Wolves centre back

L1Minus10

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

I thought he was pants for the under 21s, his mistake gave Wales a goal in the match in Cardiff and he was continually being wrong footed. Amazing what being on Chelsea's books can do for your international chances.

So why is he selected and not Cork?
Wolves are top of the CCC at the moment and therefore he must be doing something right. Personally I agree with an earlier poster as he looked ropey against Wales. However I'm not sure if he was the regular CB in all the other England U21 games where England only conceded one goal (IIRC). If he was then he's there on merit.

Mancienne is quality.

There are plenty of other defenders Capello could have called up... players like Mathew Upson, Anton Ferdinand etc, but lets be honest... they are never going to be England regulars and aren't international quality.

I think Capello has made a smart move in calling up Mancienne, as he is young and has bags of potential (he's not on Chelsea's books for nothing). Giving him the experience of being in the squad will only be good for his future and I guarantee that if England nurture and give him chances here and there over the next two years, he'll be better than really average defenders like Anton Ferdinand, Mathew Upson etc.

Too many times in the past we've opted for including players in the squad that will never have a chance of being an England XI regular, so let's see if we can develop someone like Mancienne in starting XI player (in a few years) rather than not having him and selecting average defenders like Upson/Ferdinand (sorry to keep using the same example, but It fits well IMO)

So in short, well done Capello for having the balls to call up Mancienne, instead of an average alternative who will bench warm (I know Mancienne will most likely sit on the bench, but the experience will be more beneficial to him, than say Upson).

Wolves are top of the CCC at the moment and therefore he must be doing something right. Personally I agree with an earlier poster as he looked ropey against Wales. However I'm not sure if he was the regular CB in all the other England U21 games where England only conceded one goal (IIRC). If he was then he's there on merit.

Saturday was only his third game for Wolves though!!