Galaxy S3

Thedelldays

Android has games too. iOS has got a better range though. I can play all of them. Isn't that magnificent? ;)

Besides, anyone who is serious about playing games right now is doing so on a PC. It's about more than sliding your finger, y'see.

Fk sake Delldays. How big are your hands? I'm roughly the size of a hobbit and I manage!

I like to be able to hold and use a phone completely with one hand. Ie. my thumb doing all the pressing.

I can do this with an iPhone 5. I could not with an S3

Plus the S3 I had kept randomly resetting itself. Luckily. Phones 4 u gave me £250 for it with out seeing of it worked properly. And had an offer on for a £64gb iPhone 5 for £100 discount.

The iPhone5 is a fantastic machine, TDD - just as with a lot of Apple stuff, difficult to justify on price. Sounds like you got yourself a good deal on that, and as a previous owner of an iPhone, I can tell you that you'll be happy with that phone until you upgrade.

Yes, that's right. I don't even have the iPhone4 anymore. Juvenile unit #2's relentless campaign of guilt trip logic and eyelid fluttering was predictably effective. The Apple device is now hers.

That puts me in the position of being a one brand phone owner. Now, if I were to follow the example of Essruu, I'd be rolling up on the iPhone5 thread about now trying to make people feel bad about their phone upgrades.

Indeed, if this were 1986, I might even be behaving like Essruu. The amount of crap I spouted about the relative merits of the C64 over the Spectrum was legendary. Might even have gotten into a few scraps over it, but then, I was eleven at the time.

As someone who works in tech, I'm genuinely interested in everything that's going on. There are a number of competing platforms out there and that is a fantastic thing. I do not get why people spend their time rubbishing one tech over another when all of it was confined to science fiction 30 years ago.

Seriously Essruu, take that brushed aluminium stick out your arse.

offered upgrade on my crap phone- to S2 - for my use I can't justify the extra for S3. Use for photos, email, bit of browsing, diary, task management for work..

any views on S2?

just a poor version of the s3...but if you only really use for phone for the extras now and then...would do the job you want I guess

offered upgrade on my crap phone- to S2 - for my use I can't justify the extra for S3. Use for photos, email, bit of browsing, diary, task management for work..

any views on S2?

I've got S3-envy because I 'only' have an S2 NickG.

The S2 is excellent but looking a bit dated now. I can wholeheartedly recommend it for each of the things you say you need it for.

And as I'm a big bloke and also a grown-up, I can use the phone with one hand.

If you're not an extra from Life's too Short, and you haven't got Jeremy Beadle syndrome, then you'll be fine with the screen size.

The only problem with getting an S2 now is that you're likely to see two new revisions of top-of-the-range Samsung phones over the next two years (assuming you'd be tied into it for a couple of years),

If you think in two years time you'll still able to suppress your S5-envy, then you won't regret getting an S2.

And the upside is that you should be able to get a good deal on the S2.

For anyone wanting an android phone that is not as large as the S3 and prefers to buy sim free rather than on a contract the new Google Nexus 4 phone:

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb&feature=device-featured

looks good. £239 8Gb, £279 16Gb. Latest android, NFC, Wireless charging. Plus being unadulterated android likely to be upgradable to latest version for a couple of years at least.

Well, I've had the S3 for a couple of days now. I have Android versions of most of the apps I had on iOS. The one notable exception would be iTunes; I've gone for DoubleTwist as my media player.

I'll also be looking at the SD card in the next couple of days and some sort of mount for the car. Now that I've given the iPhone to the youngest, I'm down on one in-car entertainment system, so I'm going to mount the phone on the dash and keep the screen on, just use the whole thing as a dashboard control.

Widgets make more sense on a phone than anywhere else I've ever seen them. On desktop PCs, etc; widgets are no more than a nice bit of eyecandy shoved into the corner of a screen. On a phone, it opens up the whole "design your own experience" thing.

I've got TuneIn Radio, Spotify and doubleTwist as widgets on one page, allowing me to control everything in one place. I know that's more Droid itself than the S3, but it's cool nonetheless. Apple are missing a trick by not copying them.

