Job hunting

SO16_Saint

On a serious note Bridgey, I think you should consider keeping it to yourself who you will be working for mate. Some people will be over you like a rash for inside info and favours. ;-)

I am saying nothing more on the subject, lips sealed.

Congratulations! I hope the economy picks up (or at least demand for EFL/ESOL teachers) before I move back to the UK in a couple of years, or I won't be getting a season ticket!

In my opinion Sue, I think it will start to recover (ish) this summer. I'm no conspiracy theorist (or am I) but this recession is just a very small group of wealthy men keeping us in our place, they'll drip feed the 'recovery' when they are ready to IMHO.

The first real improvement in the British/European situation will correspond with the coming of the warmer weather, doubling the happiness factor.

I just heard on r4 that theirs to be an increase in the boe base rate, meaning the banks are ready to let us rejoin the HP lifestyle that so many hanker for. You will know as well as I that happiness is not found through money, possessions and associated debt Sue. It is to be found beneath the cork of a nice Rioja. FACT

In my opinion Sue, I think it will start to recover (ish) this summer. I'm no conspiracy theorist (or am I) but this recession is just a very small group of wealthy men keeping us in our place, they'll drip feed the 'recovery' when they are ready to IMHO.

The first real improvement in the British/European situation will correspond with the coming of the warmer weather, doubling the happiness factor.

I just heard on r4 that theirs to be an increase in the boe base rate, meaning the banks are ready to let us rejoin the HP lifestyle that so many hanker for. You will know as well as I that happiness is not found through money, possessions and associated debt Sue. It is to be found beneath the cork of a nice Rioja. FACT

TBH everything on interest rates will be clearer nearing the end of the year - the banks have to pay back the money given to them under the Special Liquidity Scheme, which is why lending has been tighter.

Everything will start to happen at once - expect rate rises to begin in the last few months this year (but only by 0.25% at a time) and the lenders will also turn the tap (slowly) back on.

They'll have to - because the amount of people at risk when rates rise is HUGE - LTSB's mortgage book (which includes C&G, Halifax etc) has over 70% of mortgage holders on their variable rate of 2.5%..

If you know anyone who has a mortgage, they need to review it as soon as possible - waiting for rates to rise first is a false economy, because as soon as they rise, you watch the banks rack up the profits by raising the fixed rates..

I speak from experience, I spent over a decade working for high street lenders.

What are the rules on job descriptions? If a job changes significantly and you don't like what you have to do now, but it doesn't match your contract, can you actually do anything?

I'm having to do a lot tougher job now, getting paid a lot less than some people doing the same job, but I have to do my old job too, and help cover for 2 people who've left and won't be replaced. So the company save a lot on wages, I work 60 hours a week, the quality of work goes down the toilet because there's no time/staff, and it's all thoroughly depressing/demotivating.

Tempted to leave as I've been feeling pretty ill and really exhausted. Think having time to concentrate on the job search might be the only way to help things, but don't have a permanent place to live so leaving is a bit problematic. Hard though when you know your company is completely taking the ****.

Have you signed the opt out to the European directive on working hours, if you have not and are being forced to work additional hours to cover and that equates to more than 48 hours on a rolling 13 weeks, the see you personnel manager and ask for advice on the way forward, you may have a case for constructive dismissal if you are forced to leave on health grounds and they have not helped alleviate the problem after you have raised the issue.

What are the rules on job descriptions? If a job changes significantly and you don't like what you have to do now, but it doesn't match your contract, can you actually do anything?

I'm having to do a lot tougher job now, getting paid a lot less than some people doing the same job, but I have to do my old job too, and help cover for 2 people who've left and won't be replaced. So the company save a lot on wages, I work 60 hours a week, the quality of work goes down the toilet because there's no time/staff, and it's all thoroughly depressing/demotivating.

Tempted to leave as I've been feeling pretty ill and really exhausted. Think having time to concentrate on the job search might be the only way to help things, but don't have a permanent place to live so leaving is a bit problematic. Hard though when you know your company is completely taking the ****.

I can sympathise. My employers are making staffing cuts, voluntry job losses first (but compulsory's are just around the corner) anyone leaves they don't get replaced my team has gone from seven down to four yet somehow we're expected to maintan the same high standards as before.............. and thats before the extra work thats about to get thrown our way.

You can go down the constructive (unfair) dismissal route fairly easily without legal support, just google 'employment tribunal' and dl the forms, it's very cheap too. Problem could e that you can only claim (iirc) 3 months wages max which won't last long if you don't find another job sharpish.

Maybe find something else then pursue them for compensation nsomemcall it 'hush money' but it's your legal right if your employer has broken the law.

Many years ago I took BAA to court over a pretty nasty vindictive bullying and harassment case. I did it myself and although it was very stressful for me and my loved ones I am glad I did. They spent approx £10k on legal representation pre hearing and on the day offered me a settlement which I accepted.

I also walked straight into my new job so win win.

My only regret at the time (I'm over it now) was that I didn't drag the bastard managers responsible into the hearing to get them formally named as such.

On a serious note Bridgey, I think you should consider keeping it to yourself who you will be working for mate. Some people will be over you like a rash for inside info and favours. ;-)

Indeed!! Keeping it quiet...

Canestan salesman?

You will know as well as I that happiness is not found through money, possessions and associated debt Sue. It is to be found beneath the cork of a nice Rioja. FACT

No debts thanks.:-) On the Rioja front do you prefer joven or older crianza. Marques de Riscal used to be nice. Mind you, I've developed my tastes in Italian wine and there's even 3 growers and 1 co-operative I buy direct from.

SO who has tips for a career change cv? I quit my job and my last day was last tuesday.... Almost a week into doing nothing and i am already bored... Looking for a career change from a psuedo engineer to finance. Any ideas for what to write in my career change cv? Do i need to makea functional cv? To be honest i think my functional cv would be rather boring!!!!

Sue, what about football coaching through the Saints Foundation? Might not pay top whack but I'd guess with your playing background you could be really good at it and youd see the fruits of your labours developing week in week out.

Summer camps could be ideal perhaps.

Another thought I just had was crewing on yacht delivery charters?

Sue, what about football coaching through the Saints Foundation? Might not pay top whack but I'd guess with your playing background you could be really good at it and youd see the fruits of your labours developing week in week out.

Summer camps could be ideal perhaps.

Another thought I just had was crewing on yacht delivery charters?

Thanks! All ideas that have crossed my mind. Homestay students too, but I'm really so not a domestic goddess.. (I could always pay for a cleaner, I suppose..).

The other thought was English language teacher for all Saint's new international stars, but apparently that's already sorted (some years ago I enquired!).

Trouble is, while I know a lot about football, am quite fit, can run all day, would enjoy coaching and am keen to learn, I'm not a great footballer!

Well, not a great chance then. You've got a lot of competition!!:-))

Mind you, playing in Italy I've actually been coached so have a few ideas. As long as I don't have to demonstrate too much or do keepy-uppy..