New Company Car advice.

Tractor_Saint

OK, so currently have a Merc 220 CLC at CO2 of about 180. Need to change the car now for a new one (hard times huh?). Test driving at the moment and I'm looking at CO2 of around 130 which means I can afford a 40k car roughly (i.e. same tax and PUC as the Merc). So, test driving the following:

Mercedes E250 Cdi BlueEFFICIENCY Sport Automatic

BMW 525D M Sport

Jaguar XF 2.2 Premium Luxury 190PS

Audi AUDI A5 SPTBK 5St 12 3.0D S-LINE MUL

Any comments on pros and cons. As it's a company car not bothered about depreciation but have to have the car for 4 years. Only driven the Merc and BMW so far and BMW wins hands down currently.

I'm after an Automatic desiel and have two older kids now so need a 4 door... Would be interested in anyones views of owning one of these cars or of others I should consider that I haven't so far....

Thanks

OK, so currently have a Merc 220 CLC at CO2 of about 180. Need to change the car now for a new one (hard times huh?). Test driving at the moment and I'm looking at CO2 of around 130 which means I can afford a 40k car roughly (i.e. same tax and PUC as the Merc). So, test driving the following:

Mercedes E250 Cdi BlueEFFICIENCY Sport Automatic

BMW 525D M Sport

Jaguar XF 2.2 Premium Luxury 190PS

Audi AUDI A5 SPTBK 5St 12 3.0D S-LINE MUL

Any comments on pros and cons. As it's a company car not bothered about depreciation but have to have the car for 4 years. Only driven the Merc and BMW so far and BMW wins hands down currently.

I'm after an Automatic desiel and have two older kids now so need a 4 door... Would be interested in anyones views of owning one of these cars or of others I should consider that I haven't so far....

c

Thanks

I have a 3 litre XF, so not quite the same as the 2.2, but I've heard good things about it. Really like mine. Goes like a rocket but stil gives 40+ to the gallon a long run -- much less economical on short trips though.

Only down sides are: big boot but small boot lid so difficult to get in any large objects. and poor rear view for parking ,so do get the parking camera and bleepers. Oh ,and as for all big heavy rear wheel drive cars , presumably including the BMW and the Merc, it is rubbish in the snow.

Doesn't bother me either way, but if it does you, I've noticed that the name Jaguar seems to have more cachet than Mercedes or BMW if you want to impress clients etc.

Only down sides are: big boot but small boot lid so difficult to get in any large objects. and poor rear view for parking ,so do get the parking camera and bleepers. Oh ,and as for all big heavy rear wheel drive cars , presumably including the BMW and the Merc, it is rubbish in the snow.

Thanks Ken - exactly the type of info I was looking for. Test drive the XF next weekend so will check out boot and view. As for the rear wheel drive, that's what I have on the Merc at the moment and during the snow last year I just had to make sure that Mrs TS was in the car when we went out. She's very good at pushing in the snow :)

The MD at my company has the Jaguar XF Diesel. Loves how it drives but it suffered from severe fuel starvation issues after he received it. The customer service to correct it was quite poor (promising to pick up car for repair and not following through for example) and ruined the experience for him. So be wary.

The MD at my company has the Jaguar XF Diesel. Loves how it drives but it suffered from severe fuel starvation issues after he received it. The customer service to correct it was quite poor (promising to pick up car for repair and not following through for example) and ruined the experience for him. So be wary.

Thanks for the warning - have also waiting nearly a month for Jaguar to get back to me to arrange a test drive so not that impressed with their service (if that's the way they treat potential new customers then where does that leave existing ones!).

