Alasn Pardew on Saints

spyinthesky

In the process of doing some research on another matter i came across this piece attributed to Alan Pardew in April this year.

Apologies if it has been reported before but thought it was interesting

.................'Southampton had Walcott, Bale, Shaw, Lallana and it makes a huge difference.

I know we will get players through here but will we get an exceptional player?

Southampton has a different type of catchment area.

There is a big working class community but there are a lot of middle class kids who have a good education.

The players who come out of Southampton are quite intelligent and there might be something in that.

We need to put more intelligence into our players here.

it is very important to not just look after the football side of it but to also bring the right personalities through.

We want them to be level headed.'.........

Interesting insight and reinforces our clubs on going philosophy to develop and educate players both on and off the field.

He's right. I think this is an interesting area and set to grow in importance as clubs get more savvy about lashing out tens of millions on the next big player.

Technical skills deployed with intelligence are far more devastating than without. But it is not all about IQ - personality and character are equally important to effectiveness both in the immediate moment during games and also to sustaining form and careers.

The worlds top players have a blend of:

1)technical skill,

2)athleticism, 3)

high IQ and

4) the right personality traits.

MLT for example had 1,3,4 in abundance but perhaps less athletic by nature and slightly lazy, unambitious personality. This stopped him becoming a word-stage, world beater but allowed Saints to benefit for an entire career of his mesmeric technical genius.

Roy Keane had a fair amount of 1, a lot of 2 and 3 and, crucially, a ruthlessly psychopathic 4. Powerful mix that made him a leader and dynamo and successful at club level.

Maradona - had 1 massively, 2 a lot, and less of 3, and is a basket case re 4: hence his career trajectory.

The top clubs recognise these dimensions and do their homework for the most part not only on footballing skills but IQ and personality of players. Ferguson was good at this.

Luke Shaw - a bit dim by all accounts - this could limit his ceiling as a player ultimately.

Edited by adrian lord

He's right. I think this is an interesting area and set to grow in importance as clubs get more savvy about lashing out tens of millions on the next big player.

Technical skills deployed with intelligence are far more devastating than without. But it is not all about IQ - personality and character are equally important to effectiveness both in the immediate moment during games and also to sustaining form and careers.

The worlds top players have a blend of:

1)technical skill,

2)athleticism, 3)

high IQ and

4) the right personality traits.

MLT for example had 1,3,4 in abundance but perhaps less athletic by nature and slightly lazy, unambitious personality. This stopped him becoming a word-stage, world beater but allowed Saints to benefit for an entire career of his mesmeric technical genius.

Roy Keane had a fair amount of 1, a lot of 2 and 3 and, crucially, a ruthlessly psychopathic 4. Powerful mix that made him a leader and dynamo and successful at club level.

Maradona - had 1 massively, 2 a lot, and less of 3, and is a basket case re 4: hence his career trajectory.

The top clubs recognise these dimensions and do their homework for the most part not only on footballing skills but IQ and personality of players. Ferguson was good at this.

Luke Shaw - a bit dim by all accounts - this could limit his ceiling as a player ultimately.

Thus again confirming Rooney is not among the worlds top players.

In the process of doing some research on another matter i came across this piece attributed to Alan Pardew in April this year.

Apologies if it has been reported before but thought it was interesting

.................'Southampton had Walcott, Bale, Shaw, Lallana and it makes a huge difference.

I know we will get players through here but will we get an exceptional player?

Southampton has a different type of catchment area.

There is a big working class community but there are a lot of middle class kids who have a good education.

The players who come out of Southampton are quite intelligent and there might be something in that.

We need to put more intelligence into our players here.

it is very important to not just look after the football side of it but to also bring the right personalities through.

We want them to be level headed.'.........

Interesting insight and reinforces our clubs on going philosophy to develop and educate players both on and off the field.

Ray it don't matter in the end. Thick as pig **** or well educated (lol) the only thing that matters is $$$$$ this and getting turned at England squad call ups.

Email me OK

Having had the pleasure of recently working with two interns who went to school with Calum Chambers, I am reliably informed he is thick as pig **** and Luke Shaw not much better.

I wouldn't put much stock in our players' education off the pitch.

Shaw maybe - but Calum chambers is far from thick - you can tell that from the quality of his answers and the way he handles himself in interviews.