Chairman on 5 live at 8pm 5th August

positivepete

Simon Peach is tweeting lines from his interview, certainly seems like new info:

https://twitter.com/SimonPeach

Ralph Krueger believes it would have been an "insane risk" for HYPERLINK "/hashtag/SaintsFC?src=hash"#SaintsFC to keep a core of disgruntled players this summer

Krueger: "If a few players are disgruntled or maybe not sure about it, you can swallow that up. You can't have half the team"

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

Finally, some honesty. Doesn't explain why no obvious replacements have been lined up and signed prior to some of the departures though.

So the sales were nothing to do with FFP compliance then.

Just disgruntled players which begs the question why?

Pretty obvious why. They had offers to treble their wages from teams actually in the running to win titles and play European football.

Once one went the others wanted too, and in some cases still do.

Im not expecting a top 4 no, but then they have only lost one first 11 player which makes your arguement ultimately redundant. Do you disagree with the other points or just that one ?

Apparently they havent stopped buying yet and could potentially field a starting X1 just as new as ours.

So the sales were nothing to do with FFP compliance then.

Just disgruntled players which begs the question why?

Its blatantly obvious why, they wanted...

- a better chance of European football

- improved international chances

- huge wage rise

- to play for some of the biggest clubs in World football

Thats why they left, and thats why people shouldn't use it to attack the club.

Apparently they havent stopped buying yet and could potentially field a starting X1 just as new as ours.

And Id suggest major upheaval this close to the season will directly effect early performance, happened to madrid, city and recently sunderland.

Plus we have actually lost 4 of our core players, 3 of the spine and so Id say it is more impactful than just adding to an already strong side.

- huge wage rise

Thats why they left, and thats why people shouldn't use it to attack the club.

And there were issues in the dressing room.

Noone is openly attacking the club, whats done is done MLG.

Good article. Interesting some of the ones sold (presumably Chambers) were not viewed as starters.

Also very firm on Morgan and Jay.

Interesting line here:

“One of the big things was to stop the investments from Katharina,” Krueger says. “When she sees 30,000 people having pleasure watching the team perform it makes her happy in the memory of why her father [Markus] invested in the first place.

So is he admitting KL wants to scale back her investment in Saints or have I read that wrong?

Saints fans to me are now like passengers on a heavier than air machine which is now taking

off for a flight without quite enough fuel to get to their destination. The flight crew haven't

even worked out a plan for if they have to divert to another airport because they have been

promised mid-air refuelling. They are so sure that all will be ok because a nice bloke has just

told them it will be.

- huge wage rise

Thank you Matthew. Sharp as a tack except for they had no problems getting international recognition at SFC and Spurs are not one of the 'biggest clubs in the world' or playing CL (I note you now say European instead of CL)

Good article. Interesting some of the ones sold (presumably Chambers) were not viewed as starters.

Interesting line here:

“One of the big things was to stop the investments from Katharina,” Krueger says. “When she sees 30,000 people having pleasure watching the team perform it makes her happy in the memory of why her father [Markus] invested in the first place.

So is he admitting KL wants to scale back her investment in Saints or have I read that wrong?

My interpretation would be that she doesn't want to keep putting her own money in.

Saints fans to me are now like passengers on a heavier than air machine which is now taking

off for a flight without quite enough fuel to get to their destination. The flight crew haven't

even worked out a plan for if they have to divert to another airport because they have been

promised mid-air refuelling. They are so sure that all will be ok because a nice bloke has just

told them it will be.

That's because a Saints fan is there for the journey, wherever it takes us! Did you not know that?

Pretty obvious why. They had offers to treble their wages from teams actually in the running to win titles and play European football.

Once one went the others wanted too, and in some cases still do.

It's not effing rocket science, is it? Apart from Lambert, who had sentimental reasons, the others are patently obvious. Mourinho complaining that Shaw wanted too much in wages: Chelsea have money but if any club is more desperate than us it's Man U! I reckon the main disappointment is Chambers, as I suspect he'll be pulled back by the paralysing affects of Arsenal's bench.

My own biggest criticism is not lining up incoming before outgoing, but it obviously takes more persuading to get players to come to us.

My dearest wish now is to have a half decent season: beating Liverpool and Spurs would help tremendously and it would be so satisfying to wave goodbye to Pochettino.. We can but dream..

Interesting line here:

No you have read it right - your interpretation of what he said May or may not be wrong. Mine is that we cannot expect her to keep putting her hand in her pocket to the extent she has been & rightly so. We need to eventually become self sustainable (or very near) and cut our cloth to the measure of a club the size of SFC. The alternative is to start on down a road where you end up with that lot down the road.

Thank you Matthew. Sharp as a tack except for they had no problems getting international recognition at SFC and Spurs are not one of the 'biggest clubs in the world' or playing CL (I note you now say European instead of CL)

I said "improved international chances" not international chances. I'm of course aware they have been recognised to varying degrees at international level, but playing for a bigger side generally makes it more likely you'll start games for your country.

I also didn't say all those factors were weighted equally for all the players, different ones have different pulls to different factors. Can you honestly not see why those factors left some of out better players wanting to leave?