I had convinced myself to save a few pennies and go for the S2..... still tempted by S3. Think only two options looking at for the moment (although the note and note 2 look good!).

Best deal is if I wait for 2nd half of December if stay with Tmobile, or February if start afresh. Guess a lot of deals can change in few weeks.

sorted! Just seen Nexus 4!

Instead of S2 for £26 per month, Nexus 4, £239 plus SIM only deal, e.g. three for £6.90 per month

S2 over two years =£624

Nexus 4 over two years =£404

save £220 over two years and get phone with better spec than S3 or iphone 5!!

Too good to be true...am I missing something?

Instead of S2 for £26 per month, Nexus 4, £239 plus SIM only deal, e.g. three for £6.90 per month

S2 over two years =£624

Well my s3 was 330 so not a load more tbf and I got a 32gb card with it.

S2 over two years =£624

NickG, I think it looks like a cracking phone for the money (pap's caveat about the sd card aside).

Decided definately going for Nexus 4.

Trading in wildfire for £25 with o2.

Three sim only deal £6.90 per month, but £41.67 cash back from Quidco takes it to £3.40 per month.

T mobile, close package for - what appear to me worse phones, S3 and iphone5 - about £30 per month.

Save £300 per year!

Just deciding whether 8gb would do the job or would need 16gb. Lowered bit rate of music and now only using 2gb on current phone.

Decided definately going for Nexus 4.

Trading in wildfire for £25 with o2.

Three sim only deal £6.90 per month, but £41.67 cash back from Quidco takes it to £3.40 per month.

T mobile, close package for - what appear to me worse phones, S3 and iphone5 - about £30 per month.

Save £300 per year!

Just deciding whether 8gb would do the job or would need 16gb. Lowered bit rate of music and now only using 2gb on current phone.

what do you get with the Three sim only?

Virgin do 150mins, unlimited texts 500gb data for £7 month existing customers.

S2 over two years =£624

he Nexus 4 looks good for the money but "better spec than the iPhone 5" is somewhat erroneous. Most people know by now that a phone with a quad core processor isn't instantly 'better' than one with a dual core. The things you have to bear in mind with the Nexus is the limited support in the event of a fault, the expected cheap / flimsy plastic design and the limited storage capacity.

he Nexus 4 looks good for the money but "better spec than the iPhone 5" is somewhat erroneous. Most people know by now that a phone with a quad core processor isn't instantly 'better' than one with a dual core. The things you have to bear in mind with the Nexus is the limited support in the event of a fault, the expected cheap / flimsy plastic design and the limited storage capacity.

Id be interested to know how many faults are caused by cheap plastic, especially as every phone I have ever owned goes straight in a case.

This will be the nexus 4 with gorilla glass 2 front and back?

As opposed to Apple's policy of 'our products do not go wrong,' the not at all scratch resistant aluminium of the iPhone 5 and the lack of SD card support in all Apple mobile devices? Nothing is perfect regardless of how good the marketing may make it seem.

At the price offered, the Nexus 4 is an utter steal.

This will be the nexus 4 with gorilla glass 2 front and back?

Don't fall for the hype. A £239 phone is going to scratch; hell, even the iPhone scratches. It's common knowledge that Samsung, HTC and other Android handsets are typically made of less premium materials than Apple would use.

As opposed to Apple's policy of 'our products do not go wrong,' the not at all scratch resistant aluminium of the iPhone 5 and the lack of SD card support in all Apple mobile devices? Nothing is perfect regardless of how good the marketing may make it seem.

At the price offered, the Nexus 4 is an utter steal.

Apple's support is obviously going to be superior to what Google can offer via their Play website; you go into a store and they mend it for you. All iPhones are made of more premium materials than cheaper Android handsets; whether or not people care about that is up to them. iPhones offer storage up to 64gb, so there's no need for additional storage. A handset limited to 16gb is a different proposition.

I might buy one, but it's odd that people like you are getting so 'fanboy' about them; particularly as it's the sort of behaviour you knock Essru for week in week out.

