Anyone in HR

tombletomble

I am wondering whether anyone can offer any advice.

Last year I applied for a new job in the organisation I currently work for. There was two positions and three aplicants. I was the one who missed out. Both of the other two allready worked in that department.

I have just found out that I scored 2nd highest in the interview by 10 points (the scores where 64, 62 and 52) but I didn't get the job as the didn't have the time to do the training that the other two had allready done as they already worked there.

I think this is discrimination against me. Does anyione think its worth following up.

Over the year, by not getting thjis promoting I lost out on over £10k

Was the 52 scorer an ethnic minority, showed preference to same sex intercourse or disabled in any way ? This may explain it. Employers are under pressure to keep the employee numbers up from these groups in society,and quite rightly too some might argue.

Try not to let it get to you. I'm sure that when you get the extra stars on your shirt then you will get a chance on the counter and will be able to say goodbye to the shake machine for ever.

It's not discrimination if they didnt have the time to train you, picking someone who is more skilled than someone else is just a business decision

I didn't really phrase my self very well. It was so much that they didn't have the time but more that they knew it would be easier to give it to someone who had a slightly better understand of the lab.

It was a trainee post though so who ever got it would have had to recieved a lot of training.

Why bother with interviews if you completely ignore the results?

I didn't really phrase my self very well. It was so much that they didn't have the time but more that they knew it would be easier to give it to someone who had a slightly better understand of the lab.

It was a trainee post though so who ever got it would have had to recieved a lot of training.

Why bother with interviews if you completely ignore the results?

To be "official".

Lots of places do it these days.

Unfortunately, to some companies, it's all a 'game which has to be played'. The unfortunate result with this 'game' is that people's hopes and aspirations are often crushed, never to be raised again. The downside, sometimes, is that someone who is maybe good (or even possibly better at the job) may be dispirited enough to further their career elsewhere. Leaving a hole which has to be filled and trained up!

because the test made up PART of the decision and not all of it?

I understand that, but in this case I know that the other candidate had the same mark in the same degree. The only difference was that she had been working in that lab for 6 months.

It doesn't really matter now though. I have since been accepted on to a PGCE. It was just a shock to find out that I was apperently clearly the 2nd best of the 3 but was over looked. Their loss I guess.

Tomble

I suspect that your case would be ruled out of time, however its stil possible to lodge a case for discrimination dependent on the material factor in your case

1. It would be useful to find out the following from you

are you male or female . If a male was preference given to the opposite sex?

2. Did some less qualified than you get the job based on their ethnicity?

3. How did you come to find out that you were the 2nd person By fair or Foul means?

4. You could still raise a claim , as the management side would have to prove that they have not discriminated against you. No Longer the other way round.

The NHS have a number of policies re equal opportunities for all but don't believe that. Some groups of workers are more equal than others!!!!!

If your a man basically you are bottom of the pile when it comes to promotion and opportunities. I resigned my post with the NHS out of principle a few years back , because I was told who 1 was to offer two senior contracts to.

Some very good male and female candidates were rejected when they had far more experience and qualifications than the two that were given the senior jobs. One female sued them and got a six figure sum. I had left by the time in went to tribunal.

I like your attitude , just let it go this once but if you want some further advice away from the forum let me know