roster

- I believe we will also see a few more names grow out of our academy and into our first team this season

- We never said one of our players were for sale

- We never aggressively attempted to sell anyone

- Ronald understood what was going to happen

- He has been a part of the process, every single part of it

- He accepted that it would be a turbulent first summer

- The fact of the matter is that we then looked at our first team and decided that Morgan was a centre-piece

- We've made it very clear, he's not for sale

- What matters now at Saints is how we are looking against Liverpool

- Morgan will be there for Liverpool - (when asked specifically if Morgan will be in our matchday squad against Liverpool)

- Jay is also a definite centre-piece

- But he still has months of rehab and we look forward to rehabilitating him

- What has happened, has happened [with Morgan]

- I don't need to discuss that

- We are going to retain Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin

- We look forward to building our new-look side around those two

- We want to be a difficult team to play against

- Our aspirations are to grow the club into Europe

- This is a step-by-step process

- The process must occur at all levels

- We did not feel this was in place when we arrived

- We had to make some payments

- We now have a strong sum that gives us an opportunity to reinvest in the club

- We are not going to rush

- We've been given a green light by the owner

- She has enabled us to reinvest the funds in a combination of transfers

- I was not hired to coach the team

- I am here to create a management culture

- We want to be as well run as a club can be in the Premier League

- I want to say to the fans, we don't expect trust overnight

- What I would like to ask them for, is time

- We will earn their trust through our actions, not just words

- The club is not for sale

- I wouldn't have turned down some very nice jobs as a Head Coach in the NHL

- Katharina has given her full backing for the club to reinvest

- She has also told me that the club is not for sale

- We want to continue to build on the strong foundations that have been here for decades

- We want to build into the future of this football club

"Mrs Liebherr" says Southampton not for sale.

Morgan not for sale.

On the other hand, none of our players this summer were for sale either.

Yep. Gonna take a long time before we believe anything he says again. If I was KL I would sack him. I'm sorry, but there is nothing wrong with what he is trying to say tonight... but he's lost the fan base. Blokes an idiot. No faith in what he has to say. Sack him.

Edited by SaintRobbie

His knowledge of the current academy output was particularly impressive.

Yeah I thought that, reeled a bunch of academy names off the top of his head and said they weren't ready. Prob the only pundit who even knows who e.g. Turnbull is

Its painful listening to the panel, their opinions are questionable, but what grates perhaps more is the clear factual error after factual error from all of them.

What do you expect with a panel that has the combined iq of an amoeba? I mean claridge FFS he is a skate that doesn't know the difference between wife and daughter (no surprises there tho').

What a difference when they ran the tape from a Cortese interview....The man in control and with a plan vs The Man with the waffle and like a rabbit in the head lights....Sheez....how far we've gone backwards in such a short time.

And WTF was blaming Saints fans for "not understanding the process" all about?

Well, to be honest, no one here does have a clue, so he's right. He wasn't blaming anyone, just pointing out, quite rightly IMO, that unless you're within the club and part of the process, then chances are you don't know what goes on.

I think you mean you not we.

No I mean the majority. When the evidence is there for us all to see how much money has been reinvested and how much better the team is, then 'we' will make an informed decision. But I can't abide spin doctor and managers who lose the customers faith - I remove them. Its basic leadership.

He qualified that by mentioning the silence of the board at that time. If you don't have the information, you can have no clear understanding of the situation.

Edit Minty beat me to it.

Yep. Gonna take a long time before we believe anything he says again. If I was KL I would sack him. I'm sorry, but there is nothing wrong with what he is trying to say tonight... but he's lost the fan base. Blokes an idiot. No faith in what he has to say. Sack him.

If you were KL you would be working with him on a daily basis and know more about what actually happens, rather than commenting from a position of significant ignorance.

He hasn't lost me. I'm certainly no fan of his, but I don't think he deserves the judgement that some of you have put on him.

No I mean the majority. When the evidence is there for us all to see how much money has been reinvested and how much better the team is, then 'we' will make an informed decision.

So guilty until proven innocent then?

If you were KL you would be working with him on a daily basis and know more about what actually happens, rather than commenting from a position of significant ignorance.

He hasn't lost me. I'm certainly no fan of his, but I don't think he deserves the judgement that some of you have put on him.

Minty. My heart bleeds for him. My head says get rid of this Canadian idiot and go and raid whoever is running Liverpool behind the scenes - because they are ruthless and ambitious. AND know what they're doing.

What a difference when they ran the tape from a Cortese interview....The man in control and with a plan vs The Man with the waffle and like a rabbit in the head lights....Sheez....how far we've gone backwards in such a short time.

boo hoo - time to cwy!

