Must Have Apps For An iphone?

View From The Top

TuneIn Radio - streaming radio

Tapatalk - this site ( and other participating sites ) in a phone-friendly format.

Kindle ( if you have a Kindle - great for late night reading without chucking a light on )

Netflix

Spotify

Definitely get AppShopper too. It tracks price drops, allows you to set up a wish list and informs you whenever the price drops.

TuneIn Radio - streaming radio

Tapatalk - this site ( and other participating sites ) in a phone-friendly format.

Kindle ( if you have a Kindle - great for late night reading without chucking a light on )

Netflix

Spotify

Definitely get AppShopper too. It tracks price drops, allows you to set up a wish list and informs you whenever the price drops.

Is there any sort of app killer to close those apps still running in the background??

Had task killer on droid.

Find iPhone . An essential.

Currency . Converts any sum to a basket of currencies fast.

Posted (tracks parcels)

Listen to tax man ( income tax NI calculator)

Tv guide

QRreader, reads QR codes on posters and takes you to web page.

Independent , newspaper app downloads stories when online and can be read later when off line ( great when abroad)

Stannp, creates postcards from your photos and posts them home for 99p from the UK. It picks up addresses from your address book.

Sony Corperation Media Remote, controls my smart TV. It's still developing but controls the TV functions. Hopefully it will be the keyboard for the web browser and YouTube tv App soon. Do NOT let your neighbour have your wifi code. They could control your TV via your wifi!

Is there any sort of app killer to close those apps still running in the background??

Had task killer on droid.

VFFT - had a bit of a fruitless search ( but found an excellent free task manager - Wunderlist).

No luck so far. I've always done things the hard way. Just double-tap your central button, hold one of the icons in the tray to trigger kill task mode, and kill away (Mr McManus).

I haven't used the iPhone version, but IF you're looking for a Twitter client that makes Twitter more usable for people that don't want to spend all day on there, take a look at Slices.

I'm not a prolific Twitterer but do like to follow a bunch of people and dip in and out from time to time. One of the frustrations I have is that once you've followed a certain number of Tweeters, it soon becomes difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff in your timeline.

Slices allows you to slice your Twitter timeline into different categories or 'slices'. So if you've got all the time in the world you can look at your entire timeline or if you just want to see Sport, or just Football or just Saints you can select only those tweets from Twitter users in those slices.

For example, following the breaking story on Kevin Pietersen recently would have been a nightmare if I hadn't had a 'Cricket' slice.

It's a simple concept but I've never seen it done properly before.

So basically, Slices just renames the groups that Twitter and every other Twitter client calls 'Lists' to 'Slices'.

I've used dozens of Twitter clients over the years. TweetBot for iPhone is just about as good as any Twitter client could be.

So basically, Slices just renames the groups that Twitter and every other Twitter client calls 'Lists' to 'Slices'.

I've used dozens of Twitter clients over the years.

The effect is the same as Lists, and to be honest if you use multiple platforms/clients then lists might be a better way to go because Twitter maintains your lists whereas slices are specific to, well, Slices.

But most Twitter clients I've used allow you to create and view lists almost as an after-thought - tucked a few gestures or clicks away from the main screens. Slices are central to the design of the way the app works. It makes creating, updating and switching between the slices incredibly easy and intuitive. It's a subtle but very important difference.

TweetBot for iPhone is just about as good as any Twitter client could be.

I've not used TweetBot for iPhone Essruu so perhaps it makes lists so accessible that Slices is redundant on iPhone. But hey, it's good to see you're open-minded about trying new things.

Well I'm on my iPad now, so here's a screenshot of TweetBot, to show that it is indeed a simple one tap on the top bar to switch from your main timeline to any of your (cross-platform and cross-client) Lists. The layout, design and functions are the same on the iPhone.

5d6148ce-f1c8-89ba.jpg

I wasn't being intentionally facetious; I just read your description of Slices as pretty much describing what Twitter Lists do, but limited to being useable only in Slices and not on Twitter and otherTwitter Clients, unlike proper Lists. I just don't see the point.

Well I'm on my iPad now, so here's a screenshot of TweetBot, to show that it is indeed a simple one tap on the top bar to switch from your main timeline to any of your (cross-platform and cross-client) Lists. The layout, design and functions are the same on the iPhone.

5d6148ce-f1c8-89ba.jpg

I wasn't being intentionally facetious; I just read your description of Slices as pretty much describing what Twitter Lists do, but limited to being useable only in Slices and not on Twitter and otherTwitter Clients, unlike proper Lists. I just don't see the point.

I wasn't being intentionally facetious either, but I was being sarcastic about your openness to other ideas - sorry about that.

I do see your point about TweetBot. It does look like a nicely designed app - especially if it has the same UI on the smaller screen of a phone. Giving you a choice on the main timeline screen to quickly filter it with one click is exactly the effect that Slices provides.

I guess posting on a thread about the iPhone and recommending an App based on my experience of Android probably wasn't the smartest move in the world. But hey, I've learned something. I was just so impressed with the UI on Slices.

It'd be interesting to hear what other iPhone users think of Slices - if anyone can be arsed to download and run it.

Funnily enough, I've just moved from my iPhone 4 back to an Android phone, for I was getting fed up with the way Apple dictates the way things should be, and iTunes.

Surprised no-one has mentioned iFooty as a must have iPhone app, though it's similar to the Sky Sports Score centre thing, as a freebie, it's pretty good.