Brentford chairman says club aims to emulate Saints

Saint-Armstrong

According to Mark Warburton they want to rely on stats, because the Brentford Chairman owns a football statistics company. Whilst there is something to be said about stats in football, I'm pretty sure it'll never go the way of sabermetrics, Billy Beane and the Oakland A's.

Apart from anything else it seems ridiculous that a manager that could well deliver promotion has had his nose put so out of joint that he wants to leave come what may.

I have to say on a personal level I find stats incredibly boring thanks to their massive over-use in football. If you have 99% possession and don't score, the other team score with their 1%, what's the point? As for heat maps... Jesus wept.

According to Mark Warburton they want to rely on stats, because the Brentford Chairman owns a football statistics company. Whilst there is something to be said about stats in football, I'm pretty sure it'll never go the way of sabermetrics, Billy Beane and the Oakland A's.

Apart from anything else it seems ridiculous that a manager that could well deliver promotion has had his nose put so out of joint that he wants to leave come what may.

I have to say on a personal level I find stats incredibly boring thanks to their massive over-use in football. If you have 99% possession and don't score, the other team score with their 1%, what's the point? As for heat maps... Jesus wept.

Figuring out how to use statistics effectively in baseball was easy compared to football. People are still trying to figure out how to do that. (Or, perhaps, more accurately, if anyone has figured out something significant they are keeping their mouths shut--as Oakland A's fans wished Billy Beane had.) But it would be foolish to assume that it will never happen.

Well remembered - I remember that show now you mention it. Les has definitely softened his stance on loans now though!

I remember that now too. Didn't we literally send Stephens to Swindon a couple of days after that show aired?!

I think loans for some of the older lads are still a good idea. I've always thought Gazza & Rowe could probably do with some 1st team action somewhere out on loan for some experience.