Galaxy S3

Thedelldays

Seriously thinking about getting one.

anyone have one and what are they like...had a quick play on my mates it is blows my iPhone 4 away really....so much better

I have no doubt that the iPhone 5 will be very expensive and really bored with it now

thinking about selling my iPhone 4 and getting a sim free galaxy (probably a new one from ebay unless anyone knows cheap places)

basically, so I can keep my GiffGaff sim

I've had mine for about a month now.

Stunning handset, the camera is phenominal, the apps available on Android are so wide reaching that you will almost certainly never need to buy anything. Cannot recommend it enough, the only flaw is the devices build quality. It's by no means shabby but a case is essentially for it.

I would advise against selling the iPhone 4, you will no doubt have apps that you have paid for on it. Once the sim card is out it can still function as an iPod touch. I still use my old iPhone 4 for Mapmyrun, the gps still functions even though the sim card is redundant.

I've had mine for about a month now.

Stunning handset, the camera is phenominal, the apps available on Android are so wide reaching that you will almost certainly never need to buy anything. Cannot recommend it enough, the only flaw is the devices build quality. It's by no means shabby but a case is essentially for it.

I would advise against selling the iPhone 4, you will no doubt have apps that you have paid for on it. Once the sim card is out it can still function as an iPod touch. I still use my old iPhone 4 for Mapmyrun, the gps still functions even though the sim card is redundant.

good point....I could only get a sim free S3 if I sell my iPhone 4....have been offered £170 for it...which IMO is a lot for a phone over 2 years old

to do I hold off a month for the iPhone 5?

going off the snippets, the main improvement with the iPhone 5 compared to the s3 will be more to do with airplay, cloud etc..which I'm not interested in

Edited by Thedelldays

I changed from iPhone 4 to Galaxy S3 about a month ago. The only apps that I can't get for it are Bejeweled Blitz and iFooty otherwise the Android marketplace is now on a par with iTunes. I no longer have to import music folders into iTunes and sync the phone, I just copy the album.

It's expandable too. For an extra tenner my 16gb phone now has 32gb and all my music for the car is on it

Battery life is an issue and I agree that a case is essential, but otherwise I'm very happy that I made the change away from Apple

What do you mean the only improvement of the iPhone 5 over the iPhone 4 is AirPlay? That is possibly the most ill-informed (bordering on retarded) statement I have ever heard against an iPhone release.

Apparently your reading and comprehension skills are possibly the most ill-informed (bordering on retarded) I have ever seen. Try reading the post you're responding to again.

I love a bit of rabid foamy mouthed techno fanboyism. iPhone v Android/Xbox v PS3/PC v Mac make Israelis v Palestinians look like a 'minor spat'.

Sure, there are 'people' who 'realise' Android is the way forward: There are those who can't quite afford an iPhone so pretend Android is miles better, then those that don't really know what a smartphone is, let alone what Apple or Android means or what the differences are, but who wanted a new phone and went to Phones 4 U for 'advice'.

Your argument of 'popularity = best' is stupid... but maybe you think Fords are better than Maseratis too.

Your argument of 'popularity = best' is stupid...

Just because your favourite's losing. ;)

Bless you fanboys.

Please define a Smartphone for me too. I'm interested in hearing your response.

I dearly hope Essruu has become a fanboy parody intentionally.

Sure, there are 'people' who 'realise' Android is the way forward: There are those who can't quite afford an iPhone so pretend Android is miles better, then those that don't really know what a smartphone is, let alone what Apple or Android means or what the differences are, but who wanted a new phone and went to Phones 4 U for 'advice'.

Your argument of 'popularity = best' is stupid... but maybe you think Fords are better than Maseratis too.

I can afford whatever phone I choose, I have a Galaxy Note. Perhaps people should go to the Apple Store for some advice from the Geniuses? Funny label to give to a person with a trendy haircut and the mental capacity of a goat.

You can knock Apple all you like. The fact is, all of you Galaxy / Note / Whatever Other Device owners should be thanking Apple for changing the world into a place where every other leading handset maker is just copying them.

5ec42a0f-bbba-6a5f.jpg

Before & Since iPhone.

You can knock Apple all you like. The fact is, all of you Galaxy / Note / Whatever Other Device owners should be thanking Apple for changing the world into a place where every other leading handset maker is just copying them.

Before & Since iPhone.

I loved my iPhone and I love my Samsung, only drawbacks with Apple is they don't freely allow you to choose your own ringtone, you have to fart about making one and copying into iTunes etc, and they don't allow the use of Flash. The Samsung gives me more freedom but I would go back to an Iphone without a problem. Android still doesn't have Bejewelled Blitz which sucks after the length of time it's been out, and supposedly "under development" but that's a minor gripe.

