Stephens and Turnbull

CWD

These two lads seem to be playing regularly down at Swindon, who are currently 3rd in L1. Anyone seen anything of them and have an insight into whether they'll make it with Saints?

A big strength seems to be their relationship with each other. Would love to see them come through and be our CB pairing for many years. I guess they need a couple more seasons in the game, CBs tend to need a bit more time to mature.

Anyone seen anything of them and have an insight into whether they'll make it with Saints?

We'll find out this summer with Yoshida out of contract and Alderweireld only on loan. If we replace them in the transfer market (or sign Alderweireld permanently) then that would give an indication as to how close the club think they are to the level we need and / or whether they have a long-term future at the club.

I suspect they're going to have to go somewhere else to get the games they need to become top defenders. Saints have been quite weak in bringing through central defenders, though I suspect that's mainly because a lot of that position is based on experience and knowing exactly what to do in pressurised quick-reaction situations.

The confidence to recognise situations and do the right thing is also built over time, rather than just being something you "know" and few teams are going to plug a kid in at such a critical and punishing position to let them learn as they go. There's also an element of players with the skills needed for the position being better utilised elsewhere so we don't have as many left for CBs too, I guess.

Though apparently Arsenal are fine with it. :D

He plays RB as well doesn't he? Maybe he can be the back up to Clyne we need.

He has played RB but I think that was more to do with completing his development into a CB by improving his all-round game. See Matt Targett who played a number of games for the youth teams as a left sided CB.