Dead PS3

Barfy

My PS3 succumbed to the "Yellow Light of Death" last week. An electronics engineer at work went through the repair process, but that only gave me a chance to recover my Black Ops disc, so it looks like I'm going to have to replace the old girl...

Does anyone know if there is anywhere that does part-ex on consoles? I'm guessing there won't be much discount, but anything is better than full price :D

Failing that, what are the best options to get a new console? maybe a new mobile phone contract or something?

When my PS3 suffered the same fate as yours I paid £160 to SONY for a refurbished PS3 exactly like the one that broke. It was the cheapest option and came with a three month warranty. Failing that you could look on E BAY for any cheap ones.

Yeah spoke to them today, the offer was £130, will probably go with that. Though may bite the bullet and just upgrade to a new PS3 slim, just hoping there may be some p/x value in the very expensive brick.

One other thing though, the electronics guy at work got it working, so I put the Black Ops disc back in, is there a non-destructive way of recovering it?

Probably going to go with a new slim ps3 now, if I can persuade enough people to chip in for the Christmas present at least.

I'd like to get as much data off the hard drive as possible, does anyone know what the best method would be given that the ps3 doesn't switch on?

Thanks

Probably going to go with a new slim ps3 now, if I can persuade enough people to chip in for the Christmas present at least.

I'd like to get as much data off the hard drive as possible, does anyone know what the best method would be given that the ps3 doesn't switch on?

Thanks

I'd recommend physically taking the HDD out and just swapping it over (assuming you're not buying a PS3 with a bigger HDD). It's a really easy process (I upgraded my PS3 HDD to 500GB a few months back).

If you would prefer to copy everything off the old HDD and transfer it all, then I'd suggest putting the old HDD in your new PS3, running through the back-up process (you'll need an external drive) and then putting the new HDD back in the new PS3 and copying everything from the external drive to the new one. Then you can put your old HDD in the old PS3 and try and get some cash for it.

• 9 months later...

If it's the problem that hits 90% of them it's bloody easy to fix yourself. Given that a new slim can be had for £170-180 I wasn't going to ring Sony's customer services and pay £100+ for a refurb model that could easily fail again.

Basically I stripped the console down to the motherboard, heated that up to reflow the solder (can be done in the oven) and reapplied the thermal paste with a silver-based compound rather than the cheap rubbish Sony used (can be bought for £8 in Maplin). Put it all back together and hey presto! Seems to be working just fine at the moment and has stopped shutting itself down after a few minutes. It's the most reliable fix for dead/dying PS3s and essentially the same method employed by a repair shop. It will eventually give up the ghost again, but it will if you get somebody else to repair it too. Might last months, might be years.

Let me know if you want to give it a go along with your model of PS3 (old or slim and the hard drive size it came with) and I'll post the tutorials. Really didn't take long and I'm normally useless with this sort of thing. All you really need is a screwdriver set (cross-head), a Torx screwdriver (can't remember the size but can look it up) and preferrably some thermal paste (I bought Arctic Silver but pretty much anything is better than what's already in there). If you've got some compressed air it'll help to clear out the buildup of dust but I did it all by hand so that's far from necessary.

The way I looked at it I'd rather have a go at fixing the thing for under a tenner than pay a ton now and potentially still have to buy a new console in a few months anyway.

I may be missing something here, but if Sony are selling something that has what appears to be a design fault, why aren't people exercising their statutory consumer rights and demanding full refunds? It shouldn't matter if the device is out of manufacturer's warranty period, if there's a design fault then the thing isn't "fit for purpose".

I agree in the main, but it's partly because it's very, very difficult to prove whether its negligence on Sony's part or wear and tear caused by normal use. Personally speaking I've had thousands of hours of playing/watching/browsing/downloading over the three and a half years I've owned my PS3, often leaving it on for stretches of up to 12 hours. Any electrical device left on for periods such as that is going to give in eventually.

Obviously that level of use won't be the standard case for everybody that's had one fail but essentially it's to do with the PS3 going from a high temperature after running to an instant cooldown - you're better to leave it on the XMB for a while after playing a game. The more times there's a sharp change in temperature around the internal components the more quickly the solder loses its elasticity and eventually starts to crack or 'bubble' causing a short.

Part of the problem is that EU directives mean Sony can only use lead-free solder. As a result of that ALL PS3s are lead-free (I guess it's simply easier to produce fewer types of console per region, size of hard drive notwithstanding).

So in that case there's not an awful lot that can be done. If you can prove that the thermal compound between the CPU/Graphics Processor and heatsink aren't up to scratch and caused the hardware to overheat then you would have a case, but good luck to anybody that tries as I'm not sure exactly how that could be diagnosed :?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...