I've had an A5 Sportback S-Line 2.0 TDi manual for 2 and a half years now. I do really like it, and it looks superb (I've got lava grey). Boot access is excellent and, whilst the boot isn't going to be as big as the other 3, it's very flexible. I've just had to have a new steering rack (under warranty) which was a surprise, but it's been very good apart from that. Having had 2 A6s, the A5 is a fair bit smaller, and is a very different car from the other 3 you've mentioned. Suspension is firm, and if I was doing a lot of driving I think it would start to wear on me a bit. I'm thinking of an A7 or A6 Saloon at the mo, but am tempted by a 5 series. I wouldn't consider the E Class as I'm not keen on them, and the XF wouldn't be for me either - the equivalent engined Audi and BMW are much lower on the CO2. I'd definitely have a look at an A6 too if I was you.

I'd definitely have a look at an A6 too if I was you.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the A6 as well and see what kind of monthyl cost that is as well. The A5 test drive is booked in as well and I'm interest in your comment about it wearing on you if you were doing a lot of miles... will bear that in mind. Thanks

Bit of a left field option, but if you arent bothered by the cachet of the name then a Peugeot 508 is a beautiful car to drive, especially long distance. I found it supremely comfortable, quick and good to drive - liked it better than a Lexus GS or Passat. Even the top of the line 200ps GT diesel with all the bells and whistles its only going to be around £30,000 so its competing in a sector lower than some of the cars you are looking at. That said, well worth test driving a GT imo, if only to give you another take on some of the others.

Bit of a left field option, but if you arent bothered by the cachet of the name then a Peugeot 508 is a beautiful car to drive, especially long distance. I found it supremely comfortable, quick and good to drive - liked it better than a Lexus GS or Passat. Even the top of the line 200ps GT diesel with all the bells and whistles its only going to be around £30,000 so its competing in a sector lower than some of the cars you are looking at. That said, well worth test driving a GT imo, if only to give you another take on some of the others.

Cheers for the feedback. Unfortunately I'm only allowed to test drive 3 cars (but have someone booked 4 :)). Also, we've just bought the wife a Peugeot 307 cc which is a lovely car so no issues with Peugeot :)

Thanks Ken - exactly the type of info I was looking for. Test drive the XF next weekend so will check out boot and view. As for the rear wheel drive, that's what I have on the Merc at the moment and during the snow last year I just had to make sure that Mrs TS was in the car when we went out. She's very good at pushing in the snow :)

The problem of course is that all the weight is at the front , but the drive wheels are at the back. So the best thing would be to put her in the boot!

I've had pretty good service from Jaguar by the way, and this is my second Jag.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the A6 as well and see what kind of monthyl cost that is as well. The A5 test drive is booked in as well and I'm interest in your comment about it wearing on you if you were doing a lot of miles... will bear that in mind. Thanks

Having said that, if the roads are good, the car's great. I've done a 300 mile round trip to South Wales this afternoon, with a 15 minute break at the other end, and felt great when I got out. The auto gearbox would make the car better too.

I'm on my third A6, this one a 3lt Quattro and that swings it for me if it's in your budget. I'm guessing the A5 3lt is 4WD also?

I echo Chin Strain's comments about not feeling like you've done a journey...it's quick, quiet, comfortable and surprisingly economical (not sure if your fuel is paid for) - long journeys see around 40mpg and I don't try particularly hard to do anything other than get the journey done without adding to my points total.

I have a 3 litre XF, so not quite the same as the 2.2, but I've heard good things about it. Really like mine. Goes like a rocket but stil gives 40+ to the gallon a long run -- much less economical on short trips though.

You weren't joking about the MPG on short trips! Done around 15 miles in the test car since it arrived this morning and got

You weren't joking about the MPG on short trips! Done around 15 miles in the test car since it arrived this morning and got

But no the other hand, I went to Manchester and back in the day at the weekend, 80 mph most of the way, and got exactly 40.0 mpg, and it was like sitting in a leather armchair for 7 hours. Also most diesels take a while to 'wear in' . You'll find most big diesels don't achieve good mpg until after a few thousand miles . They also tend to use a lot of old at first.

Mate of mine has just traded in his BMW 5 series for a 2.2l diesel XF and raves about the Jag.