Both systems have good and bad points

5ec42a0f-bbba-6a5f.jpg

Before & Since iPhone.

Well, for a start the website where you got that pic from seems to have a spelling mistake in the url?

And personally, I'd like to thank LG and Prada...

200px-LG_KE850_Prada_Hauptmen%C3%BC.jpg

Now I will sign off this thread by saying that the iPhone is an amazing device but I just cannot abide Apples walled garden approach. The difficulty is when you want to do something with your device that Apple doesn't want you to do. For example you cannot copy your phone contacts to your sim unless your iPhone is jailbroken. Now over the years I am sure most of us have upgraded to a new phone at some stage and used this basic function to copy our numbers over to the new phone, but Apple want you to use iTunes, so, you have to install that bloated piece of **** on your PC and faff about when with all other phones, its about three clicks.

Well, for a start the website where you got that pic from seems to have a spelling mistake in the url? And personally, I'd like to thank LG and Prada...200px-LG_KE850_Prada_Hauptmen%C3%BC.jpg
Indeed, an excellent handset. An ex of mine had one and it was quite ahead of it's time.Apple are superb at taking a concept and refining it. (The MP3 player, the tablet computer, indeed; the mobile phone) But they never truly innovate, simply polish. Then they unleash their marketting bods and charge a premium for their creations. All credit to them for a wonderful business strategy.As devices though, they are not the be all and end all. There are excellent alternatives that will not leave you out of pocket to the same degree, The Galaxy S3 is one such device.

Now I will sign off this thread by saying that the iPhone is an amazing device but I just cannot abide Apples walled garden approach. The difficulty is when you want to do something with your device that Apple doesn't want you to do. For example you cannot copy your phone contacts to your sim unless your iPhone is jailbroken. Now over the years I am sure most of us have upgraded to a new phone at some stage and used this basic function to copy our numbers over to the new phone, but Apple want you to use iTunes, so, you have to install that bloated piece of **** on your PC and faff about when with all other phones, its about three clicks.

Why would you want to copy your contacts to a sim card, when you get free iCloud storage which syncs all contacts, plus bookmarks, calendars etc. with your Contacts / iCal / Outlook etc on your pc or Mac? Lose your iPhone with the SIM inside, or bought a new device... get your replacement and sync it with your iCloud to recover everything. Lose any device which has the contacts on the phone and the SIM card, but it isn't automatically backed up... you lose everything..

You no longer need to install iTunes to activate or back up an iOS device running the latest firmware. You activate the device on first start up and iCloud does the syncing if you want your info synced.

Both of your arguments are wrong/flawed.

Why would you want to copy your contacts to a sim card, when you get free iCloud storage which syncs all contacts, plus bookmarks, calendars etc. with your Contacts / iCal / Outlook etc on your pc or Mac? Lose your iPhone with the SIM inside, or bought a new device... get your replacement and sync it with your iCloud to recover everything. Lose any device which has the contacts on the phone and the SIM card, but it isn't automatically backed up... you lose everything..

You no longer need to install iTunes to activate or back up an iOS device running the latest firmware. You activate the device on first start up and iCloud does the syncing if you want your info synced.

Both of your arguments are wrong/flawed.

so when my S3 arrives....I don't have to re input all the contacts 1x1

so when my S3 arrives....I don't have to re input all the contacts 1x1

Assuming you've actually used your iPhone and its iCloud syncing capabilities properly, your contacts and numbers will be in your Contacts / Outlook program. Surely you all know how to sync your contacts back to your super dooper Android handsets using the super dooper software per-installed? No?

Assuming you've actually used your iPhone and its iCloud syncing capabilities properly, your contacts and numbers will be in your Contacts / Outlook program. Surely you all know how to sync your contacts back to your super dooper Android handsets using the super dooper software per-installed? No?

nope, don't know what iCloud is really.

I absolutely love they way people decide that Handset X is way better than Handset Y when they don't even understand or use one of the main benefits of Handset Y. Handset X has a slightly bigger screen and is cheaper though, so it must be better!!!

Seriously DD, if I recall correctly you currently have an iPhone, an iPad and a MacBook don't you? If you actually used the automatic syncing of iCloud correctly then you'd get better value from all of them. At the moment you're using each as standalone, not connected in any way devices. That's madness.

I have an iPhone, iPad and MacBook also. If I add a contact into my iPhone, it automatically (within seconds when connected to the Internet) updates the contact on my iPad and MacBook. If I send an iMessage to someone on my iPad, I can continue that conversation later on my MacBook or iPhone because it syncs. If I add a bookmark in Safari on any device, it updates the others. This syncing applies to Calendar entries, Contacts, Bookmarks, iMessage and more.

