World's tallest building nears completion

Master Bates

tour.jpg

Stratosphere Tower & rides in Las Vegas apparently. No thanks.

Been on that rollercoaster and also the ride on the spire. F***ed if I would go on it again....

As for the Burj Dubai you can see the spire from 60 miles away apparently.

In comparison to other buildings -

BurjDubaiHeight.png

This will pail into insignificance once they start on the Murjan Tower in Bahrain - due to be 200 floors and 1022m high!

Edited by mdearlove

Does anyone else think this might be inviting have-a-go merchants in aircraft..? That's a big hole.

shanghai-world-financial-center-one-of-the-tallest-buildings-on-earth.png

It's the Shanghai World Finance Centre. Currently 3rd tallest building.

the hole was meant to be a circle but the Engineers couldnt get it to "work", also that hole stops the building falling down in high winds.

FACT

the hole was meant to be a circle but the Engineers couldnt get it to "work", also that hole stops the building falling down in high winds.

FACT

I've just read that the Chinese objected to the circular hole because it was too much like the Japanese Rising Sun. So the hole became a trapezoid. Can't find out how big it is though, so I can't select an aircraft to try my luck with. ;)

Edited by St Landrew

haut-tour.jpg

We stayed in the Stratosphere and had dinner one night in the revolving restaurant just under that thing. Fantastic meal (best service I have ever had), and I had promised myself a go on one of the rides after. Two bottles of chardonnay later, I was up there and nearly threw up just watching it. I have promised myself a return trip and WILL do it.

Vegas, amazing town, Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam not a bad day out either.