This 'Pikey' obsession.

PES

Interesting thread.

"Pikey" has been bastardised in recent years largely through ignorance, although you can see how it has now come to be used as a general insult.

From my info (wife's gypsy lineage), it is still used by real gypysies (or Romani) to label those who have been disowned or thrown out by the 'family' council. This still happens to this day in the Romani communities.

Nowadays the term does appear to be an accepted (not acceptable IMO) term for any underclass and hence is commonly used as an insult. I suppose, taking into account it's real meaning, it has simply been stolen from the Gypsies (ironic).

I grew up in Gillingham, where, strangely, the term was never really seen as an insult and 'pikey army' would often be sung in the Rainham End just like we sing 'Red Army' at St Mary's.

So even my own personal views on the use of the word have changed.

I might also mention my brother who was born in Somers Road. Now he IS a Pikey Skate, but I love him all the same.

Interesting thread.

"Pikey" has been bastardised in recent years largely through ignorance, although you can see how it has now come to be used as a general insult.

From my info (wife's gypsy lineage), it is still used by real gypysies (or Romani) to label those who have been disowned or thrown out by the 'family' council. This still happens to this day in the Romani communities.

Nowadays the term does appear to be an accepted (not acceptable IMO) term for any underclass and hence is commonly used as an insult. I suppose, taking into account it's real meaning, it has simply been stolen from the Gypsies (ironic).

I grew up in Gillingham, where, strangely, the term was never really seen as an insult and 'pikey army' would often be sung in the Rainham End just like we sing 'Red Army' at St Mary's.

So even my own personal views on the use of the word have changed.

I might also mention my brother who was born in Somers Road. Now he IS a Pikey Skate, but I love him all the same.

Yeah I'd agree Hamster, I think you've probably hit the nail on the head. Yeah somerstown is an interesting area of Portsmouth, as a child I lived down Margate Rd, before my mum moved to North End (Incidentaly my mum and step father are both Life long Saints), Luckily I think I got out of Somerstown early enough to avoid any long term psychological damage. :D

I have the opportunity to say say that a needle has more points than Pompey...so there

And dont forget when we amass 2 points you can dig out the old chestnut. "What have Pompey and a ****tail stick got in common?", groan.

Ps. Sorry if I spoilt it for you...;)

And dont forget when we amass 2 points you can dig out the old chestnut. "What have Pompey and a ****tail stick got in common?", groan.

This ****ing swear filters a ****ing ****ing pile of plop. ****ing thing.

I must make a note of that because by December Id have forgotten that one......hey I ve got another one. HR is taking the team to pompey dockyard so they can see what a Victory looks like

I must make a note of that because by December Id have forgotten that one......hey I ve got another one. HR is taking the team to pompey dockyard so they can see what a Victory looks like

BOOM TISH! You made that one up yourself didn't you Nick. 10/10 for Originality. 2/10 for Humour. :D

You watch Come Dancing? I'd keep that quiet Nick. ;)
oops you found me out. I do know the British champions and was invited to the national finals at the BIC. I was very impressed and the women in the main were fit.

Anyway you avoided improving my marks and so Im going to have a hissy fit.

ps the Victory one was an old one.Therefore I have decided to mark the originality down to a 4 and the humour up to a 9

I think it's more about insularity than the historicvalidity of any particular label.

Like PES says "Pikey" may not be the correct term but it is used to convey the kind of comical self-importance of an insignificant little troup of people who think they are somehow divorced through an accident of birth (for let's face it Pompey have traditionally had a small catchment area - it's the insularity point again) from the norms of civilised society. In that sense it is a sensible analogy IMO with the common perception of gypos/travellers. The people of Portsmouth seem unusually proud of their particular brand of freakish alterity.

Pompey folk = a bit like the Welsh IMO.

Bolox........thats like saying Cosham not in Portmouth:D....no wonder i get lost in scumpty, Whole streets can just saddle up and move:smt116

Everything within the long-black-liney-thingy is 'in' Southampton...

sotonmap2vh6.jpg

...note location of the seperate towns of Romsey, Hedge End, Totton, Eastleigh, etc....

sotonmaphy6.jpg

...whereas cosham is clearly 'in' p*rtsmuff...

pikeyislele5.jpg

...don't thank me for the geography lesson.

I think it's more about insularity than the historicvalidity of any particular label.

Like PES says "Pikey" may not be the correct term but it is used to convey the kind of comical self-importance of an insignificant little troup of people who think they are somehow divorced through an accident of birth (for let's face it Pompey have traditionally had a small catchment area - it's the insularity point again) from the norms of civilised society. In that sense it is a sensible analogy IMO with the common perception of gypos/travellers. The people of Portsmouth seem unusually proud of their particular brand of freakish alterity.

Pompey folk = a bit like the Welsh IMO.

That would explain why despite early concern's we got on swimmingly with the cardiff fans at Wembley.

I do love the way that people are admiting that whilst Southampton is ACTUALLY more pikey, Portsmouth are pikeys because were 'like' pikeys!?! It would be better if the term was dropped altogether because A) Its factually completely incorrect and wrongly applied and B) Its a nasty term which is demeaning to a prominant section of Southampton society.

oops you found me out. I do know the British champions and was invited to the national finals at the BIC. I was very impressed and the women in the main were fit.

Anyway you avoided improving my marks and so Im going to have a hissy fit.

ps the Victory one was an old one.Therefore I have decided to mark the originality down to a 4 and the humour up to a 9

Okay Nick, 3/10 Orginality, 3/10 Humour, Happier? :D

Okay Nick, 3/10 Orginality, 3/10 Humour, Happier? :D
I have a few more for you.

Scientists have crossed number 5 (you can put any number here to save any confusion) and PFC and come up with 5.

A murder in Pompey and the Police cannot use the DNA as it is all the same in the area.There are of course no dental records either.

A Portsmouth couple are getting divorced and the lawyers are trying to work out if they still legally are brother and sister

Edited by OldNick

...It would be better if the term was dropped altogether because A) Its factually completely incorrect and wrongly applied and B) Its a nasty term...

Fair enough...as long as you drop the fatually incorrect 'scummer/pony bummers' obsession (can you actually explain them?) and while we're at it, how about that myth about some fictitious dock strike.

Anyway I think if we all called you 'Hillbillies' that would be far more appropriate...:smt023

Fair enough...as long as you drop the fatually incorrect 'scummer/pony bummers' obsession (can you actually explain them?) and while we're at it, how about that myth about some fictitious dock strike.

Anyway I think if we all called you 'Hillbillies' that would be far more appropriate...:smt023

1)I dont call you Pony ****gers etc.

2)You'll always be Scummers.

3)Don't know about the Dockyard strike, it probably is bull****.

4)Hillbillies is fine by me. Though i'm sure there are more imaginative/Hurtful names out there?

I have a few more for you.

Scientists have crossed number 5 (you can put any number here to save any confusion) and PFC and come up with 5.

Sorry I'm too fick to 'get' this one Nick?

A murder in Pompey and the Police cannot use the DNA as it is all the same in the area.There are of course no dental records either.

4/10

A Portsmouth couple are getting divorced and the lawyers are trying to work out if they still legally are brother and sister

3/10

Sorry Nick but good effort, keep trying. ;):D