You appear to want to discredit Spurs, but they are still a more attractive club than us for players and shouldn't be a surprise to see our players want to join them. Its when we start losing key players to **** teams its the time to worry, not to Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool.

There is a difference between players that are on the market and players that could go if the price is right. This is the same for every club. Every player has his price. He has said seveeal times that we are not selling MS or the club. If we do either then yes, by all means call him names. As things stand I dont see what your problem is.

The bottom line is that everything is for sale. It's quite simple. Getting all excited because another exec says " x isn't for sale" is an over reaction.

I know I'm in a minority and it could well come back and bite me in the future, but I do quite like Krueger and do find him believable in the main.

Isnt the club captain Kelvin Davis?

Only player that has stuck with Saint for many years without giving it the I need new horizons routine. Made his choice on our way down and since has been nothing but a devoted member of the team and is ending his playing career with us.

I said "improved international chances" not international chances. I'm of course aware they have been recognised to varying degrees at international level, but playing for a bigger side generally makes it more likely you'll start games for your country.

I also didn't say all those factors were weighted equally for all the players, different ones have different pulls to different factors. Can you honestly not see why those factors left some of out better players wanting to leave?

You appear to want to discredit Spurs, but they are still a more attractive club than us for players and shouldn't be a surprise to see our players want to join them. Its when we start losing key players to **** teams its the time to worry, not to Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool.

Not trying to discredit Spurs at all but by no stretch are they one of the 'worlds biggest clubs' or playing CL football which was your other trump card - which you've now revised to European football. You've at least conceded your argument about international recognition is null. So maybe there are other factors to the exodus as suggested elsewhere in the thread and not quite as 'blatantly' obvious as you might want to myopically believe. Maybe.

Edited by Greenridge

Interesting line here:

I don't see the problem with this statement. Look, we're a 'provincial' club who was batting above its weight for 27 years in the top flight. Finishing 2nd once in an era where football was so different it was unreal; I mean, signing Keegan is like us signing Messi, Ronaldo or Bale now, right? It's mental!

We have never and will never have the fanbase of Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal. They are the 3 defacto top clubs by power of revenue alone. Chelsea and Man City have joined them by ridiculous injections of cash and in the case of Man City, have fallen foul of the FFP rules.

Even when we had the Dell with "unlimited" standing, 30,000 people was our max. Sure, for a big game we could pull 45/50000, but in these times of austerity, that would be once or twice a season. 30/35000 is about right for us and we're about the right size for a mid-table club who occasionally gets some amazing players (last season) that could propel us higher. Many would argue Pochettino should have done better with these players ......

But, why should we expect her to pump in her own cash? She has a self-sustaining, mid-table Prem side who make fluke the odd appearance in Europe and that keeps producing top class talent.

The trouble with a lot of Saints fans is Sky; the Sky generation.

MLG is massively chipper come hell or high water but I rather agree with what he has said here and would like to point out that no players have gone to spurs.

A manager, who's links to the ousted chairman are far from secret, was tetchy from the moment NC left and it is no surprise he jumped at the chance to go to a team at a level we simply are not (even if, had he been loyal, he may have found himself in-line for bigger and better things!)

I don't see the problem with this statement. Look, we're a 'provincial' club who was batting above its weight for 27 years in the top flight. Finishing 2nd once in an era where football was so different it was unreal; I mean, signing Keegan is like us signing Messi, Ronaldo or Bale now, right? It's mental!

We have never and will never have the fanbase of Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal. They are the 3 defacto top clubs by power of revenue alone. Chelsea and Man City have joined them by ridiculous injections of cash and in the case of Man City, have fallen foul of the FFP rules.

Even when we had the Dell with "unlimited" standing, 30,000 people was our max. Sure, for a big game we could pull 45/50000, but in these times of austerity, that would be once or twice a season. 30/35000 is about right for us and we're about the right size for a mid-table club who occasionally gets some amazing players (last season) that could propel us higher. Many would argue Pochettino should have done better with these players ......

But, why should we expect her to pump in her own cash? She has a self-sustaining, mid-table Prem side who make fluke the odd appearance in Europe and that keeps producing top class talent.

Good post

I should like to express a huge thank you to Batman, Saint_Armstrong for taking time and summarising the Ralph Kreuger interview. I have yet to listen to what was broadcast but thanks to both of you for being true Saints.

I also want to thank Minty for his positive input and being the poster/supporter he's been consistently for more than 15 years. It's a huge shame that his abilities are lost here in the heart of all the crap being posted. I wish Minty you'd seriously consider restarting a decent forum like March'In where supporters who really love the club could get together without all the negativity and utter crap one has to wade thru on here. Where has everything gone wrong on here. We have decent admins but far too much crap is tolerated to the point the forum is no longer enjoyable, reliable and the upholder of integrity amongst the Saints community.

Thanks to all genuine Saints posters.

I should like to express a huge thank you to Batman, Saint_Armstrong for taking time and summarising the Ralph Kreuger interview. I have yet to listen to what was broadcast but thanks to both of you for being true Saints.

