The Unofficial Official Glastonbury 2011 Thread

swannymere

I could never contemplate not going to Glasto, it'd be like not having a christmas. Eavo has already booked the 3 headliners, 2 are supposedly British bands that have headlined before (most probably Radiohead and Coldplay), and one is a female solo artist who hasn't headlined but has 'been', which could mean that she's played but not headlined or just come to the festival. That leads people to think it will either be Lady Gaga (played Other Stage in 2009), Kylie (was due to headline in 2005 but had to pull out due to cancer, played this year with Scissor Sisters) or Beyonce (who came with her husband Jay-Z when he headlined in 08). Eavis did say that he'd love Beyonce to play at the time, so she's probably the most likely choice in my eyes, especially as the hint was worded so carefully. There's also rumour that U2 are playing as they have left a big Glasto-sized gap in their rescheduled tour dates for next year.

Aside from that, nothing much going around at the moment, although tickets can be purchased from October 3rd, so we will probably have more hints by then.

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch. Man did I feel bad today (after I stopped laughing)

being overseas have always had trouble getting through on the day tickets go on sale, so my buddy said he'd do it for me.

He got into the queuing system, went through the whole process of typing in the details for the GF & me then instead of adding his details he pressed the complete transaction button, forgetting to add his & his wife's details.

Got back into the queue again to be told

Sold Out

4 hours and we're going & he is down to pot luck again in April

Lol in many ways but feel really really bad for him and it also fecks up our whole campervan plan

Anyone else get through?

You're all way off!

Ok, so one night will be "A massive American Act"

One night will be a "Massive Current/fairly Recent Act"

And one night will be "Massive Legendary Act"

Then watch Seetickets.com for bands on tour or regrouping next year. simples

Prince is obviously a good logical shout as he is obviously on the road as he's down here in November

And the best will be the Sunday night on The Other stage which you didn't go to (again) as you wanted to see a Legend

And as usual you will trek all the way to the Park for the "Surprise Guests" to find - you went to the wrong band and you had never heard of who was on but while you listened to Englebert Humperdinck for a Laugh you missed GreenDay

Rolling Stones it is then, Linkin Park may be in down the order somewhere....

OK time for a sweepstake thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

And Beyonce has already put out a press release saying how excited she is to be headining Glastonbury on the Sunday evening. Sounds like the rumours were true and we won't have to wait long for confirmation of U2 for Friday.

None of the 3 really inspire me tbh, Coldplay and U2 are massively over-rated (although both have done some excellent songs - it's just drowned out by all their other turgid stuff) and Beyonce isn't really my kind of thing.

Big rumours for Primal Scream to headline the Other Stage on Friday with their 'Screamadelica' show, with the Chemical Brothers and The Libertines or The Strokes to do the other 2 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Woo Hoo. Pay for ticket weekend is here.

Yep us Johnny Foreigners get to book the CamperVan tickets and pay the full balance an age before you lot, and we're allowed to use Credit Cards (phew)

So a frustrating afternoon of F5ing awaits.

U2 on Friday, OK great name, but saw them at Wembley in the 80's and they were very meh (The Prentenders stole that show).

Beyonce, hmm didn't bother to drive 100kms to see her when we had free ticket passes for the first F1 GP in Abu Dhabi, but somehow think the GF will have her high up the list, unless something special is on The Other Stage

Coldplay. Well, we were spoiled by their Gig in Abu Dhabi in the middle of 3 thunderstorms and rain drops the size of Vodka Shots. Things were blowing up on the stage but the band played on and it was without a doubt THE best gig I have ever seen (not necessarily the best Musical Content). Will I want to sour those memories by sitting in my Deck Chair 200 yards from the stage? Hmm

Looking forward to seeing what the options on the other stages are to be honest. The joy of Glasto is randomly finding something or someone you'd never had thought to see who turned out to rock and it always seems to be after a good stay at the Cider Bus

Strangely over the years that has included Will Young, La Roux, some completely unknown Ska band from Bristol, Lady Gaga, Eddie Grant, Hot Ratz The Prodigy (Mosh Pit at my age with a deckchair on my back - how stupid is that but AWESOME!) some African Duet and (FFS) Tony Christie singing Amarrillo. Random

Battles have been added to the rumour list today.

