RIP Nobby Stiles

Whitey Grandad

10 hours ago, Hamilton Saint said:

I was 13 yrs old when Saints were promoted to the First Division and England won the World Cup. What a year! R.I.P. Nobby Stiles.

Nobby Stiles to sell 1966 World Cup winner's medal | Manchester United |  The Guardian

I was a year younger and the 1965/66 season was the first season that I really became interested in football and started following the Saints. Not a bad way to start with a promotion and a World Cup win! There were so many legendary players around in that era. I know it’s a bit of a cliche and that things were always better “back in the day” but we don’t seem to have many characters like Nobby in the game now. Not many of the 66 team left now. If we won the WC now all the players would receive a knighthood. It’s a great shame that so few of this iconic team received the award. Nobby even had to sell his medals to provide some stability for his family. Thankfully his club bought them and they reside in the Manchester United Museum, but that should not have to happen. RIP

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 20:28, sadoldgit said:

A true legend. Anyone who saw his famous jig on the Wembley turf, false teeth in one hand, Jules Rimet trophy in the other, will never forget that moment. Marked Eusebio out of the Portugal game too which was no mean feat. RIP

I did see the jig as I was there and remember it as if yesterday.Magnificent.

• Like 1