Notts v Hants CCC

Weston Saint

Hants won the toss and put Notts in to bat.

Umpires: B Dudleston, J F Steele

Nottinghamshire: N Edwards, Shafayat, Hales, Adams, Patel, Brown, Read (C/W), Mullaney, Franks, Pattinson, Shreck

Hampshire: Dawson, Adams, Benham, McKenzie, Vince, Pothas (C/W), Ervine, Cork, Balcombe, Herath, Tomlinson

Carberry with England Lions, Lumb still away with England, Ali still injured and Griffiths has a routine medical check up.

Well that's encouraging.

Or are we about to see 24 wickets in one day, and fine for a poor pitch?!?!?

Cynical? Me? About Hampshire this season? Never.

Just take a look at our batting line up. That should calm your nerves. :rolleyes:

Jimmy Adams hasnt got a score since the opening game and a mutual friend has told me that they have changed his backlift again. After his best season last year, you would have thought they would have left well alone.

Well that's encouraging.

Or are we about to see 24 wickets in one day, and fine for a poor pitch?!?!?

Cynical? Me? About Hampshire this season? Never.

Notts will get the fine/points deduction so that's one thing I'm not bothered about. Just everything else !!

Ervine left not out, so that's 237* and now 31*. Has to be moved up the order.

Said that during the last game, he has batted at number 4 so why he is now at 7 I don't know other than maybe Pothas wants to take too much responsibility when being a wicketkeeper/ batsman and now captain is enough and indeed too much. I have a lot of time for Pothas but can think of very few captains who also keep wicket so I agree with Weston Saint in his "spring report" that Cork is an obvious choice if he plays or else maybe Carberry or Lumb when they return. Let Nic concentrate on his keeping in the field and nursing the tail at 7 though I know he likes to play his shots but hard to believe he should be ahead of Ervine.

Anyway Notts just lost Shafayat caught and bowled by Tomlinson so 25/1.

Said that during the last game, he has batted at number 4 so why he is now at 7 I don't know other than maybe Pothas wants to take too much responsibility when being a wicketkeeper/ batsman and now captain is enough and indeed too much. I have a lot of time for Pothas but can think of very few captains who also keep wicket so I agree with Weston Saint in his "spring report" that Cork is an obvious choice if he plays or else maybe Carberry or Lumb when they return. Let Nic concentrate on his keeping in the field and nursing the tail at 7 though I know he likes to play his shots but hard to believe he should be ahead of Ervine.

Anyway Notts just lost Shafayat caught and bowled by Tomlinson so 25/1.

With Tomlinson in as a night watchman, Ervine was in at no.8. A complete waste of his current form.

Edited by Lets B Avenue
swear filter cork up

Yet another very frustrating game! Really isn't looking good for us this year. Although funnilly enough i genuniely think we're 1 decent strike bowler away from being a very good 4 day side. Herath has been hugely disappointing for me. It's a shame because i reckon young Danny Briggs would have done just as good a job, if not better than Herath oer the last couple of games. If we'd have stuck with Briggs, and instead of Herath, added an overseas seamer with pace, i think we'd have had a couple of championship wins this season. Our bowling line up really lacks penetration and that is costing us when we need to knock over the tail quickly.

Yet another very frustrating game! Really isn't looking good for us this year. Although funnilly enough i genuniely think we're 1 decent strike bowler away from being a very good 4 day side. Herath has been hugely disappointing for me. It's a shame because i reckon young Danny Briggs would have done just as good a job, if not better than Herath oer the last couple of games. If we'd have stuck with Briggs, and instead of Herath, added an overseas seamer with pace, i think we'd have had a couple of championship wins this season. Our bowling line up really lacks penetration and that is costing us when we need to knock over the tail quickly.

Hindsight of course is a great thing but once we thought Tahir was not available surely a quick bowler was the best option, at least for the 1st half of the season. But then to replace Mendes with another spin bowler was definitely a mistake and one compounded by the fact he doesn't appear anything special. When Weston Saint compares him to Raj Maru ( a decent county player but no more) then I'm not inspired !!

Oh to have someone even half as good as Andy Roberts ( somewhat ironic he rather controversially replaced a very good spin bowler in David O'Sullivan the year after we won the CC in 1973!) or Malcolm Marshall.

Edited by chrisobee