Fair enough viewpoint I think. End of the day, selling is one thing, but we simply haven't brought enough quality in to offset the loss.

It's ok being patient but it seems we are going to be the ones ****ing around in the last weeks of the window chasing anyone who is available.

If you are going to sell as we have, then the incomings are even more vital. Koeman does have a bloody tough job, perhaps tougher than he realises.

So here we have a top international and club player and yet he didnt see what you can see about how tough the job is going to be? :mcinnes:

So guilty until proven innocent then?

Guilty as charged - so far he's demonstrated very little integrity and been part of a major player exodus and a Boardroom of mismanagement. We're in the plea in mitigation stage now Minty. I think as a manager - based on his performance to date - I would have absolutely no redress if I sacked him. Genuinely. But, you're right, there may be something else going on behind the scenes for the owner.... e.g. he's trying to sell the club for her.

And WTF was blaming Saints fans for "not understanding the process" all about?[/QUOTE]

He is spot on. You only have to look at the rubbish spouted here every day by those without one ounce of patience or knowledge about how transfers are conducted.

What's Cortese's plan for taking the club forward? Edited by Sour Mash

Guilty as charged - so far he's demonstrated very little integrity and been part of a major player exodus and a Boardroom of mismanagement. We're in the plea in mitigation stage now Minty. I think as a manager - based on his performance to date - I would have absolutely no redress if I sacked him. Genuinely. But, you're right, there may be something else going on behind the scenes for the owner.... e.g. he's trying to sell the club for her.

Surely you're not calling him a liar after him publicly saying the Club isn't for sale?

Well, to be honest, no one here does have a clue, so he's right. He wasn't blaming anyone, just pointing out, quite rightly IMO, that unless you're within the club and part of the process, then chances are you don't know what goes on.

Peeps don't understand the process of selling off the spine our first team because 'Wreck it and Reed' said it wouldn't happen........Now its the fans fault because they got the wrong impression from their weasel words.......Having said that i see there's one or peeps around still hanging off every last one of them.

No accounting for gullibility

I liked the bit where he justified the departures so far by saying the players weren't actually for sale, and then went on to try and comfort us by saying that neither Morgan, nor the club itself, are for sale.

What a tool.

There is a difference between players that are on the market and players that could go if the price is right. This is the same for every club. Every player has his price. He has said seveeal times that we are not selling MS or the club. If we do either then yes, by all means call him names. As things stand I dont see what your problem is.

I liked the bit where he justified the departures so far by saying the players weren't actually for sale, and then went on to try and comfort us by saying that neither Morgan, nor the club itself, are for sale.

What a tool.

You've misunderstood what he said... by quite a considerable amount!

I'm with Minty on this. Time will tell who is right and who is wrong, but in the meantime, I wish that people would stop including me in their blind condemnations of the man by assuming that we are all in the same camp.

You've really had the stuffing knocked out you. Used to be a very positive poster as well.

Well you have to admit, things have gone a little off track, to say the least. I have no reason at this moment in time to be positive!

Peeps don't understand the process of selling off the spine our first team because 'Wreck it and Reed' said it wouldn't happen........Now its the fans fault because they got the wrong impression from their weasel words.......Having said that i see there's one or peeps around still hanging off every last one of them.

No accounting for gullibility

No he didnt say it wouldnt happen. Jeez. He said it would only happen if it was right for the club and the manager agreed. What is so hard to understand about that? The only players he said we are not selling are Morgan and Jay as these are part of the core that the club want to build around. If either of these get sold feel free to wet the bed.

reaction in the studio

Not entirely sure what the issue with that reaction is ? Dealing purely in facts we are in a worse position now then the end of last season and its what ? 2 weeks until the big k/off ?

Whilst there is still time to bring some very able players in the upheaval in the squad will be difficult to overcome early in the season. Overall we will be ok however I personally think it will be a mid bottom finish.

I cant see how this is an unreasonable viewpoint to have ? And one thats shared with the majority of the footballing world as a whole ?

Good summary batman

Saint Steve I might be a tad naive but I remain optomistic for the future . I have done so for many decades and will do for a couple more decades before I disappear from this earth .

Yes I get down but the next day I brush myself down and then the passion returns

David pleat now upsetting the man city fans

Minty. My heart bleeds for him. My head says get rid of this Canadian idiot and go and raid whoever is running Liverpool behind the scenes - because they are ruthless and ambitious. AND know what they're doing.

Didn't we agree we pulled down their pants over the fee's for Lovren and Lallana ?