I also want to thank Minty for his positive input and being the poster/supporter he's been consistently for more than 15 years. It's a huge shame that his abilities are lost here in the heart of all the crap being posted. I wish Minty you'd seriously consider restarting a decent forum like March'In where supporters who really love the club could get together without all the negativity and utter crap one has to wade thru on here. Where has everything gone wrong on here. We have decent admins but far too much crap is tolerated to the point the forum is no longer enjoyable, reliable and the upholder of integrity amongst the Saints community.

Ahh Marching In!

+ Dave Currie on the Uni server dishing up the "official Saints Website"!

Thanks pal, I appreciate your posts too. Its difficult at times to remain positive amid the tidal wave of negativity on this forum but its up to us realists to keep things afloat whilst others are flapping.

I expect ralph and Les have these words written on their computer screens..

If you can keep your head when all men doubt you......

Not everyone doubts you chaps.

Thanks pal, I appreciate your posts too. Its difficult at times to remain positive amid the tidal wave of negativity on this forum but its up to us realists to keep things afloat whilst others are flapping.

10xxz6o.jpg

A huge thank you to you Patrick for a class post. It's heartening to find the true Saints posters raising their heads and being seen above the mountain of debris and waste posted by those hell bent to bringing the club, the board's reputation into disrepute. At this time when all the media are feasting on what gets posts on here, it's refreshing that there are those brave enough to be heard and keep the faith in the club, the board and Markus Liebherr's dream.

Many thanks mate. We've come a long way together, not always agreeing, but clear on the fact that we love Southampton Football Club; that we aren't afraid to fight for what we believe and listen, understand and reason for what SFC stands for.

Who can forget Dave and the Uni server . Those were the days . We could discuss saints rationally

I know I let myself down at times on posting on here, trying to fight for the positive values of Saints FC instead of the daily barrage if negativity and crap that gets posted whether it is the signing of a new player , the club directors , etc

I respect most poster views even those that have different views than me . It's the toxic and corrosive views that I react to the most . I don't know if they are trolls , skates or Wums ,

But I will not change and I will be forever a genuine saints supporter come win , rain or sunshine for better for worse .

You know what you get with Saints . You take the rough with the smooth

Art - you are a massive prcik.

I've never noticed before, but the level of embellishment you put on those syrupy posts of yours makes me want to smash a pane of glass. Top work .., if you want to come across as the end of a bell. Are you retarded by any chance? No worries if you are.

talking Saints

David Pleat

no way will they be able to reproduce last season with the players they have gone. Its starting from scratch

McGarry (journo)

Farcical what is going on. You dont sell that many players without having quality in already or quickly in. Now look, they are struggling to make signings and the season starts next weekend. madness

Steve Claridge

Lots of answers needed about the club and the direction. The sales when you let so many go will be difficult to stop

Ralphy

we tried to keep MP

we tried to keep the players

expect the unexpected

MP wanted to move for a better chance of CL football

we have an exciting manager

we were in control of the sales

everyone is excited about the new season

when you talk about players out, you have to talk about players in

Koeman wants to continue the football philosophy

Koeman has chance to mould his own team and here long term

Sorry if we couldnt be more open about it all at the time

lots of funds for fees, wages etc for the team and this should be exciting

transfer market in football is very dynamic and interesting

you have to sustain success and we will do that

the passion of the sport is wonderful and more so in southampton

(clip of a cortese interview from a while ago, talking about how the club want to challenge the top sides. saying we didnt have the resources but we had a different angle in the youth system with great players. we created talents that half the world seems to be after. we wanted to keep most of them)

agrees with NC on youth. the structure is incredible and we will continue to believe in our youth system and get many into the team

shaw would not have got the games he did at a higher club. shows the opportunities are there

will use the money to have a deeper squad that last year

there is no guarantee that the youth players will all be good enough

more names will be made from the young players that remain

koeman was aware that sales would be made when offers came in

ronald was involved in every part of the sales and signings

did not expect so many players would be chased like they were

We look at our squad and morgan is the centre piece he is not for sale

understand player emotions and they will communicate that

Morgan will be there and is not far sale

Jay is another part of the team that we want to build and his rehab continues

wont say if offers came in for morgan and jay and neither are for sale

with this new business plan, wont give targets but we will be competitive

want to build the club step by step to european football and the foundations were not there when we came in

£92m is a little too high, was not quite that much but it was a very strong sum

had to make payments for money owed for players

been given green light from owner to invest large parts into fees and wages

was hired to bring in a culture to be as well run as possible

we dont expect trust over night and understand the emotions from the fans

we ask for time from fans and understand we have to earn fans respect

club is not for sale otherwise would not have turned down very lucrative hockey jobs in the NFL

Katherina insists the club is not for sale and wants to grow the club in the interests of the investment of her father

there we are

Thanks for the summary Bruce. Much obliged

Just read this, love the end where he recalls of letters from supporters calling him 'an idiot' haha, brilliant.

“I see unbelievable passion for the club. These people took time to write me a letter to say that I’m a complete idiot!"

Edited by Saint IQ