Rugby League

Hatch

Easy in the end for Wigan. Been the best team all season and with Pat Richards and Sam Tomkins have had the best 2 players.

Yep, in relative terms it was pretty easy. No doubt Wigan were the best team over the season and finally after 12 years won another Grand Final. Richards and Tomkins have been great but for me strength in depth was the key factor along with Maguire managing to rejuventate players like Fielden and Gleeson. Good to see Fielden back in the England squad though how McNamara can leave out Gleeson is somewhat of a mystery, for me he was player of the match in the Grand Final.

Wigan will win it. Wigan, Saints final I reckon with Huddersfield and Hull missing out. Leeds will have to improve massively and with their injuries, can't see them doing it.

Agreed, I think Wigan have underachieved in the regular season the last few years and though they have played well in the play offs I'd be really surprised if any team could win the Grand Final without at least being in the top 3.

Wigan really do seem to have a lot of strength in deep, even being able to allow Sean Ainscough and Chris Tuson to go out on loan. Can't feel sorry for Leeds, I really don't like them !

Good calls :D

• 3 weeks later...

England Team for the 4 nations match v New Zealand, which unusually is live on the Beeb tomorrow (8am): Widdop (Melbourne); Goulding (Wigan), Shenton (Castleford), Atkins (Warrington), Briscoe (Hull); Brown (Huddersfield), Sam Tomkins (Wigan); Fielden (Wigan), Roby (St Helens), Graham (St Helens, capt), Ellis (Wests Tigers), Burgess (South Sydney), O'Loughlin (Wigan).

Subs: Robinson (Huddersfield), Griffin (Huddersfield), W******d (Warrington), Joel Tomkins (Wigan).

Will miss Pea****, Wellens, Pryce and Morley but still a decent team. Thought Widdop might have been dropped after the Maori game with Sam Tomkins dropping to Full Back.

England Team for the 4 nations match v New Zealand, which unusually is live on the Beeb tomorrow (8am): Widdop (Melbourne); Goulding (Wigan), Shenton (Castleford), Atkins (Warrington), Briscoe (Hull); Brown (Huddersfield), Sam Tomkins (Wigan); Fielden (Wigan), Roby (St Helens), Graham (St Helens, capt), Ellis (Wests Tigers), Burgess (South Sydney), O'Loughlin (Wigan).

Subs: Robinson (Huddersfield), Griffin (Huddersfield), W******d (Warrington), Joel Tomkins (Wigan).

Will miss Pea****, Wellens, Pryce and Morley but still a decent team. Thought Widdop might have been dropped after the Maori game with Sam Tomkins dropping to Full Back.

Can't see us winning to be honest and neither can the bookies who make NZ 2/9 to win. Don't know a lot about Widdop, a very surprising selection for me. Would definitely have taken Martin Glesson especially with Keith Senior out of contention. T'is actually live on BBC1 though from 7.30am, kick off 8.00am so I aim to stay awake to watch it and hope I'm wrong and we win :D Sam Tomkins might well be a bigger threat at scrum half which it seems is where he will play, shame Leuluai is at hooker in a way though I reckon he's better at scrum half anyway. Heart says England by 2-4 points, head says NZ 18-10.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

In an alternative Administration to the slippery cheats down the road, the Bradford Bulls (one of the biggest names in Rugby League) have made 16 redundancies today, including their Chief Exec and complete coaching staff, including head coach Mick Potter. They really look like going to the wall with a tax bill of £300k (peanuts in P*mpey terms).

• 2 years later...

Official Launch of the New Super Leaue season tonight.

Newcastle United FC ‏@NUFC 32m32 minutes ago

.@SuperLeague's #MagicWeekend comes to St. James' Park in May. @TheRFL's new season video has been released tonight:

Lee Westwood ‏@WestwoodLee 1h1 hour ago

Not long now!

can't wait.

Johnny Vegas ‏@JohnnyVegasReal 2h2 hours ago

New @SuperLeague season just around the corner

… goosebumps the size of baked potatoes #RLNewEra @TheRFL #COYS