We're not the smallest team in the league

Nordic Saint

Does it include goalkeeper? Also, doesn't say how many or which players it includes. If you were to split players up into categories (may differ slightly depending on attacking & defending), I'd say our first XI (including players on fringes, feasibly starters) looks like:

Colossus: van Dijk

Strong: Yoshida

Capable: Austin, Romeu, Stephens, Long.

Ok: Bertrand, Davis, Hojbjerg, Gabbiadini.

Weak: Soares, Boufal, Tadic, Redmond, JWP, Clasie.

Perhaps defensively, Soares and Bertrand would be slightly better. Happy to be challenged on these ratings but don't think they're far off. I expect if you categorised most other teams they would either have a cluster of 'capable' players or more at the top end, bearing in mind that of top 6, only 4 are likely to be on the pitch together. How many other teams would have 7/11 (likely that 7 out of the 10 in the bottom two categories) players not particularly good in the air?

I know this is an arbitrary and subjective 'rating' but reckon it highlights a potential issue. Should we even be bothering with long corners when VVD isn't playing?

I always like to see a few players with a bit of height but it's not essential. two good away performances last season at Watford and WBA (two off the most physically imposing sides in the league) showed that keeping the ball on the deck and playing football can also work. both wins without VVD as well! but yeah, I will be happy with an imposing central defender signing.