Don't fall for the hype. A £239 phone is going to scratch; hell, even the iPhone scratches. It's common knowledge that Samsung, HTC and other Android handsets are typically made of less premium materials than Apple would use.

What you appear to be deliberately avoiding is the fact that the nexus probably cost as much to make as an iphone 5 but that google are selling it at a much lower markup, if any, compared to the £300 on an iphone (Estimate of cost of making an iphone 5: $168 http://mashable.com/2012/09/14/iphone-5s-material-costs-168/). Don't automatically assume that because you are paying apple a premium price for an iphone that it is made better than cheaper phones.

Edited by pedg

What you appear to be deliberately avoiding is the fact that the nexus probably cost as much to make as an iphone 5 but that google are selling it at a much lower markup, if any, compared to the £300 on an iphone (Estimate of cost of making an iphone 5: $168 http://mashable.com/2012/09/14/iphone-5s-material-costs-168/). Don't automatically assume that because you are paying apple a premium price for an iphone that it is made better than cheaper phones.

Nobody has suggested anything has been "made better"; the initial comment was about the sort of materials that will be used for the Nexus's case. I've know idea why you're all so keen to discuss the bloody iPhone either. The Nexus is a £239 quid phone at the end of the day, and if you think it's going to 'feel expensive' you've got another thing coming. It will feel cheap, because it is cheap. That won't detract from the performance, but Google's main tactic is that they want to make their products as freely available as possible, and hence they aren't worried about nice feeling materials used for the cases of phones or tablets.

Interesting link you posted there though, but wonder why the cost of making an iPhone 5 has leapt by $68 compared to the one somebody posted the other day.

Nobody has suggested anything has been "made better";

strange given you just said.

It's common knowledge that Samsung, HTC and other Android handsets are typically made of less premium materials than Apple would use.

I might buy one, but it's odd that people like you are getting so 'fanboy' about them; particularly as it's the sort of behaviour you knock Essru for week in week out.

Just trying to provide balance.

I find the need for people to justify spending masses amounts of money for devices which offer essentially nothing more over their rivals quite amusing!

I have an iPhone through work, it's an excellent device. I have a blackberry playbook tablet and enjoy the ease of use it's operating system gives and the affordability of the hardware and my personal mobile phone is a Galaxy S3 which has delighted me no end.

All devices are superb, are capable of doing essentially identical things and all from three entirely different stables. All offer pros and cons over the other yet all are superb in their own right. Yet they seem to draw apparently grown men into arguments that remind me of the Super Nintendo v Mega Drive arguments that occurred at school when I was ten, the main ones who do this tend to be the ones who have spent the most money....... I wonder why..... In my experience excellent devices can be obtained without breaking the bank to the same extent, it's good having more disposable cash.

Edited by Colinjb

The Nexus is a £239 quid phone at the end of the day, and if you think it's going to 'feel expensive' you've got another thing coming. It will feel cheap, because it is cheap.

Argghh! Its only 'cheap' because it has less of a mark up that other phones. If the iphone was sold with minimal markup at the same price as the Nexus 4 would you say that it felt cheap?

Edited by pedg

Apple's support is obviously going to be superior to what Google can offer via their Play website; you go into a store and they mend it for you. All iPhones are made of more premium materials than cheaper Android handsets; whether or not people care about that is up to them. iPhones offer storage up to 64gb, so there's no need for additional storage. A handset limited to 16gb is a different proposition.

Nobody has suggested anything has been "made better"; the initial comment was about the sort of materials that will be used for the Nexus's case. I've know idea why you're all so keen to discuss the bloody iPhone either. The Nexus is a £239 quid phone at the end of the day, and if you think it's going to 'feel expensive' you've got another thing coming. It will feel cheap, because it is cheap. That won't detract from the performance, but Google's main tactic is that they want to make their products as freely available as possible, and hence they aren't worried about nice feeling materials used for the cases of phones or tablets.

Interesting link you posted there though, but wonder why the cost of making an iPhone 5 has leapt by $68 compared to the one somebody posted the other day.

some strange views....google upset you?

