Galaxy S3

Thedelldays

My plans are a lot less low-tech than that, mate!

My stereo is geared toward Apple stuff. Droid phone is connected via 3.5mm aux input. I've bought a simple holder for it, and plan on just using the phone's screen as the stereo controls.

Already ordered the 64Gb card. Does that just show up on the file system when you plug the phone in via USB?

yep...as long as you are not plugging it into the latest Mac OS

connecting your phone directly, that is

yep...as long as you are not plugging it into the latest Mac OS

connecting your phone directly, that is

That is good to know. It basically means I can plug the device into most hardware and use it as a USB drive.

Does MacOS really not pick it up?

That is good to know. It basically means I can plug the device into most hardware and use it as a USB drive.

Does MacOS really not pick it up?

not with the latest ICS software...dunno if that has changed with jelly bean..you would have to plug the SD Card into your mac via the card reader....there is ATF (android file transfer) but that never worked.......

no issues on a windows machine though

not with the latest ICS software...dunno if that has changed with jelly bean..you would have to plug the SD Card into your mac via the card reader....there is ATF (android file transfer) but that never worked.......

no issues on a windows machine though

I've done a bit of background on this. USB mass storage mode was disabled as part of ICS. The replacement protocol is MTP, designed by Microsoft, implemented by people like Creative, but not on Mac OS.

That is a shame. MTP not as good as USB storage mode IMO. Google have sh4t on the Mac crowd a bit here.

I've done a bit of background on this. USB mass storage mode was disabled as part of ICS. The replacement protocol is MTP, designed by Microsoft, implemented by people like Creative, but not on Mac OS.

That is a shame. MTP not as good as USB storage mode IMO. Google have sh4t on the Mac crowd a bit here.

You can use airdroid for ota file transfers.

• 3 weeks later...

I have rooted my S3 and have been experimenting with various custom ROMs.

So far I have tried out CyanogenMod 10 (nightlies), WannamLite, Omega and Resurrection Remix.

Both WannamLite and Omega are pretty similar to stock Samsung but with bloatware removed.

CM10 and RR are excellent. The latter is probably my favourite so far, it is so ridiculously customisable.

Has anyone got any recommendations for custom ROMs?

So far I have tried out CyanogenMod 10 (nightlies), WannamLite, Omega and Resurrection Remix.

Both WannamLite and Omega are pretty similar to stock Samsung but with bloatware removed.

CM10 and RR are excellent. The latter is probably my favourite so far, it is so ridiculously customisable.

Maybe it's an age thing, but I've read this several times and it may as well be in a different language!

My son's new S3 has just gone back for repair after 20 days. Every time you powered it off it would restart itself. Factory resets did nothing. We had to take the battery out for 26 seconds or more to make it stay off, any less and it would restart again when the battery was re-inserted.
that is what mine did...just kept going in a reset loop.....got rid and got an Iphone 5 instead

• 3 weeks later...

How do Root the phone just bought one and would like to get rid of half the **** thats on it?

I've heard that Sky Go doesn't work if you don't have a stock Android. Is this true?

Just got my new S3 on Ebay and had it unlocked from Orange by a phone shop.

They didn't tell me that it would be rooted at the same time and I found that I couldn't use Sky Go. Just get the message Sky Go does not work on a rooted phone.

Downloaded and updated with the latest stock S3 ROM and hey presto everything works fine.

How do Root the phone just bought one and would like to get rid of half the **** thats on it?

Rooting the phone will not remove bloatware. Rooting gives you enhanced superuser access to the phone, like administrator rights on a PC.

Once your phone is rooted you can do loads of cool stuff like remove bloatware, remove ads, install root apps from Play Store, install custom operating systems (ROMs) etc.

Here is a good place to start: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/how-to-root-the-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-xda-developer-tv/

Remember, your S3 will be the International version, not Verizon, AT&T etc.

If you are interested in installing a custom ROM then have a look at this. http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-roms/how-to-install-custom-rom-on-rooted-galaxy-s3/

Any questions, give me a shout.

Just got my new S3 on Ebay and had it unlocked from Orange by a phone shop.

They didn't tell me that it would be rooted at the same time and I found that I couldn't use Sky Go. Just get the message Sky Go does not work on a rooted phone.

Downloaded and updated with the latest stock S3 ROM and hey presto everything works fine.

The same issue arises with the Barclays banking app, which will not work with a rooted phone.

However, ExTweaks, which is bundled with the Siyah kernel (which in turn is bundled with the Resurrection Remix ROM) gives you the ability to remove and reinstall all root files (su and superuser apk files). It will even automatically re-root when your phone reboots, thus neatly sidestepping the issue.

Where there's a will.......

I've now unrooted my phone and installed the stock Samsung 4.1.2 upgrade.

I'm really impressed. The multi window function is excellent and really useful.

Although the apps that are compatible are currently limited to the obvious ones such as Maps, Gmail, Chrome, YouTube, Video Player etc, I'm sure other apps will become compatible in time.

I shall be sticking with this ROM for the time being.