Have a serious think about what you're doing and try using your devices to their full capabilities before you jump ship. However, I guess if you don't understand how good iOS with iCloud is and you're happy not to use all of your devices to their full extent, and want to have standalone devices with different contacts, events, bookmarks, messages, mail etc. here, there and everywhere, then go for it.

S3 ordered off Ebay. Brand new for £375

selling the iPhone 4 for £165

good deal IMO

Oops, I've just noticed this message from yesterday.

I hope you love your Galaxy DD. When it arrives, you can wax lyrical about how great it is and how it this just released model blows your iPhone 4 (a model that is over 2yrs old) out of the water.

Do bear in mind, though, that you din't even understand how to use the iPhone / iOS / iCloud to anything near its full potential (the automatic iOS syncing and AirPlay alone are a reason I could never even consider an Android device and) the handset you will be comparing it to has been superceded once by the iPhone 4S and soon to be by the iPhone 5 too.

Personally, I think that anyone like you or I who owns an iPhone, and iPad and a MacBook is a complete idiot to ditch the iPhone for an Android device... unless, like you, they are using them as unconnected devices anyway. You can be safe in the knowledge that you don't know or understand exactly what you were and will be missing. As they say: Ignorance Is Bliss.

and want to have standalone devices with different contacts, events, bookmarks, messages, mail etc. here, there and everywhere, then go for it.

Simple, just use chrome (which is available on far more platforms than safari), that your bookmarks sorted. Then use google mail and calender, again available on far more platforms for events, contacts and mail.

5ec42a0f-bbba-6a5f.jpg

Before & Since iPhone.

That will be the apple who are suing Samsung for copying the look and feel of the iphone on a phone that Samsung released before the iphone?

samsung-pre-iphone-designs-640x418.png

Edited by pedg

Simple, just use chrome (which is available on far more platforms than safari), that your bookmarks sorted. Then use google mail and calender, again available on far more platforms for events, contacts and mail.

... and people moan about Apple 'tying them in' to their services and software!! Fine, go sell your soul to Google... Oh, you mean you have to use Gmail and are limited to what type of mail accounts and how many you can sync with?

The question is: why would someone who has already bought into the Apple ecosystem and has all the connectivity, automatic syncing and cross-device software, go and ditch an iPhone for an Android handset and then have fragmented connectivity and make the cross-device functionality partially redundant? Then again, if Delldays didn't know how to use iCloud or what it even did: I doubt he's going to bother, understand or know where to start with running a second or poor alternative cross-device syncing feature.

Maybe I overestimated Delldays and Android buyers.

The question is: why would someone who has already bought into the Apple ecosystem and has all the connectivity, automatic syncing and cross-device software, go and ditch an iPhone for an Android handset and then have fragmented connectivity and make the cross-device functionality partially redundant?

Because, shock horror, they prefer the other phone and consider having a phone they like outweighs the loss of interconnectedness that they obviously did without anyway!? Cross device syncing is nice but its not really that important to a lot of people.

Edited by pedg

That will be the apple who are suing Samsung for copying the look and feel of the iphone on a phone that Samsung released before the iphone?

samsung-pre-iphone-designs-640x418.png

The jury verdict is being read right now in the court case as I type this. Samsung are currently being torn a new one!

And its also a better phone :)

What? You mean a newly released Samsung model is, according to some people, a little bit better than his 2+yr old iPhone 4 model? Do you mean in hardware, build quality, operating system or usability terms?

Regardless of your answer, maybe once the new iPhone is announced we should compare it to the first release (2010) Galaxy S model too? Somehow I think the differences were be markedly different to what Delldays is comparing right now (even if we disregard the fact that he may not know how to properly use either model!)

Say something critical about Apple? Go on, surely you cannot be pleased with the service you get in the Apple Store, or where the water damage indicator is situated in an iPhone 4? I suggest this as it appears you are unable to accept any criticism of Apple at all and seem to want to deep throat the corpse of Steve Jobs. I have stated its an amazing device, I have tried one, used the Mrs one, have you ever tried another device or are you entirely blinkered? The Galaxy s2, which is older than the iPhone 4s, is considered by technology experts (tech radar, bit tech, Engadget etc) to be the better device, are these professionals all wrong?

Say something critical about Apple? Go on, surely you cannot be pleased with the service you get in the Apple Store, or where the water damage indicator is situated in an iPhone 4? I suggest this as it appears you are unable to accept any criticism of Apple at all and seem to want to deep throat the corpse of Steve Jobs. I have stated its an amazing device, I have tried one, used the Mrs one, have you ever tried another device or are you entirely blinkered? The Galaxy s2, which is older than the iPhone 4s, is considered by technology experts (tech radar, bit tech, Engadget etc) to be the better device, are these professionals all wrong?

Agree the s2 is better and s3 is something else.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2