It maybe you that is erroneous..not seen it in the flesh, but sounds like you haven't either so maybe bit foolish to make hasty assumptions?

Someone who has seen it has views contrary to your 'feel cheap' 'flimsy' 'plastic'...

For starters, the build quality and materials are amazing. As soon as you pick it up you know you're holding something that is built with more love and thought than a Galaxy Nexus or GSIII. The front and back are Gorilla Glass 2 and the sides are made from a rubberized plastic that actually feels great. The whole phone is really solid, and it's the first Android phone that seems like it's had real passion put into the design.

The front is still a beautiful, minimalist black slab, devoid of any logos or carrier branding. I love it. The back features a giant Nexus logo at the top and a smaller manufacturer logo at the bottom. This is, easily, the most beautiful Android phone ever made

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/01/initial-impressions-of-the-nexus-4-raising-the-bar-for-design-materials-and-build-quality/

You Android fanboys really are odd.

I say that the Nexus 4 looks good, but that people have to have realistic expectations about it, but that's apparently not good enough! I'm sure the Nexus 4 will be a good phone but it's certainly not going to be without fault. Listening to you lot, it's almost as if you've been hired as PR plants for Google or LG! I don't see why people have to evangelise about what phone they have at all.

I have an Android phone which has flaws and I've just got an iPhone 5 which also has flaws. I might keep the iPhone or I might buy something else, but one thing is for sure, I'll know the limits of what I buy, won't be telling everybody how much 'better' it is than something else!

some strange views....google upset you?

It maybe you that is erroneous..not seen it in the flesh, but sounds like you haven't either so maybe bit foolish to make hasty assumptions?

Someone who has seen it has views contrary to your 'feel cheap' 'flimsy' 'plastic'...

For starters, the build quality and materials are amazing. As soon as you pick it up you know you're holding something that is built with more love and thought than a Galaxy Nexus or GSIII. The front and back are Gorilla Glass 2 and the sides are made from a rubberized plastic that actually feels great. The whole phone is really solid, and it's the first Android phone that seems like it's had real passion put into the design.

The front is still a beautiful, minimalist black slab, devoid of any logos or carrier branding. I love it. The back features a giant Nexus logo at the top and a smaller manufacturer logo at the bottom. This is, easily, the most beautiful Android phone ever made

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/01/initial-impressions-of-the-nexus-4-raising-the-bar-for-design-materials-and-build-quality/

Amazing! If somebody said it from an Android fansite on the internet it must be true. I'll probably wait until I see one before changing my own expectation if that's ok with you though.

Edited by sotonjoe

Argghh! Its only 'cheap' because it has less of a mark up that other phones. If the iphone was sold with minimal markup at the same price as the Nexus 4 would you say that it felt cheap?

I'm not convinced you have the detailed figures on phone mark up that you think you have tbh! For one, you refer to a website in which somebody estimates the cost of materials used in an iPhone5, but makes it clear that they're only guessing! Secondly, you seem to think that the cost of materials is all that dictates the cost of a product, and that the difference between that and the retail price is the mark up, which suggests you have a fairly limited grasp of what associate costs there actually are in supplying a product. The bottom line is whether or not Apple work to a higher margin - which anyone who knows a bit about their company knows anyway! - I'd still be surprised if the iPhone5 and the Nexus 4 cost exactly the same to produce and felt exactly as 'expensive' when in the hand. That's an opinion and no amount of your anti-iPhone rhetoric or jumping up and down is going to change that until I see both phones for myself!

I'm not convinced you have the detailed figures on phone mark up that you think you have tbh! For one, you refer to a website in which somebody estimates the cost of materials used in an iPhone5, but makes it clear that they're only guessing! Secondly, you seem to think that the cost of materials is all that dictates the cost of a product, and that the difference between that and the retail price is the mark up, which suggests you have a fairly limited grasp of what associate costs there actually are in supplying a product. The bottom line is whether or not Apple work to a higher margin - which anyone who knows a bit about their company knows anyway! - I'd still be surprised if the iPhone5 and the Nexus 4 cost exactly the same to produce and felt exactly as 'expensive' when in the hand. That's an opinion and no amount of your anti-iPhone rhetoric or jumping up and down is going to change that until I see both phones for myself!