Any decision yet Tractor?

Summary:

Merc 250D - too much of an old mans car for me

Jag XF - quite nice but a bit small for me and also it only did 30MPG average

A5 Sportback - very very quick, would lose my licence within a week :) I'm 6'4" so unfortunately there was little headroom

BMW 525d M Sport - perfect, huge and quick

So, just been to the BMW garage in Portsmouth (wrong time to visit as Eastern Road was packed at 14:00. Must be quite a few Derby fans :))

Was going to go for a blue one, but now decided on a Titantium Silver M sport with spoiler (very small one), Lumbar support, auto gearbox, black leather, VDC (suspension control), brushed aluminum trim as extras (does p*ss me off a bit that the extras add 10% to the car!)

Will order it tonight - woo hoo :)

Like these pics but silver not white ....

attachment.php?attachmentid=894&d=1335017904

attachment.php?attachmentid=893&d=1335017568

Edited by Tractor_Saint

Summary:

Merc 250D - too much of an old mans car for me

Jag XF - quite nice but a bit small for me and also it only did 30MPG average

A5 Sportback - very very quick, would lose my licence within a week :) I'm 6'4" so unfortunately there was little headroom

BMW 525d M Sport - perfect, huge and quick

So, just been to the BMW garage in Portsmouth (wrong time to visit as Eastern Road was packed at 14:00. Must be quite a few Derby fans :))

Was going to go for a blue one, but now decided on a Titantium Silver M sport with spoiler (very small one), Lumbar support, auto gearbox, black leather, VDC (suspension control), brushed aluminum trim as extras (does p*ss me off a bit that the extras add 10% to the car!)

Will order it tonight - woo hoo :)

Like these pics but silver not white ....

attachment.php?attachmentid=894&d=1335017904

attachment.php?attachmentid=893&d=1335017568

Good choice. I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I understand VDC is a must option on the 5 series. Interested in your comment on the A5 Sportback. I'm 6 ft 4 too, and don't have any issues in mine.

I'm starting to have a look around and have considered the 5 series, but am more tempted at the moment by either a new A6 S Line (not sure whether saloon or Avant) or a 3 month old A7 S-Line. Alternatively the other options are waiting for the facelifted Q5 later in the year, or a 5 series. It all depends on the deal!

Good choice. I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I understand VDC is a must option on the 5 series. Interested in your comment on the A5 Sportback. I'm 6 ft 4 too, and don't have any issues in mine.

Yeah, talked to a couple of the BMW sales folks and it was a 50/50 on VDC. Looking at reviews online though VDC is really recommended. As the car with auto and all the gubbins is coming to 43+k I'd much rather throw in another £980 for VDC than have the missus complain about the pot holes all the time!

What mpg are you geting from the A5? I only got about 30mpg on the A5 S-line 3l but the BMW did 45+mpg (and drove them just as hard)

As for the height in the drivers seat, must admit that I didn't notice it in the BMW at all as an issue, did in the A5 but also now realise that the Merc CLC that I've got has the same issue as the A5!!

Hey ho, car ordered, can't wait for it to arrive!

Yeah, talked to a couple of the BMW sales folks and it was a 50/50 on VDC. Looking at reviews online though VDC is really recommended. As the car with auto and all the gubbins is coming to 43+k I'd much rather throw in another £980 for VDC than have the missus complain about the pot holes all the time!

What mpg are you geting from the A5? I only got about 30mpg on the A5 S-line 3l but the BMW did 45+mpg (and drove them just as hard)

As for the height in the drivers seat, must admit that I didn't notice it in the BMW at all as an issue, did in the A5 but also now realise that the Merc CLC that I've got has the same issue as the A5!!

Hey ho, car ordered, can't wait for it to arrive!

Around town I get about 40mpg on average. On a run it's 50 mpg, but depends if I boot it or not. Mine's the 2 litre TDi 170 BHP though. To be honest it's not as economical as I think it should be.