Looking for a new job.

OLYMPIC

Now i am 34 and have worked for myself for the last ten years carrying out electrical repair work on televisions,hifi,camcorders etc but now i just feel like it's time for a change any ideas?

I am not looking to stay in the same trade but not sure what else to do.

Possibly not the best time to abandon what you know if its giving you a good living. Risky times ahead.

My thoughts exactly. A lot of companies will be laying off rather than employing and if you were lucky to be taken on by someone, if the company needed to cut its cloth accordingly in the near future, your newly aquired job could be at risk.

If your current role is earning you enough to live from, stick at it while the storm is approaching and over head.

My thoughts exactly. A lot of companies will be laying off rather than employing and if you were lucky to be taken on by someone, if the company needed to cut its cloth accordingly in the near future, your newly aquired job could be at risk.

If your current role is earning you enough to live from, stick at it while the storm is approaching and over head.

Yeah i know what you mean,it's just that i have been doing this for so long now it holds no interest anymore.The daft thing is as the credit crunch bites i have started to get more work in over the last few months.

But just have this feeling that times passing by and if i don't do something soon i will be stuck here in another ten years.

Can I remind everyone that the Lounge is for discussions and The Muppet Show is the place to post stupid and sarcastic replies.

Sorry Baj! I know that was aimed at me...

Yeah i know what you mean,it's just that i have been doing this for so long now it holds no interest anymore.The daft thing is as the credit crunch bites i have started to get more work in over the last few months. But just have this feeling that times passing by and if i don't do something soon i will be stuck here in another ten years.

If you are still determined even in todays climate, then the trick is to find/thik of a sector/industry which you can go into which will not be affected by the credit crunch. Or atleast not as much. People will always need gas, electric, water, cars, food etc etc so something inovative in these industries would be your best bet. However, you wouldnt be alone in thinking of new ways to make money in these markets!

Alternatively, do what you love. Something you enjoy, which you can make money from?

Yeah i know what you mean,it's just that i have been doing this for so long now it holds no interest anymore.The daft thing is as the credit crunch bites i have started to get more work in over the last few months.

But just have this feeling that times passing by and if i don't do something soon i will be stuck here in another ten years.

I would stick with it for another 12-18 months if I were you.

When times are tough people will be looking for the repair option rather than the replace option to save a few quid on 'consumer' goods.

Use that time to take some sort of course or look at other options that interest you...