I think the sites that estimate the cost of making phones have a good reputation for getting it right so though they are estimates they can be trusted to be close to the right value. They are not 'guessing' they make a business out of these evaluations and people would not pay for the results if they were just sticking their finger in the air and coming up with a figure. They examine all parts of the phone and then go through the channels to find out how much they would cost which is why you will often see a detailed breakdown of the cost of the components.

As I quoted above there have been a number of people who have tried the nexus 4 and have produces positive feedback on it. Yes it is good that you should reserve judgement till you have held both so maybe you should reign back your scepticism about it until you do?

Well, I've had the S3 for a couple of days now. I have Android versions of most of the apps I had on iOS. The one notable exception would be iTunes; I've gone for DoubleTwist as my media player.

I'll also be looking at the SD card in the next couple of days and some sort of mount for the car. Now that I've given the iPhone to the youngest, I'm down on one in-car entertainment system, so I'm going to mount the phone on the dash and keep the screen on, just use the whole thing as a dashboard control.

Widgets make more sense on a phone than anywhere else I've ever seen them. On desktop PCs, etc; widgets are no more than a nice bit of eyecandy shoved into the corner of a screen. On a phone, it opens up the whole "design your own experience" thing.

I've got TuneIn Radio, Spotify and doubleTwist as widgets on one page, allowing me to control everything in one place. I know that's more Droid itself than the S3, but it's cool nonetheless. Apple are missing a trick by not copying them.

Assuming that you have upgraded to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean, then you aren't going to be using a car dock for a while.

Samsung have disabled the dock feature in the S3 4.1.1 JB update. A dock that previously worked with ICS no longer works with 4.1.1 JB, with both the charging function, and the audio out features totally knackered. The general assumption is that this is some kind of balls up on their part.

Initially they just kept quiet about it but since they started to receive quite a few complaints about it, they have now admitted the problem and are promising a fix.

This will more than likely arrive in the form of a firmware update, presumably 4.1.2.

Users in the US are reporting that Sprint variant is arriving with the dock issue rectified. However, there is no confirmed date for UK users to receive a fix.

There is a way around this issue but it's far from perfect.

I have rooted my S3 and flashed the latest Siyah kernel; this fixes the charging issue and the audio out will function perfectly. However the in-call microphone does NOT work.

You can still use S voice to control the usual functions but during calls the other party can't hear you.

Here's the full story at XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1879633

Rooting your phone and installing custom ROMs and kernels will invalidate your warranty with Samsung so it's not advised unless you're confident to do that kind of thing.

If you're a happy tinker man then I recommend the Siyah kernel, not only does it fix 80% of the dock issues, but it also let's you dual-boot into your choice of ROMs.

I've been running the stock Samsung as my primary ROM and Cyanogenmod 10 (nightlies) as my secondary.

CM10 is so ridiculously customisable, and a fair bit faster than stock.

If you are going to use your S3 as your main music device I would recommend spending a few extra quid and getting a 64GB micro SD card around £40 on Amazon here, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007JTKM30/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

I have stupid amount of music on mine, plus some movies and the entire first series of The Wire and I've still got 10GB of space left.

If you're looking at music apps then Poweramp is fantastic. You can trial it for free for two weeks to see if it suits your needs. I paid for the full version and haven't regretted my decision.

That said, don't overlook the Samsung music app. It's not in the same league as Poweramp but it's free and it's voice controlled (play, pause, previous, next, volume up, volume down). My kids find it most amusing to switch tracks when I'm in the head nod zone.

My plans are a lot less low-tech than that, mate!

My stereo is geared toward Apple stuff. Droid phone is connected via 3.5mm aux input. I've bought a simple holder for it, and plan on just using the phone's screen as the stereo controls.

Already ordered the 64Gb card. Does that just show up on the file system when you plug the phone in via USB?