Cat claw covers

Crouchie's Lawyer

I saw them on Dragons Den a while ago. They were rubbished but I cant help but think this may have been the one which got away from the Dragons. On the face of it they seem very successful having sold 50 million sets since they were invented in 1990's (or so).

At first I didnt think they were fair to cover the claws of the cats, and on outdoor cats my view still stands. However we have indoor cats and they have mutilated out wash bin and our sofa arm. We have recently got a new sofa and im now considering using these claw covers to stop the cats from scratching the sheet out of this sofa. Has anyone ever tried them? If so, what are they like?

The site says the cats dont mind, but they would hardly say cats hate them!

We lolled when we saw this. Our cat is very old and very docile. But I think he'd have a vinegar fit if we tried to put these on him. He hasn't got any teeth so he needs his claws more than most.

Surely you'd have to press the pad of each paw to expose the claws to fit the covers?

Crazy idea IMO. Have you got a scratching post for your cats?

Wouldn't touch them mate. Deffo not right for the cat. Probably give them some complex so they then end up peeing everywhere inside which is worse.

Get sofa arm guards instead.

I have looked everywhere on ebay for sofa arm guards (which led me to the claw covers) but couldnt find them. With reference to you saying they are not right, have you tried them, or is it just an opinion?

We lolled when we saw this. Our cat is very old and very docile. But I think he'd have a vinegar fit if we tried to put these on him. He hasn't got any teeth so he needs his claws more than most.

Surely you'd have to press the pad of each paw to expose the claws to fit the covers?

Crazy idea IMO. Have you got a scratching post for your cats?

Yes we have a scratching post, but the cats favour our wash basket and sofa. The scratching post is not big enough as they stretch when they scratch.

Yes you do have to press their paws, however the sheath/cover does not interfere with their normal retraction or extention of their claws.

This is the site I was looking at and as I mentioned above, although im sure they wouldnt put anything bad about them on their site. It seems to be sensible what they are saying?

http://www.spuk.com/faq.asp

I haven't tried cat claw covers as I think it's wrong. Just IMO.

I think most pet shops sell sofa arm guards, that's where I got some from anyway. They don't look brilliant as they don't match the sofa but I just take them off and boot the cats out into the kitchen if I have guests! A DIY method that also works is put packaging tape on the sofa arms as they hate it and you can peel it off with no issues afterwards.

My original thoughts about the covers were that they were crawl. That the cats would feel them on their claws and not like it. It maybe propaganda (sp?) but the site says they dont hurt them and the cats get used to them in no time at all.

I was and still am fully aware of what owning a pet means and the consequences of doing this, however, if there is a painless, agro free way of solving this issue, im willing to try it. If they show any signs of discomfort, ill take them off. I was hoping someone on here may have actually tried them before though.

My original thoughts about the covers were that they were crawl. That the cats would feel them on their claws and not like it. It maybe propaganda (sp?) but the site says they dont hurt them and the cats get used to them in no time at all.

I was and still am fully aware of what owning a pet means and the consequences of doing this, however, if there is a painless, agro free way of solving this issue, im willing to try it. If they show any signs of discomfort, ill take them off. I was hoping someone on here may have actually tried them before though.

Excellent! :D

You did mean to pun there, didn't you?

Having your home wrecked is all part and parcel of having a cat. A bit like having crayon over your walls and biscuits in your video recorder when you have a kid.

My brother and I used to put our hands in the video reorder and my dad stopped us by telling us there was a little monster in there called 'Sid Vid' that would bite them off if we did it again, it worked a treat, we were even scared to put videos in the thing!

Jilleh Willeh, whats your opinion on this matter? I was especially keen to hear your response as know you have cats too!

Well our two have a very large scratching post and they do use it all the time, being bengals, they are forever climbing trees (and getting stuck, stupid f*ckers) so they sharpen their claws that way. I think claw covers would be cruel, you get a cat/s deal with the consequences. My cousin in the US has had her cat de-clawed and I felt so sorry for the poor thing seeing it try to climb a fence and failing miserably.

Well our two have a very large scratching post and they do use it all the time, being bengals, they are forever climbing trees (and getting stuck, stupid f*ckers) so they sharpen their claws that way. I think claw covers would be cruel, you get a cat/s deal with the consequences. My cousin in the US has had her cat de-clawed and I felt so sorry for the poor thing seeing it try to climb a fence and failing miserably.

Our cats are indoor cats though so fence climbing etc is redundant. I would never de-claw them, that is cruel.

Why?

Because we live quite close to a very busy road with a huge field the other side which I know would be like a cats heaven with loads of mice etc so I'd rather not chance them getting run over. There are also a lot of larger male cats outside. The thought of seeing another cat bum rape my little cats also doesnt bear thinking about. Ergo, indoor cats. They dont seem to mind.

I'd love to see them trying to climb a tree with them on.

They are for indoor cats only. If my cats went out, I wouldnt have put them on.

The bigger cat has 8 claws covered now (no point doing the 'thumb' claws or rear legs) She is fine with them. The little one who hates having her claws trimmed has 4 on her right and one on her left. She washed her paws for about half an hour and tried to pull them off but after a while she was ok with them.

Having now put them on, I dont think they are cruel and they will stop them scratching the sheet out of the sofas!