Rugby League

Hatch

Do any of you guys follow Aussie NRL? It's a massive deal here - I think I watched UK a final onve in 2003, otherwise I've no exposure (Eddie Waring excepted) to this sport. Any yips on hoe to successfully b ul sine your way though this sport?

Do any of you guys follow Aussie NRL? It's a massive deal here - I think I watched UK a final onve in 2003, otherwise I've no exposure (Eddie Waring excepted) to this sport. Any yips on hoe to successfully b ul sine your way though this sport?

Don't think the NRL is covered here any more. Was on Sky and then poached by Setanta before they went bust. May be on ESPN but I don't have that so not sure.

Used to follow it a bit when it was shown on Sky. Followed the (then) two Queensland teams, the Broncos and the Cowboys because my sister used to live in Kirwan, near Townsville, where the Dairy Farmers stadium is. Now she lives in Carindale in the suburbs of Brisbane.

Also follow Queensland in the State of Origin games (for the same reason).

Ditto, it's not easy to follow here. However, the rules are so much easier than RU there isn't much to know really expect a try = 4 points, goal/penalty = 2, a drop goal = 1 !

Oh, and it is 13 a side not 15!

Is it wrong to laugh at Leeds?

Thought they played well in the first half and Burrow's definitely scored that try. Alibert (or Halibut as we call him) is a complete ***t. Wigan ran away with it in the second, when Leeds' injuries caught up with them. The kiddie Tom Bush looked a good player though!

Thought they played well in the first half and Burrow's definitely scored that try. Alibert (or Halibut as we call him) is a complete ***t. Wigan ran away with it in the second, when Leeds' injuries caught up with them. The kiddie Tom Bush looked a good player though!

Yes, another win for Wigan :) Hull surprised me by losing at Salford, would not have predicted that with Salford only 1 win before last night.

Yes, another win for Wigan :) Hull surprised me by losing at Salford, would not have predicted that with Salford only 1 win before last night.

Seen the Hull 'highlights' looks like Lyne was out of his depth and Broughton, who was at Hull last season and played well, was much stronger on that wing.

Was listening to the Leeds/Hull game on the radio and with the team they had out was expecting Hull to get a right drubbing but 46-30 and scoring 6 tries isn't too bad tbh. Next week is the return fixture in the Challenge cup (got my ticket) and hopefully with Fitzgibbon, Horne, Tickle and maybe even Longy back it should be a much closer game.

Apparently Berrighan has a suspected broken collar bone, so maybe not as close as I had hoped. :(

Edited by krissyboy31

Was listening to the Leeds/Hull game on the radio and with the team they had out was expecting Hull to get a right drubbing but 46-30 and scoring 6 tries isn't too bad tbh. Next week is the return fixture in the Challenge cup (got my ticket) and hopefully with Fitzgibbon, Horne, Tickle and maybe even Longy back it should be a much closer game.

Oh yes, I'm assuming BBC will show that, will be a cracking game.

Steve McNamara confirmed as the new England Coach with Australian Brian Smith (Tony's brother) as his mentor/assistant. Special Boots 'n' All on at the moment with SM as the main guest. Talks the talk and has really focussed ideas of where he wants to take England RL by 2013 world cup and beyond.

>>"The Southampton Spitfires Rugby League Football Club was founded in the summer of 2007 by Yorkshireman Glenn Tyreman and a group of Rugby League enthusiasts based in Glenn's adopted home of Southampton. Glenn is a vastly experienced Rugby League coach and is part of the England Lionhearts and South of England amateur coaching team, as well as undertaking occasional work with Super League outfit Harlequins R.L."

Apparently Glenn is an HKR (Booo!) fan and works/worked for the Southampton office of HKR's previous sponsor Parasol, hence the tie up with HKR on the website.

They made the divisional final last year losing out to Greenwich, who have supplied several young players for Harlequins in the recent past.

More about the Spitfires!

http://www.southampton-spitfires.co.uk/Scrapbook/2009/2009_Press.pdf

Edited by krissyboy31

>>"The Southampton Spitfires Rugby League Football Club was founded in the summer of 2007 by Yorkshireman Glenn Tyreman and a group of Rugby League enthusiasts based in Glenn's adopted home of Southampton. Glenn is a vastly experienced Rugby League coach and is part of the England Lionhearts and South of England amateur coaching team, as well as undertaking occasional work with Super League outfit Harlequins R.L."

Apparently Glenn is an HKR (Booo!) fan and works/worked for the Southampton office of HKR's previous sponsor Parasol, hence the tie up with HKR on the website.

They made the divisional final last year losing out to Greenwich, who have supplied several young players for Harlequins in the recent past.

More about the Spitfires!

http://www.southampton-spitfires.co.uk/Scrapbook/2009/2009_Press.pdf

LOL HKR, obviously a man of good taste !

