Don't Ask, Don't Tell

SuperMikey

What is the law in this country? Could you answer with reference to the Navy, specifically submariners, thanks.

This is a good point. Put yourself in Delldays position. How would he feel with a homosexual man swinging in the hammock above him?

Equality is a good thing, but making it a rule is a bad thing. The military is not like other jobs, and shouldn't be subjected to over PC rules.

Gay soldiers now are treated equally, but have to keep quiet about it, with this rule they will be able to say it without fear of the sack, but do they really want attention drawn to them because of their sexuality. By giving them equality, you are actually ensuring that they are treated differently.

Equality is a good thing, but making it a rule is a bad thing. The military is not like other jobs, and shouldn't be subjected to over PC rules.

Gay soldiers now are treated equally, but have to keep quiet about it, with this rule they will be able to say it without fear of the sack, but do they really want attention drawn to them because of their sexuality. By giving them equality, you are actually ensuring that they are treated differently.

Yeh, you're right. We should protect them from the homophobes out there. The way I see it, the gaybashers are doing a really bad thing, but how do we stop them doing that? We could put a law in place that allows them to be punished for homophobia, but that would probably upset a few people. I know! We should put a law in place for the gays instead. That'll solve the problem for everyone.

I served in the Army for 6 years, there was a gay lad in our squadron, everybody knew it. He was treated no differently. i.e. he had the **** out of him as much as the ginger, fat, foreign, bald, speccy, thick, religious lads.

In the army you get a lot of banter, if you can't handle it, don't join. It is an integral part of the camaraderie, the PC brigade would die of shock if they spent a day in an Army platoon.

By pointing out that somebody is different and that is fine, you are giving them unwanted attention.

I served in the Army for 6 years, there was a gay lad in our squadron, everybody knew it. He was treated no differently. i.e. he had the **** out of him as much as the ginger, fat, foreign, bald, speccy, thick, religious lads.

In the army you get a lot of banter, if you can't handle it, don't join. It is an integral part of the camaraderie, the PC brigade would die of shock if they spent a day in an Army platoon.

By pointing out that somebody is different and that is fine, you are giving them unwanted attention.

FFS dont bring your bigoted views on here, you have the cyber lynch mob after you ;)

It was you, wasn't it?

Banter is fine, its when you are driven to suicide or quitting that its out of order, passed up for promotions, ostracised etc etc dont help anyone

The British Army is so desperate to appear to be PC, you are more likely to be promoted if you are a minority of some sort. I served with a guy who was half Persian, they basically told him that if he changed his religion to Islam on his personal record and joined the recruiting team he would be promoted.

It was you, wasn't it?

I was the fat one.

Gentlemen I give you the sacred band of Thebes, the toughest sons of *****es in Ancient greek warfare made up of 150 couples of male lovers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Band_of_Thebes

I really don't see how being gay is going to make any difference to someones ability to pull a trigger or drive a tank? whats the big deal?

Edited by doddisalegend

Gentlemen I give you the sacred band of Thebes, the toughest sons of *****es in Ancient greek warfare made up of 150 couples of male lovers.

I really don't see how being gay is going to make any difference to someone ability to pull a trigger or drive a tank? whats the big deal?

its not big deal....dont know people go on about it..?

the only deal is if the team breaks down....the issue is nothing to do with an individual pulling the trigger..

its not about that..its combat effectiveness of the team...

I get that, but why should it affect combat effectiveness? I can see why it COULD, but it shouldn't. People should be professional, if they can't do their job effectively because someone they are working with so happens to be gay, they should be sacked.

I get that, but why should it affect combat effectiveness? I can see why it COULD, but it shouldn't. People should be professional, if they can't do their job effectively because someone they are working with so happens to be gay, they should be sacked.

you can see why it could..then you have your answer

I should hope though that the majority of people in the army should not care about it. If they can't cope because they have to work with a gay man, sack them. Don't you agree?

TDD won't agree with that because the thought of being on a sub with a gay bloke terrifies him. People have pre-conceptions about gay people that are completely wrong - just because someone is gay doesn't mean they're going to try and f*ck every bloke in their squadron. Putting a gay man in a submarine is no different to putting anyone else in there, so they shouldn't be discriminated against by not being allowed to be open about their sexual orientation.

I really don't see how being gay is going to make any difference to someones ability to pull a trigger or drive a tank? whats the big deal?

There were straight men in that army. They just had a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. However, the bullying was ridiculous when they got found out. They got called 'skirtlifters' and 'fanny bandits'.

TDD won't agree with that because the thought of being on a sub with a gay bloke terrifies him. People have pre-conceptions about gay people that are completely wrong - just because someone is gay doesn't mean they're going to try and f*ck every bloke in their squadron. Putting a gay man in a submarine is no different to putting anyone else in there, so they shouldn't be discriminated against by not being allowed to be open about their sexual orientation.

Dont be such a ****

What part of my posts above that it's no big deal have you missed..?

Come on TDD, you should know by now that at the mature age of 18, Superdoopermikey has an opinion on everything, has experienced everything and knows all there is too know. He is an authority on homosexuality in the armed forces because as a virgin with 0 days experience in the military he is well qualified to speak on this subject.

It's a good thing - no one should be told that they can do/be something - but they're not allowed to tell anyone about it. It was a ridiculous situation. I'm sure gay people in the Army aren't suddenly going to start bringing handbags to the front line, and insisting on bulletproof anal beads. This rule HAD to be changed to keep up with what Obama is doing in America, and I personally think he's doing a sterling job of un-doing their past.

It's a good thing - no one should be told that they can do/be something - but they're not allowed to tell anyone about it. It was a ridiculous situation. I'm sure gay people in the Army aren't suddenly going to start bringing handbags to the front line, and insisting on bulletproof anal beads. This rule HAD to be changed to keep up with what Obama is doing in America, and I personally think he's doing a sterling job of un-doing their past.

Not quite true, surely you would want people being told they cant be peados, rapists, murders, terrorists etc?

I don't really see anywhere where he has said that.