Lou Reed

scotty

Just saw him at the hammersmith apollo. What a waste of money, that was without doubt the most disappointing concert I have ever attended. Excellent backing band, but the dross they had to churn out was truly appalling, in fact almost unlistenable.

• 4 weeks later...

I lost interest in Lou Reed years ago. He seems to think that his 'living legend' status justifies the ticket price on its own. A shame that someone with such a great back catalogue can't be arsed to play them properly. I saw the Velvet Underground re-union tour back in the early 90's and it was really bad, mainly due to Reeds refusal to sing the songs properly. Dylan has the same contempt for his fans by all accounts.

Him and Mark Knopfler are at the BIC 14 Oct.

Was thinking of going as I like LR's stuff.

Having second thoughts now...

I saw LR a couple of weeks ago. I'll never get those hours back.

Worst gig ever.

I might still go, it's actually Bob Dillon, not Lou Reed!

:lol:

:blush:

I lost interest in Lou Reed years ago. He seems to think that his 'living legend' status justifies the ticket price on its own. A shame that someone with such a great back catalogue can't be arsed to play them properly. I saw the Velvet Underground re-union tour back in the early 90's and it was really bad, mainly due to Reeds refusal to sing the songs properly. Dylan has the same contempt for his fans by all accounts.

I'd say that's very unfair on Dylan. He has always adapted and changed his older songs for live shows, which is an indication of his own intellectual restlessness rather than any contempt for fans. I saw him when I was living in Newcastle a few years back, and on some of the older songs he played that night you only realised what the song was when you heard the words (Masters Of War springs to mind). Songs from the then current LP, Modern Times, were played pretty much as per the LP itself. If he'd walked on with an acoustic guitar and harmonica and played a load of his old stuff in its original style I'd have been massively disappointed.

I'd far rather pay money to see someone who constantly refreshes and reinvents their music than an artist who simply reels off note-perfect renditions of their original recordings, with maybe a longer solo here and there (the Rolling Stones being a good example). Dylan's not content to play a "greatest hits" type of show, and is all the better for that. Purely my own opinion, of course.

As to Lou Reed, he's long had a reputation as a deeply unpleasant individual. I remember seeing an interview with him a few years ago and thinking what an arsehole he was.

I take on board and appreciate all you say about Dylan - I'm just a casual fan of his and certainly not an authority. My comment was based on the opinion of a friend who IS a massive fan, but tells me that his live shows are very hit and miss where he can sometimes barely be bothered to toss out every third line. There is a clip on YouTube of him doing 'Like a Rolling Stone' at Finsbury Park recently that bears this out. I can understand his reluctance to just roll out the crowd pleasing 'big hits', but if you're going to do them, you may as well do them properly! I think Reed and Dylan should take a leaf out of Neil Young's book with regard to live performance by the old and infirm!