Mark Wright On Radio Hampshire

Gemmel

Mark Dennis was talking about his fight with Lawrie and Wright was saying he didn't understand why the club were in such financial difficulties as it certainly wasn't down to player wages as when he was here and playing for England he was on £250 a week!!!!!!!!!!

When we bought him, we took Cassells to speed up the deal as Man Utd were also chasing him, which he knew nothing about at the time.

Not really surprising he left us if that's what he was on

seems hes not the only one liking stella if you think Wright was not a good player, in fact i reckon you could be in a minority of one

Too true. Wrighty was class. One of the best centre backs I've ever seen playing for Saints. Along with Killer in his prime, I'm struggling to think of anyone better in the last thirty years. Who else?

seems hes not the only one liking stella if you think Wright was not a good player, in fact i reckon you could be in a minority of one

Never said he was no good, he thought he was better than he was! I personally thought he was very good as played against him when he was playing for Oxford schoolboys, could tell then he was very good, but also he was a ****y sort! If he kept working at his game he could have been one of the best IMO!

How about that chap who also played for England his name is on the tip of my tongue

ah yes something Watson (?)

Just came to me Dave Watson

Big Dave was good, but past his very best when he came to us IMO.

I always thought Jimmy Steele was a legend too, but mainly because he looked so ****ing hard -- at least he did to a ten year old standing on a box in the Archers.

Big Dave was good, but past his very best when he came to us IMO.

I always thought Jimmy Steele was a legend too, but mainly because he looked so ****ing hard -- at least he did to a ten year old standing on a box in the Archers.

But wasn't Dave Watson massive as well (really broad)?????

Or was it the fact that when you're about 12????????

Too true. Wrighty was class. One of the best centre backs I've ever seen playing for Saints. Along with Killer in his prime, I'm struggling to think of anyone better in the last thirty years. Who else?

In terms of ability I'm inclined to agree with you that few if any others come close to them if measured over any length of time at Saints.

Dean Richards at his prime with us approached their standards.Ruddock might have,had he stayed at Saints and concentrated on his football rather than live up to his own idea of his image.

My all time favourite CB's though would be John McGrath and Jim Steele but in truth Mark Wright and Michael Svennson are a cut above.

Shame Wright was an arsehole off the pitch though.

Dave Watson passed his prime when he joined us but a class centre back

Yes I like Steele and Mcgrath too I dont think they would stay on the pitch for very long these days.

Mel Blyth played one of the best games I have seen from a CB in the 1976 Cup Final

Edited by John B