BB King has been updated from Rumour to Strong rumour as he added dates to his UK tour with a Glasto shaped hole in the middle.

A band that I somehow see every year without trying '360' -Ska band from London are confirmed for the Pussy Parlour. - I normally see them about midnight, check them out if you can.

Don't like any of the headliners this year although Beyonce might get some good guests on with her (Jay-Z is definitely going to be at the festival anyway as they always go with each other on tour dates) so might be worth a watch.

Looks like the Other Stage and West Holts are going to be very good this year; Other Stage headliners are rumoured to be Primal Scream, Chemical Brothers (with Underworld playing before) and The Libertines. West Holts is rumoured to have Jimmy Cliff, BB King and M.I.A.

Battles would be insane. I missed them last time I went because they clashed with Jay-Z. I'll be avoiding all Pyramid Stage headliners like the plague.

Jimmy Cliff headlined Jazz World in 2008 on the Friday. Magical.

Battles got a short set there last year because some **** indie band overran. However, I saw them live twice elsewhere and it's REALLY worth watching. Although I hear the vocalist has left so I don't know what they're going to do there.

Babyhead?

Yeah mine is a bit like that this morning after a heavy Karaoke & Bullfrog Night last night.... Good news was the GF won the "Sing a Stevie Wonder" competition - stone me, she won TWO freebie tickets to see the main man himself in Abu Dhabi in a couple of weeks.

meanwhile I have no idea of the name of the band but they were in Pussey Parleur when it rained mid afternoon on Thursday 3 Glasto's ago

160ewwh.jpg

More acts announced today:

Primal Scream

Mumford and Sons

Anna Calvi

BB King

Big Boi

The Chemical Brothers

Crystal Castles

Friendly Fires

Fleet Foxes

Gruff Rhys

James Blake

Janelle Monae

Laura Marling

Warpaint

Primal Scream and Mumford & Sons are headlining and co-headlining respectively on the Other Stage on Friday against U2 and (from what i've seen although not announced) Elbow.

More acts announced today:

Primal Scream

Mumford and Sons

Anna Calvi

BB King

Big Boi

The Chemical Brothers

Crystal Castles

Friendly Fires

Fleet Foxes

Gruff Rhys

James Blake

Janelle Monae

Laura Marling

Warpaint

Primal Scream and Mumford & Sons are headlining and co-headlining respectively on the Other Stage on Friday against U2 and (from what i've seen although not announced) Elbow.

BB king, Chems and Elbow.

Also a rather odd little band on the Wednesday called Severed Limb sound like a goer.

I'd like to see Mumford on Friday but B.B. King and Jimmy Cliff at West Holts would be amazing. U2 can go f*ck themselves AFAIC.

Chems beat Coldplay every time.

Beyonce does not inspire me, and if the rumours of The Libertines or The Strokes are true for the Other Stage headliner then i'd be there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spCq1dAiZ6g

I think he would draw a relatively big crowd, although against Primal Scream and U2 it'll be no mean feat!

I like Mumford on album but i've also heard mixed reviews about them live, some have said they're amazing and some have said they were a bit rubbish. The BB King/Jimmy Cliff combo may prove too tempting...

We can watch them together Steve, arms linked, with a pint of Brothers in our free hands, tears running freely down our ruddy, sunkissed cheeks and into the Glastonbury mud below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spCq1dAiZ6g

I think he would draw a relatively big crowd, although against Primal Scream and U2 it'll be no mean feat!

I like Mumford on album but i've also heard mixed reviews about them live, some have said they're amazing and some have said they were a bit rubbish. The BB King/Jimmy Cliff combo may prove too tempting...

We can watch them together Steve, arms linked, with a pint of Brothers in our free hands, tears running freely down our ruddy, sunkissed cheeks and into the Glastonbury mud below.

No bumming tho, that glasto mud can be abrasive!