I feel sorry for the youngsters

ladysaint

I believe you travel to home and away matches so these same players seemed to know how to play the game against Sheff Utd, Derby, Preston & Doncaster? Could it be that we didn't play well tonight and (as this is football) could quite easily rip apart Wolves and Reading? I think this is going to be a hard season for us fans but a real learning curve for the players. We may not rip up this league but i think we'll surprise a few.

I think the Lady's point is that, no matter how good the youngsters are, they are being totally mismanaged, no direction, no organisation, no structure, none in charge who has a clue.

Exactly what I meant, they are being mismanaged playing a different system every game with so many changes they jlook totally unorganised and you really cant blame them. I enjoyed the system he began the season with the first 4 or 5 games but we seemed to have lost our way since.

I believe you travel to home and away matches so these same players seemed to know how to play the game against Sheff Utd, Derby, Preston & Doncaster? Could it be that we didn't play well tonight and (as this is football) could quite easily rip apart Wolves and Reading? I think this is going to be a hard season for us fans but a real learning curve for the players. We may not rip up this league but i think we'll surprise a few.

The problem is in those games we won we actually had massive amounts of luck especially at Doncaster and Preston. The Sheff Utd game was a all out defence job, we were on the back foot the whole game really. The Derby game was a bit of a mix bag. I think if we played them now we would lose as at the time they had not won in like a year, it was the best time to play them.

I agree 100% with LadySaint though that it is hard not to feel bad for the kids out there. Majority of them this is their 1st games they have played competativly. They are learning every game they play but they could be learning so much more if the management helped them. They are like lambs to the slaughter.

I wish I could share your optimism, having witnessed tonights efforts, at home, live on Sky, against a fairly average Bristol team - I don't think we could rip our way out of a wet paper bag - let only the league leaders...!

However, as you rightly say, this is football - so I await in hope to be proved wrong.

How did they not know what they were doing? Did it look like the problem was they didn't know what positions or formation they are playing in?

Not from where I was sat, the problem was more with the form and performance of the players.

But that would mean that there is nothing systemically wrong with the coaching set up, and coming to terms with a bed result is impossible without seeking out a root and branch upheaval of something or other until the next game.

Exactly what I meant, they are being mismanaged playing a different system every game with so many changes they jlook totally unorganised and you really cant blame them. I enjoyed the system he began the season with the first 4 or 5 games but we seemed to have lost our way since.

Ever since Holmes got injured IMO, the other wingers in the squad are either not good enough (Thomson, Gobern) or playing in different positions (Skacel, Surman). At the start of the season every time Gillett or Schneiderlin got the ball they'd get their head up and ping a ball over to Holmes, we just don't have that outlet anymore and it's costing us dearly.

I'd play Skacel left wing and play Mills left back, we'd be a bit weaker in defence but it would at least give us something extra going forward. Playing one of our better players at left back while we **** about with youngster who aren't ready yet on the wing is ridiculous.

I hope Holmes comes back asap.

The problem is in those games we won we actually had massive amounts of luck especially at Doncaster and Preston. The Sheff Utd game was a all out defence job, we were on the back foot the whole game really. The Derby game was a bit of a mix bag. I think if we played them now we would lose as at the time they had not won in like a year, it was the best time to play them.

I agree 100% with LadySaint though that it is hard not to feel bad for the kids out there. Majority of them this is their 1st games they have played competativly. They are learning every game they play but they could be learning so much more if the management helped them. They are like lambs to the slaughter.

i agree with the later part of this, you would have thought by now thw lallana would have had some shooting practice, that ollie would have learned not to let the ball bounce every bloody time and that 75% of his training each week should be in the gym, not on the training field being the physically weekest CB i have ever seen. this is to highlight just a couple.

there has been a lot of talk about liking the way JP comes across and that he is a nice guy, and i am pleased to see that we have a manager who can effect the game through his substitutions, but that only allows him to change 3 of the 10 failing outfield players and he shows very little signs of being able to coach a player that is on the field or motivate anybody both before and during a match.

being close to the dugout i have never seen a manager spend so much time in the technical area, and say almost nothing, surely we should be charging him for a seat as he seems to watch the game more than he does effect the game!

totally agree i posted a very similar message on the post match thread.

we hand the front foot to the opposition in home games by playing 4-5-1 and by dragging every one back at corners, even midgets like Thompson, leave 2 up front and immediately they will leave 3 back , there were times yesterday when 21 players were in our half at their corners.

We have pace but by playing it wide in the CCC , THE big lumps that teams have at centre half just wait for the cross and clear it , with 4-4-2 we would have the ability to stretch these "puddings" whereas at the moment our 1 forward may beat one but not both.

Surman and Lallana showed yesterday an ability to run with the ball but they are starting so deep that they just run out of steam.

No matter how good these players are individually, there will always be performances like the Bristol game. Yesterday' s game was a prime example of why 'most' teams do not rely on youngsters.

What we saw yesterday was lots of energy, lots of determination, flashes of individual skill and some moments that 'almost' came off. With youngsters, it will always be hit and moss, this is why managers such as Arsen, shield them from the limelight, one week they are the next Pele, the next week they are the worst teenager ever to put on the shirt. Teenagers are inconsistent, inexperienced and lack 'guile'. Te reason Hanson suggested that Man U would never 'win anything with kids' is because nobody ever has, and it is unlikely anybody ever will again. Arsenal are trying but they are a long way off being World Beaters, they are just a team with a lot of potential and on their day, when they all play well, they can beat anyone, but they can also lose to anyone, even throw away a 2 goal lead in injury time. Concentration is not a teenagers greatest asset, we all know that, and teenagers that play football are no different, they WILL switch off at some point in 2 hours!

To sum up, teenagers may save us getting relegated, but we will be no better than 'inconsistent' all season.