Marussia F1 test driver Maria de Villota Crash

doubleonothing

Very very sad news. It is just being reported that Maria, involved in a crash yesterday has lost her right eye

John Booth, team principal of the Marussia F1 team, said of Maria de Villota:

"Maria emerged from theatre at Addenbrooke's Hospital this morning after a lengthy operation to address the serious head and facial injuries she received in the accident.

"We are grateful for the medical attention that Maria has been receiving... However it is with great sadness that I must report that, due to the injuries she sustained, Maria has lost her right eye.

"Maria's care and the wellbeing of her family remain our priority at this time."

Terrible news after such a freak accident.

Apparently the anti-stall kicked in on the car while she was slowing down, this proppeled her towards the back of a lorry. The tail lift platform was at visor height so the car nose passed underneath and she hit the lift face on.

Fingers crossed for her but it would seem her career is over.

I saw this yesterday, the good news is that she is apparently stable but it's horrific to have lost an eye in this accident. I just hope that's the last of the bad news and she hasn't suffered any lasting brain damage. Get well soon Maria.

Such a freak accident to happen. Leaving a loading ramp at that height really is just criminal though, a couple of inches lower and it would have taken her head clean off.

Such a freak accident to happen. Leaving a loading ramp at that height really is just criminal though, a couple of inches lower and it would have taken her head clean off.

It's totally tragic and I take your point but it's always very easy to be critical in hindsight. With freak accidents there are usually a combination of unforseen circumstances. The teams will do hundreds of tests like this per season and a car suddenly accellerating towards a lorry in an area reserved purely for stopping is not really something that they would ever expect.

Maria de Villota remains in a critical but stable condition in hospital after her crash whilst testing for the Marussia team on Tuesday.

The 32-year-old lost her right eye in the crash and was operated on through the night after suffering "severe head and facial injuries."

Her family issued a statement through the Marussia team and are trying to remain positive.

"Maria remains in a critical but stable condition here at Addenbrooke's Hospital," the statement read.

"While there is no further news than that at present, we have at least been able to take encouragement from the fact that Maria has remained stable throughout since the accident, particularly during the first night following such a lengthy surgical procedure as she experienced yesterday (Wednesday).

It's totally tragic and I take your point but it's always very easy to be critical in hindsight. With freak accidents there are usually a combination of unforseen circumstances. The teams will do hundreds of tests like this per season and a car suddenly accellerating towards a lorry in an area reserved purely for stopping is not really something that they would ever expect.

We're talking about an F1 car where one slip of the throttle pedal, a dodgy clutch, anti-stall fault etc. Can have you from standing to 40mph in the blink of an eye. The fact that the team do hundreds of test like this a season doesn't make it better, it only increases the risk. If there's a 1 in 1000 chance of something happening and you try it 1000 times, it's going to happen.

I'm not a health and safety mad, high-vis/hard hat brigade but to have what is basically a metal blade at head height in an area where an F1 car is moving under its own power is wrong.

Whilst I don't think anyone knows exactly what was where during the test session it does strike me as odd a lorry would be parked anywhere near where the F1 car was being tested

It was the lorry that brought the car to the track.

We're talking about an F1 car where one slip of the throttle pedal, a dodgy clutch, anti-stall fault etc. Can have you from standing to 40mph in the blink of an eye. The fact that the team do hundreds of test like this a season doesn't make it better, it only increases the risk. If there's a 1 in 1000 chance of something happening and you try it 1000 times, it's going to happen.

I'm not a health and safety mad, high-vis/hard hat brigade but to have what is basically a metal blade at head height in an area where an F1 car is moving under its own power is wrong.

That's not actually true.

Yeah I know it was, but why it was parked even remotely near where the car was being tested strikes me as odd.

Well. The worries act as mobile pit lane garages, there would be a wealth of tooling and spare parts in there that the team would want access to.

UPDATE FROM MARUSSIA

In the eight days since her accident, we are very happy to report that Maria is making remarkable progress - 11 July

It is now eight days since Maria De Villota’s accident at Duxford Airfield in her debut test for the Team.

Despite severe injuries, Maria’s recovery during that time has been remarkable.

Following two successful surgical procedures in the days following the accident, last Saturday the medical team at Addenbrooke’s Hospital began to gradually reduce the level of Maria’s sedation. By Sunday morning, Maria was awake and able to speak to her family, which provided a very important - albeit early - indication that there were positive signs for Maria’s recovery.

Since that time, Maria has been making small but significant steps. She was moved out of the Neurological Critical Care Unit on Monday and is no longer receiving sedation. Her family remain by her side and she is communicating freely with them and the medical team. Medical assessments are ongoing to monitor Maria’s improving condition.

We have provided this update with the consent and support of the De Villota family who, whilst keen to ensure Maria’s care remains the priority, are understanding and appreciative of the concern for her wellbeing.