Surge Radio

SuperMikey

Some of you may be aware of Surge Radio - the University of Southampton's student radio station which I present a weekly show on with some of my mates. From Monday morning, the station will be broadcast on 87.7FM for a month which means you can listen to it in your cars, at work, at home... anywhere! Our show has been switched to a Friday evening slot, so i'll be broadcasting from 7-9pm on Fridays - playing music, chatting and getting everyone ready for a big night out on Friday.

The best shows from the station have been cherry-picked for longer slots, so the quality is high. It'll be worth tuning in during the day, but especially on Friday from 7-9! Get yer texts and that in.

See you there...

We do alot of work down the Uni and had to endure "SsssssssssssssURGE!" most days whilst tucking into a big 10 in the cafe. I hope your material is of a higher standard than what could be found at that time of day. Don't mean to be harsh but some of it is truly painful.

That whole "SssssssssssssURGE" thing too... I mean, it just sounds utterly sheeeeite.

Should I expect to hear plenty of cheesey house Pete Tong style?

It'll probably be more mainstream, but we've chucked a few proper anthems in there to give a bit of balance to the show. Expect to hear Underworld, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers...maybe even some Herbaliser as well.

good luck with that.is this done every year? as i remember back in 92/93 listening to Stu J ,who owned Movement records, doing a few shows on some Uni radio that was broadcasting on FM for a while. still got a tape of it some where as i got a shout out on the show.

Cheers mate, Surge is broadcast on FM each year for a few weeks around Student Election time, this year it's going to be for a whole month which is the longest in about 8 or 9 years I think... Phil Jupitus broadcast from the studio before when we were playing on FM, his breakfast show was broadcast simultaneously on whatever station he was on and Surge. Still got the photo hanging in the studio...

We may or may not have some stuff on the archive from past FM broadcasts, although i'm not completely sure that we would have kept everything...

We do alot of work down the Uni and had to endure "SsssssssssssssURGE!" most days whilst tucking into a big 10 in the cafe. I hope your material is of a higher standard than what could be found at that time of day. Don't mean to be harsh but some of it is truly painful.

That whole "SssssssssssssURGE" thing too... I mean, it just sounds utterly sheeeeite.

Ahh, the big 10. Breakfast of champions.

I have to say, some shows are awful. But we're all amateurs really, some people have the knack and others don't. It's all just about having a laugh. As I said, the shows with the higher listenerships and quality have been picked for FM so it ought to be generally pretty decent quality stuff going out. The jingles, beds and adverts are terrible though, makes it sound really low-rent - but some more are being recorded over the next week or so, hopefully they'll be better...

That's the one, you can also 'like' our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/surgeradio) on which you can stream the show through the award winning 'Listen Live' app and also request songs. The good thing about it being on Facebook as well is if you have a smartphone like an iPhone or similar, you can stream it on that when you're on the bus...in your car - anything like that really. Not that you'd want to, mind.

Anybody tune in today? I listened for a few hours earlier and I was actually quite impressed by just how good some of it was! We had a session from local band Ideawake live in the studio today and they sounded great.

87.7 FM if you want to tune in, alternatively you can listen at www.surgeradio.co.uk/listen or on our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/surgeradio!

Haha! Well, my co-host was particularly enthusiastic tonight so he took the reins for the show.

Thought it went ok, bit sloppy but we usually just go Song-Chat-Song-Chat so talking over music and playing music continuously took a lot more concentration that we usually put in! Glad you enjoyed it though mate!