An article that will divide opinion

doddisalegend

'Southampton are faced with the prospect off beginning the new season with a manager who is foreign to the English game'

Didn't he play for Liverpool and was also assistant to Rafa at Liverpool?

I'd say he's less foreign to the English game than the child who wrote this.

exactly.

woe is us. 4 straight Top 8 finishes. I am trying to figure out what exactly Southampton is doing wrong.

This time last year Saints were about 600/1 for relegation. This year its 15/1 to 28/1. It seems that the Bookies know more about this present squad than you complacent lot do.

Just buy someone, anyone - that phrase sums it up for me. Summer used to be about going on holiday and watching/playing cricket and the only thing you did football wise was pop out your league ladders and copy out the fixture list from the paper. Now it's all about friendlies in Asia and summer signings, people are demanding excitement all year round. They want prestige games against West Brom in HK, despite the fact it might not be good pre season preparation and they need signings, anyone. They don't care if a player is good enough or wanted they just want a signing. Of course if the preseason game is **** or the signing is classed as average, the high is short lived and 'we're doomed' cries get louder. More, more, more, me, me, me.

I don't think people *are* demanding all year round excitement. I think most fans need, and actually look forward to, that between seasons gap. Like the players it's that chance to mentally refresh and start all over ago in August. It's the media, who rely on maintaining viewers/readers/visitors numbers to maximise their advertising revenue that are imposing this made-up "excitement" on us.

This time last year Saints were about 600/1 for relegation. This year its 15/1 to 28/1. It seems that the Bookies know more about this present squad than you complacent lot do.

60/1 possibly but 600/1? Not a chance

The premise of the article is Saints should be a champions league club- whereas that's well above our expectations. Remember the most popular chant in Koeman's first season as 'the saints are staying up'. We were many pundits favourite for relegation. Our last few seasons have been fantastic for league position with the only downer the entertainment value at St Marys last year was dire.