Midfield_General Posted 8 June, 2024 Posted 8 June, 2024 (edited) 6 hours ago, USaintA said: Sorry to bump this, but I was trying to remember some of the songs Solent used to play after the games. Did they have a song for when Saints won, and another for when they lost? I remember Bruce Hornsby and the Range - The Way It Is. I also remember the intro to Maneater by Hall and Oates seemed to play all the time too. They used to play Papa Was A Rolling Stone as the ‘hold’ music while the last few minutes of the games played out, then drop The Way It Is once all the games had finished and the final scores were ready to announce for Saints, Pompey and Bournemouth. I can hear those opening piano notes now as Grant Coleman says that Saints were held to a 2-2 draw by Everton at The Dell… Edited 8 June, 2024 by Midfield_General 1
Ted Bates Statue Posted 8 June, 2024 Posted 8 June, 2024 (edited) 56 minutes ago, OldNick said: Ben listening to Solent this week and the Tom Deacon recap of the game and also the after match action that Solent have on BBC sounds I have been thinking about recording matches off Radio Solent (or at least the online broadcast) for a while, to listen to them as podcasts when there's nothing better on the radio. Wish I managed to do it for the playoff matches. Sky broadcast doesn't quite capture the excitement for me when watching the footage back. Take for example the footage of AA's goal at Wembley when they're blathering on about the Gray family for most of the minute's build-up as we moved the ball up the pitch. I trust Blackmore and Tessem didn't make the same mistake. I might try and give it a go next season, although I highly doubt they'll be anywhere as exciting as some of the matches this season. Edited 8 June, 2024 by Ted Bates Statue 1
Bad Wolf Posted 8 June, 2024 Posted 8 June, 2024 There was one they used to play around 2010 onwards and it would be played over an audio montage of goal clips. There was a Lambert penalty in there I know that. Can't think of the song though but it was quite a well known one.
mikejenkins Posted 9 June, 2024 Posted 9 June, 2024 Pretty sure I remember Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush used when all the games had finished.
Dr Who? Posted 3 hours ago Posted 3 hours ago On 15/11/2014 at 16:44, mynameisthehulk said: yes Yes YESS! Diddlededumdaaaa, There's been a goal at The Dell, over to John Barratt! Yep this is how I remember it mid to late 80s in my room the Beatles playing on Solent on my hifi stack system and it cuts in at any moment. It was Oct 4th 1986 that I remember the most because I recorded it. (I just looked up the date as I knew it was Newcastle and hammered them and Mark Dennis scored a screamer. My memory was it was always ‘There has been a goal at The Dell, over to John Barratt” and on this occasion it was happy new it was the 84th minute and we were 3-1 up, so of course presumed it would be 3-2, but bedlam preceded in in my room when the words came out of the radio. “Mark Dennis picked the ball up, he ran towards the edge of the area he shot and in it sailed, Southampton 4 Newcastle 1. I had the tape of this for many years and used to play it, amazing how much a short clip on the radio can cheer one up. Sorry late to this thread, but was looking up John Barratt and this thread came up. I still say to this day when on a car journey going to away games with my son and Mark Chapman says there have been a goal at… I say over to John Barratt. My son of course has no idea what his fool of a dad is going on about. I was looking to see if Mr Barratt was still alive but I am presuming not?
Badger Posted 2 hours ago Posted 2 hours ago Not Radio Solent, but another name and voice I always associate with coverage of Saints was David Bobin. This is late 1970’s from Southern ITV. Can still hear it now.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now