Hull have signed Paul McShane on loan from Leeds as cover for Berrigan. Good player from what I have seen of him:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12196_6107419,00.html

Also no surprise Wigan have recalled Shaun Ainscough :

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12196_6107290,00.html

Thought you meant the Hull City player of the same name at first. Knew we were desperate but surely not that desperate.

Saw Ainscough play for Cas at the KC earlier in the season. He was class TBH!

Thought you meant the Hull City player of the same name at first. Knew we were desperate but surely not that desperate.

Saw Ainscough play for Cas at the KC earlier in the season. He was class TBH!

Yes, I'm amazed Wigan let him go on loan in the 1st place but they have Goulding, Roberts, Leulai, Hansen amongst those who are injured. Luckily for once they have a very good squad.

Posted by Kingsbridge Saint on the P*mpey Takeover Thread.

Massive breaking news out here in Australia that is relevant to Pompey's cheating. Melbourne Storm found guilty of breaching the NRL salary cap by £1M over 5 years. Compare that to Pompeys £120M deficit. The Storms punishment? Stripped of 2 Premierships, lost all points won this season and any points won for the rest of the season and a huge fine. Pompey should be stripped of their FA Cup, excluded from the final and relegated to League 1 as a minimum based on that.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12196_6108354,00.html

I wonder if they'll now get stripped of the World Club Challenge because technically they weren't qualified to participate?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/8636565.stm

Melbourne have also been ordered to repay the £50,000 prize money for winning the World Club Challenge, funds which could be diverted to beaten finalists Leeds.

Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington said the matter was for governing body, the Rugby Football League (RFL), to take up.

But he said Leeds had no desire to claim the world title following Melbourne's sanctions

Oh Dear Wigan! 24 - 6 up at HT, lost 26 - 38 at home to bottom club Quins.

Not that surprised, they were awful last week at Sheffield, their excellent defensive record has gone to pot. Still might as well have a bad run now. I'm sure Maguire will have plenty to say !

Just by chance I have found that we do have coverage of NRL in this country on Sky Channel 433 "MSK". On live at the moment (Fox Sports coverage) is Melbourne Storm v NZ Warriors. Melbourne are stuffing them at HT 22-0, even though, in effect, they have nothing to play for.

Sat in my Edinburgh hotel room, just getting ready to get the bus up towards Murrayfield for the games. Cant wait!!! Don't hold up much hope of a Hull win though, with only half a team against 'Quins who despite for most of the season so far, being whipping boys, last week turned over Wigan.

Sat in my Edinburgh hotel room, just getting ready to get the bus up towards Murrayfield for the games. Cant wait!!! Don't hold up much hope of a Hull win though, with only half a team against 'Quins who despite for most of the season so far, being whipping boys, last week turned over Wigan.

Well your pessimism was certainly justified, 25-8 to Quins, Wigan back to winning wins with a good 28-10 win over Huddersfield ( nice to see Karl Pryce back and scoring a try), Saints hammered Hull KR 54-0 which might be some consolation and wins too for Castleford, Bradford, Warrington and Lucky Leeds !

Well your pessimism was certainly justified, 25-8 to Quins, Wigan back to winning wins with a good 28-10 win over Huddersfield ( nice to see Karl Pryce back and scoring a try), Saints hammered Hull KR 54-0 which might be some consolation and wins too for Castleford, Bradford, Warrington and Lucky Leeds !

Yes, Quins certainly played better than a bottom placed side whereas Hull in the first half were desperate! They have most of their players back now. Hull's are going down like nine-pins! The best game of the weekend was the Wakey, Leeds match. We left early due to hypothermia, with Wakey leading. Unfortunately they couldn't hold on! Highlight was seeing Saints destroy Rovers, who were lucky to get NIL!!

BTW Bradford didn't win, they got 'nilled' by Crusaders in the first match.

Yes, Quins certainly played better than a bottom placed side whereas Hull in the first half were desperate! They have most of their players back now. Hull's are going down like nine-pins! The best game of the weekend was the Wakey, Leeds match. We left early due to hypothermia, with Wakey leading. Unfortunately they couldn't hold on! Highlight was seeing Saints destroy Rovers, who were lucky to get NIL!!

BTW Bradford didn't win, they got 'nilled' by Crusaders in the first match.

Apologies so they did, 19-0. Well done Crusaders !

Tasty line up forming for the Challenge Cup Q/F's. Already through Wigan, Leeds, Warrington and Bradford though there will be 2 non SL teams in the draw with the games today :

Quins v St Helens : Have to fancy Saints though Quins are playing well, disappointed this is not live on BBC.

Crusaders v Catalan- This is the live game, Crusaders playing well might nick this but can't get over enthused about it TBH

Halifax v Batley Halifax clear favourites.

Barrow v Hunslet Have to fancy Barrow though Hunslet are in very good form but a division below.

Watch out for Crusaders new scrum-half Jarrod Sammut. Was different class at Murrayfield and he only arrived in the country last Thursday.

Good shout already !

Though Crusaders now playing/defending dreadfully, 6-24.

Edited by chrisobee
Update