JK Rowling

saint_bert

well all the cabinets kids go to them, they wouldnt want theirs mixing with the rough kids.

Off the top of my head, I think it's only Ruth Kelly's child who sort of goes to a private school.

And that has been wrongly spun. Most children with complicated learning difficulties (like Ruth Kelly's child) get 'private' education geared towards those difficulties.

In fact those school places are paid for by local councils. In her case, she said she felt it was wrong for her local council to pay for her child's special needs when she could afford to pay for it herself.

Off the top of my head, I think it's only Ruth Kelly's child who sort of goes to a private school.

And that has been wrongly spun. Most children with complicated learning difficulties (like Ruth Kelly's child) get 'private' education geared towards those difficulties.

In fact those school places are paid for by local councils. In her case, she said she felt it was wrong for her local council to pay for her child's special needs when she could afford to pay for it herself.

and Harman and Straw and Blairs did when he was PM

Well there was a real furore qabout it and they were asked why they didnt go to state school

I think, IIRC, the Blairs were asked why their children didn't go to their LOCAL school as London Oratory is in Brompton (near Chelsea) and they lived in Islington.

Jack Straw's children went to state schools in Westminster.

Harriet Harman's children attended state selective schools.

No doubt some newspapers chose to report it all somewhat differently :D

I think, IIRC, the Blairs were asked why their children didn't go to their LOCAL school as London Oratory is in Brompton (near Chelsea) and they lived in Islington.

Jack Straw's children went to state schools in Westminster.

Harriet Harman's children attended state selective schools.

No doubt some newspapers chose to report it all somewhat differently :D

and what are selctive state schools?

so something that normally gets coached for the wealthier parents who pay for after school tuition.

That's just plain silly Nick and you know it!

My granddaughter has just started at a grammar school (because there is selective education in Buckinghamshire). My children all went to grammar school in Buckinghamshire.

We didn't have money to pay for after school tuition and my granddaughter didn't get any either.

That's just plain silly Nick and you know it!

My granddaughter has just started at a grammar school (because there is selective education in Buckinghamshire). My children all went to grammar school in Buckinghamshire.

We didn't have money to pay for after school tuition and my granddaughter didn't get any either.

Well, Robin Cook, in his autobiography, says that when him and Hattersley asked Blair why he had sent his children to a selective school, and after Hattrsely had said that he would have enough advantages as the Prime Ministers son to do well, Blair replied he didn't want his children to grown up like Harold Wilsons. When Cook said to him that one of Wilsons sons was a Headmaster and the other a Professor with the Open University, Blair is meant ot have replied "Well, i hope my sons do better than that"*

Sending your child to a selective school is elitist in itself, and you and your left wing leanings are slightly exposed and hold less credibilty now you have said you have sent yours to such places. I went to a comprehensive, a **** one at that, which has subsequently been cosed down, but managed to get through, wioth good grades and have a pretty successful career because of MY hard work and support from my parents. NOT because I was favoured over others....as a selective school will do. They also produce people who are brought up to believe that they are better than others. They may not be as bad as private schools, but the idea is much the same.

This is the last of my posts for tonight, so I shan't be able to respond to anything said now. All I know is that selective education is wrong.

*This is from Mark Steel's "What's going on" Aug 2008

Well, Robin Cook, in his autobiography, says that when him and Hattersley asked Blair why he had sent his children to a selective school, and after Hattrsely had said that he would have enough advantages as the Prime Ministers son to do well, Blair replied he didn't want his children to grown up like Harold Wilsons. When Cook said to him that one of Wilsons sons was a Headmaster and the other a Professor with the Open University, Blair is meant ot have replied "Well, i hope my sons do better than that"*

Sending your child to a selective school is elitist in itself, and you and your left wing leanings are slightly exposed and hold less credibilty now you have said you have sent yours to such places. I went to a comprehensive, a **** one at that, which has subsequently been cosed down, but managed to get through, wioth good grades and have a pretty successful career because of MY hard work and support from my parents. NOT because I was favoured over others....as a selective school will do. They also produce people who are brought up to believe that they are better than others. They may not be as bad as private schools, but the idea is much the same.

This is the last of my posts for tonight, so I shan't be able to respond to anything said now. All I know is that selective education is wrong.

*This is from Mark Steel's "What's going on" Aug 2008

What you have to understand is this. When the system in the county where your children are being educated is selective, you don't have the opportunity to send them to a comprehensive school because there aren't any in the county. This is how it is in Buckinghamshire. But I quite agree with you when you say that selective education is wrong.

In fact, I removed my youngest daughter from grammar school because I'd seen the pressure of such an education and the effects it had on my two other children. One suffered from petit mal and the other from anorexia. Both complaints are often brought on by pressure.

My youngest daughter transferred out of county to a comprehensive school at the age of 14 because the 'broiler' atmosphere at the grammar school was getting to her.

All three went on to get good university degrees - underpinning my belief that comprehensive schools are as good as grammar schools.

Edit: I should add that it actually cost me money to transfer my daughter out of county to a comprehensive school as she no longer got free transport.

Edited by bridge too far
Afterthought