Southampton most expensive city to rent

Jonnyboy

I certainly noticed this when I moved down here in October. The rental market is hugely inflated in that I find myself paying over £600 a month to rent a property that is probably only worth £125,000 or so. Landlords dream. Simple fact is Southampton is a good place to find employment and there aren't enough rental properties available.

I certainly noticed this when I moved down here in October. The rental market is hugely inflated in that I find myself paying over £600 a month to rent a property that is probably only worth £125,000 or so. Landlords dream. Simple fact is Southampton is a good place to find employment and there aren't enough rental properties available.

I pay more per month on a mortgage for a property worth a few K less. Damn recession.

It's the relevance to wages that matter. Rents and house prices are much higher here in Oxfordshire but then so are wages.

Read the article, we are less than 10% cheaper on the average rent cost than London.

It's a rip-off to rent in Southampton, once I have tied up the house with the ex, I am off to rent in Bournemouth, which is much more affordable in a cost to wages ratio.

Read the article, we are less than 10% cheaper on the average rent cost than London.

It's a rip-off to rent in Southampton, once I have tied up the house with the ex, I am off to rent in Bournemouth, which is much more affordable in a cost to wages ratio.

Yeah I'm saying that too. :rolleyes:

Someone said they were surprised because they thought Oxford would feature higher than Southampton. I'm saying that although rents and purchase prices are higher here, so are wages. Whereas Southampton's rents are high and the wages aren't. That's why Southampton is higher on the list.

OK?

What can you get for £8k a year?

£8,000 a year in rent is £666 a month. For that I would expect to get a decent flat near the sea.

Hope this helps sweetie. xx

What are you going to do for filling your fat face with food and beer and kitting yourself out with Ben Sherman if all your money goes on rent? ANyway, shouldn't you be moving to Portsmouth now you and the skate have been 'a couple' for more than a week? Dont want to risk being dumped again, get her tied down while you can.

What are you going to do for filling your fat face with food and beer and kitting yourself out with Ben Sherman if all your money goes on rent? ANyway, shouldn't you be moving to Portsmouth now you and the skate have been 'a couple' for more than a week? Dont want to risk being dumped again, get her tied down while you can.

Don't be silly Turkish, about as much chance of me moving to P*mpey as you pulling anyone at your gym. :smug:

It was a touch of sarcasm, but yes, you can get a decent 2 bed flat for between £600 and £700 if you look in the right places.

And Bournemouth is a MUCH nicer place than Southampton.

I'd always assumed it was fairly pricey, property wise. It would have to be a nice area of Bournemouth to meet my high standards, of course.

Could be tempting one day...