Hants v Yorks - CCC

Weston Saint

Tomorrow sees what might be a high scoring match. Why do I say that?

Most runs this season in Championship Div 1

1. A Lyth 633 from 6 matches

2. J Rudolf 595 from 6 matches

3. S Ervine 553 from 6 matches

4. A McGrath 522 from 6 matches

5. J Adams 504 from 6 matches

12 M Carberry 425 from 5 matches

From the bowling most wickets

8. K Ali 19 from 4 matches (but likely to be out injured)

9 O Hanon-Dalby 19 from 6 matches

10 D Griffiths 18 from 5 matches

14 A Rashid 17 from 6 matches

15 D Patterson 16 from 4

Weather looks set fair. Looking forward to this one after the win against the leaders Notts in the CCC and the leaders Warwickshire in the Clydsdale 40's

Confidence will be back in the dressing room.

I think Pothas has lost the plot!

I also think our bowling looks very weak - i watched them yesterday against warwicks and was deeply unimpressed with Tomlinson's bowling and also Corky. And now today these two (especially Tomlinson) have been hammered. We are too erratic - we don't seem to be able to pressurise them from the start.

Well i hope i am wrong and we bowl them out for 150 but we haven't made a good start.

Yeah, because Cork's record of 10 wickets @ 23.60 this season is terrible!

Lies, damned lies and statistics?

I've seen Corky bowl a couple of times this season and he has lost the plot. Just my opinion of what I've seen.

Lumb is with the England squad at No.10 this afternoon. He will be able to play tomorrow and presumably, replace either Dawson or Vince.

If this is why we bowled. :confused:

If so it's probably the worst reason for bowling after winning the toss in the history of cricket !

I have long been a great admirer of Nic Pothas - he has dug us out of a lot of holes over the years.

However, I have come to the view he is a poor captain - he doesn't seem to inspire them, his choice of bowlers is utterly predictable (why didn't he try dawson today?), and he makes various poor decisions.

I heard someone on the TV say this season is the worse start Hants have ever made to the championship - can that really be true?

First, Lumb will replace Dawson tomorrow. That is not the reason Hampshire bowled first despite winning the toss nor did it preclude Dawson from batting or bowling.

The wicket was very green but it was a baking hot day and a mistake.

I spoke to David Fulton (Sky) ex Kent skipper. He would have batted. He told me some years ago that he won the toss on a similar green wicket on a baking hot day against Sussex. He put them in, they scored a massive amount and Kent lost. He said he learned from that decision.

Spoke to Tim Tremlett. They expect the wicket not to deteriorate.

Hampshire's bowling in the morning was poor.

David Griffiths tells me he has a hip injury but hopes to return soon. The same applies to Ali.

I heard second hand that Dimi is playing for the seconds this week so he should not be far away.

That is todays news.

Lumby suffering from a case of the im too good for you lots?

Bit harsh yes, but its a harsh world....

Completely different conditions to what he's been playing in for the last 3 months, to be fair. I expect he'll need a few innings to get reacclimatised.

Completely different conditions to what he's been playing in for the last 3 months, to be fair. I expect he'll need a few innings to get reacclimatised.

According to Yorkshire folk on t'radio, Lumb mistimed a shot and top edged to get out. Fits in with adjusting to conditions.

Well we have reached 125 for 2. I suppose it was utterly predictable that Lumb would got out for nought!

I still think the decision to bowl first was a big mistake and handed Yorks the initiative.

The yorkshire captain said on sky sports today that had they won the toss they would of bowled first as well.

Some of you seem to be very easily satisfied.

I think it's all pretty poor - wrong decision to bowl, poor bowling, not very good batting (with two exceptions), amnd now we are 216 behind and they ahev 9 wickets standing. I assume it will be a draw or a Yorkshire win (depending on the weather).

This is a dreadful season.

Some of you seem to be very easily satisfied.

I think it's all pretty poor - wrong decision to bowl, poor bowling, not very good batting (with two exceptions), amnd now we are 216 behind and they ahev 9 wickets standing. I assume it will be a draw or a Yorkshire win (depending on the weather).

This is a dreadful season.

I am with you Leicestershire according to my brother the worst start for over a century

Bowling wins Championships and we have no outstanding ones

Spoke to Dominic Cork this morning. He agrees Hants bowled poorly first morning. Asked him about his knee injury as he went off for a while on the first day. He said he felt a problem but it is ok now. He is positive about the remainder of our season.

I see and talk to enough of the players to share that optimism

Yorkshire are 216 ahead and if they play right they should declare when they have a lead of 300 or so leaving Hants to bat for 70 overs.

Yorkshire will want to win so they need to give us a stiff but getable target. With 70 overs and over 300 they will back themselves to bowl us out. The wicket is playing well but there is something still in it for the bowlers. Hants will start cautious but if they can avoid losing much in the way of wickets by the mid afternoon session it is game on.

I am with you Leicestershire according to my brother the worst start for over a century

Bowling wins Championships and we have no outstanding ones

Doesn't help when Kabir Ali, simon Jones and Dimi are all injured though does it? With those three in the side I think we've got a pretty pace bowling attack. With David Griffiths injured as well i would suggest our resources are farely depleted so our current struggles are understandable.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Well, all these posts are conjecture at present. It has been raining most of the night and morning. Although it's not exactly raining at present it is still overcast and damp and the grass is very wet.