Third best team on South Coast

Andrew Watson

Who would have thought in 2016,that a mere 8 years later we would find ourselves in this position. This has been put into perspective by the possible loan of David Brooks,being overtaken by Brighton is okay,but little Bournemouth [  Who it grates me to say have a much better squad,and survive with 11,000 gates and a rich yank]. How did it ever come to this ?

2 minutes ago, Andrew Watson said:

Who would have thought in 2016,that a mere 8 years later we would find ourselves in this position. This has been put into perspective by the possible loan of David Brooks,being overtaken by Brighton is okay,but little Bournemouth [  Who it grates me to say have a much better squad,and survive with 11,000 gates and a rich yank]. How did it ever come to this ?

image.png.c0cf2e2847752582ea3f93552ac05f45.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Things can change very quickly in football, particularly for clubs like us when you dont get some important decisions right. Brighton (under Potter) were close to going down 19/20 season and finished below us as recently as 20/21. Bournemouth did go down that 19/20 season and took two seasons to bounce back but are in a much better place now. Both clubs have recruited well managerially and player wise in the last 3 years, whereas our recruitment has suffered (its depressing when you look at the likes of AMN, Lyanco, DCC etc who we brought in), hence our relegation.

The thing with clubs like us though, the good times dont last forever, particularly when managers and players eventually get snapped up by bigger clubs. De Zerbi will very likely be gone from Brighton very soon. Iraola if he continues to have success at Bournemouth will have offers for far bigger challenges. Both could be a Pellegrino appointment away from a struggling season and it also only takes 1 or 2 below par transfer windows and you're in the shit.

However, one thing which has disappointed me in the last few years is how both clubs have easily surpassed us in the recruitment/scouting stakes. You just need to look at the worldwide scouting network which Brighton are operating, unearthing the likes of Caicedo, Cucarella, Mitoma, Enciso, Estupinan, Adingra, Buonanotte etc. There have been changes to our scouting approach under SR and we identified/signed the likes of Alcaraz so perhaps we'll see some improvement on that front.

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'm sure us, Pompey, Bournemouth and Brighton will all interchange countless times in the next 50 years.

We haven’t interchanged with Pompey many times over the last 50 years, I can only remember them being above us a handful Of occasions 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We haven’t interchanged with Pompey many times over the last 50 years, I can only remember them being above us a handful Of occasions 

I just meant the good times will come back. Then they'll leave again. Then back again. Things can change quickly is all I meant.