Brand v Farage

sadoldgit

I agree about the Great British Public Pap. We are very good at moaning about things but not very good at getting things changed. The Poll Tax would be one of the few exceptions when people got motivated enough to stand up and be counted. It takes time for public opinion to make changes so we need people inside the system to do something about it. If the parties see it as a major election issue and put change at the top of their agenda that would be a start - but we know that none of them want to grasp the nettle because they are too afraid that financial institutions will leave The City and go abroad.

Considering most parties rely heavily on donations from wealthy benefactors, there is always going to be little political will to really make these changes. They aren't going to bite the hand that feed them.

This is where I agree with RB most, to be honest, and it is one of my biggest grievances with UKIP/Farage (which I believe I have stated here before). UKIP are mostly backed by former Tory donors (lol they are so anti-establishment with their former Tory activist/City boy leader, and former Tory MPs etc.), and have relatively well off people standing telling poor people that other poor people are the reason they are poor. It's nothing to do with all the rich kids not paying there way. Definitely not. No slight of hand, look over there going on whatsoever.

"I think bad things are bad and good things are good"

You've hit the nail on the head , this is the standard of political debate nowadays. Motherhood and apple pie politics. I don't know who said it, but someone once said that if you can't argue the opposite side, then its a meaningless political statement , not a solution or idea. Because of my shift patterns I watch " Daily politics" quite a lot and 80% of statements made by politicians are statements that everyone can agree with. Not because they're right, but because they are meaningless slogans. " We want a decent education for all our kids" , whose going to say we don't. Listen to anyone talking about the NHS and then try and take a contrary position, you'll find you can't. " We want more nurses" , as if anybody is going to argue " no we want less" . There maybe a fake argument around the ways of conning us out of more money to pay for their pet schemes , but overall there are no longer any fundamental ideological differences between the established parties.

Brand typifies the new political debate in this country. Anybody can point and describe what's wrong, anybody can throw slogans around to get cheers from their side of the argument. Ordinary Joes in the pub can tell you what's wrong, people on political shows should give you their considered and thought out solutions.

Have to say I've thought this for a while and have stopped watching. It's turned into a circus. As long as you say the bleedin' obvious the seals will clap and cheer and you'll win the show.

"I think bad things are bad and good things are good"

*crowd goes wild with salivating glee*

It reminds me of that simpsons episode with kang and kodos. "abortions for some, miniature American flags for others"