A test of Apple...

Baj

So, a few months ago I had an accident with my iPhone and had to have it replaced on insurance. A very smooth system meant I had my replacement iPhone from Apple in 48 hours. Brill.

Yesterday however, the sleep button failed, it wont click, press, and its now sunk slightly into the phone. Very annoying, can no longer lock the phone.

Now, there doesn't seem to be any mention on the website of warranty for replaced goods. I would have expected something minimal, for example, 90 days.

So, as things stand, I see two sides to the argument

Apple) Tough ****, your old phone was outside warranty, why should we give you any warranty at all on a replacement

Me) So that means you can send me a replacement, which obviously costs my insurance company (and myself £150 which I had to claim back) which can fail the day I receive it, and its tough tits?

I have an appointment with the genius bar tomorrow, will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Replaced :)

They were initially reluctant as it was 81 days outside its initial warranty. I asked how long replacement items come with a warranty for, I was told "90 days if you do it in store", I asked how come mine doesnt have that, they said "because it was replaced through your insurance company", I gave a wry smile, the guy went and checked with the boss and there was no fuss, replaced on the spot.

Although im impressed by Apples customer service, is does go to show they are not the indestructable wonder machines fanboys claim them to be!

Two friends of mine have regularly had their iphones freeze, and not being able to remove/replace the battery this is a big problem.

having an iPhone freeze is very VERY easy to fix

Replaced :)

They were initially reluctant as it was 81 days outside its initial warranty. I asked how long replacement items come with a warranty for, I was told "90 days if you do it in store", I asked how come mine doesnt have that, they said "because it was replaced through your insurance company", I gave a wry smile, the guy went and checked with the boss and there was no fuss, replaced on the spot.

Could you take a picture of you smiling wry-ly and post it on this thread? I'd like to see for myself.

Not wanting to troll on this but you wonder if the upcoming iphone 5 and the need to clear iPhone 4 stock may have influenced their generosity?

Not at all. Within a month of the iPhone 4 release, I had a hairline crack on the glass back. I'm not sure how it happened, but I took it back to the Apple Store with a.n.other intermittent 'software-based' complaint and it was immediately replaced. Then, a few months ago my home button became 'temperamental' but it wasn't clear whether it was a hardware failure or connected to a Jailbreak software installation / tweak. Anyway, they replaced it immediately once again, despite it being out of its 12mth warranty period.

Apple's aftercare is second to NONE.

Not at all. Within a month of the iPhone 4 release, I had a hairline crack on the glass back. I'm not sure how it happened, but I took it back to the Apple Store with a.n.other intermittent 'software-based' complaint and it was immediately replaced. Then, a few months ago my home button became 'temperamental' but it wasn't clear whether it was a hardware failure or connected to a Jailbreak software installation / tweak. Anyway, they replaced it immediately once again, despite it being out of its 12mth warranty period.

Apple's aftercare is second to NONE.

Well I guess it would have to be given their main product that appears to suffer so many problems :):)

Well I guess it would have to be given their main product that appears to suffer so many problems :):)

Did you READ my previous statement!? I made up a 'software issue' on the first one to get a replacement for my new and newly cracked iPhone. The second one 'may' have been a home button hardware fault, but could also have been an issue resulting from one of my Jailbreak tweets: I don't know. The bottom line is both were replaced on the spot without any need for an in-depth investigation into the problems. I can't think of any other company who would do this consistently, despite items being out of warranty like my second one and Baj's one were.

Did you READ my previous statement!? I made up a 'software issue' on the first one to get a replacement for my new and newly cracked iPhone. The second one 'may' have been a home button hardware fault, but could also have been an issue resulting from one of my Jailbreak tweets: I don't know. The bottom line is both were replaced on the spot without any need for an in-depth investigation into the problems. I can't think of any other company who would do this consistently, despite items being out of warranty like my second one and Baj's one were.

I read your post. You had several problems with your phone that required it to be replaced in each case. Don't see how that affects my argument. If you had not had problems with your phone(s) you would not have needed the customer service.

I read your post. You had several problems with your phone that required it to be replaced in each case. Don't see how that affects my argument. If you had not had problems with your phone(s) you would not have needed the customer service.

Wow, I thought you debate here was about the level of after care, which has been shown by my thread, is still second to none. Apple didnt have to replace my iphone, they would have been quite within their right to deny a replacement as it was outside of its warranty based on how it was replaced. I should technically have to have gone through my insurance company. Apple didnt mind, they saw that keeping the consumer happy was more important than playing the "line". They replaced my iphone, on the spot, with very little conversation. THIS is why I will continue to shop with Apple

Sorry, just being a bit of a troll (don't throw me in jail please) about this but my point remains that the customer service argument that they are so good at replacing iPhones with problems indicates to me that this is a very common situation for them thus implying it is a very regular occurrence thus implying something about the reliability of iPhones.