Galaxy S3

Thedelldays

I bought a Nexus 7 tablet last month and on initial switch on and putting in my Google email address and Play Store details it downloaded over 100 apps that I also had on my Samsung S2 phone and Archos 70 tablet including the ones I have paid for like Tapatalk.

I use an email client that links my Hotmail, Yahoo and Gmail accounts into one app.

All contacts on all devices are automatically downloaded from all these email accounts as well as my Facebook and linkedIn accounts whenever each device syncs.

I use the Galaxy S2 as my private phone and also have an Iphone for work, both are good but I prefer the ability to be able to customise Android swings it for me. I liked the look of the HTC front end and just downloaded the beautiful Widgets app and now it looks the same.

Very interesting article on the court case here:

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2012082510525390

In summary:

The jury did not actually appear to read the advice from the Judge. Specifically they were told twice in documents not to apply punitive fines but at least one juror has said that is what they did. It appears at the moment that they decided the total fine would be about $1 billion so just randomly divided this up amongst the 'infringing' products ending up with a fine associated with one phone that they did not actually agree did infringe.

It's not about the damages (Apple doesn't need the measly $1bn.) It's about Samsung and other manufacturers needing to have their own innovations and products, not just relying on Apple to produce things then copy them. Microsoft do it in copying OS X, now Samsung and others are doing it copying the iPhone and iPad.

It's not about the damages (Apple doesn't need the measly $1bn.) It's about Samsung and other manufacturers needing to have their own innovations and products, not just relying on Apple to produce things then copy them. Microsoft do it in copying OS X, now Samsung and others are doing it copying the iPhone and iPad.

Try and change the subject why don't you?! You where rather happy in I remember earlier in this thread to crow about the damages but as soon as its pointed out that the rules were not not followed and that Samsung have a good case for an appeal its suddenly not about the damages?

As to this black and white view of the world that you have the Apple innovates and all everyone else does is copy, sorry but that is complete bunkum. I remember having a smartphone that has curved corners and ran apps years before the iphone was created. All apple appear to have been successful in is tweaking other peoples ideas and getting patents for things most people would find obvious (apparently its novel that when you use your finger to scroll that the scrolling speed depends on the speed of your finger, for example).

Your right its not about the damaged thought its about apple trying to use the verdict to get as many Android phones banned as possible.

Edited by pedg

No, what I said was:-

Samsung torn apart on copyright infringement.

Damages awarded to Apple: -

1 billion, 51 million 855 thousand dollars

The first and foremost point being that Samsung were torn apart on copyright infringement. Samsung (SEC) copied Apple. Proved in court. Proved by the disclosure of internal SEC emails. Why should Samsung or any other company profit from simply piggy-backing Apple design and innovation?

This case might actually be a good thing for consumers; It will mean that not only will Apple design and bring new technologies and devices to market (that others have hitherto blatantly copied), but Samsung and others will now hopefully design and bring their own and different ideas, technology and devices to market as well.

No, what I said was:-

The first and foremost point being that Samsung were torn apart on copyright infringement. Samsung (SEC) copied Apple. Proved in court. Proved by the disclosure of internal SEC emails. Why should Samsung or any other company profit from simply piggy-backing Apple design and innovation?

This case might actually be a good thing for consumers; It will mean that not only will Apple design and bring new technologies and devices to market (that others have hitherto blatantly copied), but Samsung and others will now hopefully design and bring their own and different ideas, technology and devices to market as well.

Hate to break it too you but Samsung and others have brought their own ideas, technology and devices to market. This opinion you have that everything in all other smartphones is ripped off from apple is plain stupid. Have you looked at what major innovation patents Apple have used in this case? Rounded corners and views that bounce, both earthshattering innovations I am sure.

Edited by pedg

*Warning - this is full of nerdy, techno-rot and legal-babble.

I would have no faith in the verdict in this patent dispute. Judges and the 12 men good and true have zero qualifications to be able to understand the facts of a case like this and patent law precedent doesn't help either. Not saying that Samsung didn't shamelessly copy Apple - they may well have done, but this verdict proves very little.

I've been involved in a minor way in a patent dispute having provided expert testimony assistance to a company that was fighting a patent challenge.

As ridiculous as it sounds, imagine that you were able to patent walking. You'd be able to point to people that instead of getting out of bed and sliding around from place to place, they knowingly infringe your patent by walking everywhere.

The infringing walkers would presumably point to the fact that given the need to move around, a skeleton that had evolved to allow a central balance point, the possession of two legs and counter-balancing arms; it was a natural conclusion that humans walk. A US patent court would likely find for the patent holder and make little allowance that some things simply follow as a natural consequence of discrete facts.

Of course, the biggest crime is that the walking patent had been granted in the first place. Someone should have asked themselves whether it was not better for humanity that certain fundamentals remain outside of copyright.

In my own experience, the company that had claimed that its patent was infringed had managed to patent what the geeks among us might call a macro - a series of process steps recorded and reproduced when needed. This patent was awarded despite numerous vendors being able to point to examples of prior art and despite many challenges.

Once the patent was granted, the patent holder signed up the notorious patent attorneys Akin Gump, ensured that the hearings were heard in a specific Texas Court and sued a succession of vendors that they claimed had infringed the patent (17 or so from memory).

Each of the 'infringing' vendors settled early and out of court because the cost of defending such cases, coupled with the threat of interim rulings to force them to take any potentially offending products off the market, meant that it made economic sense.

The problem is that for anyone that has dabbled in programming, when faced with a need to repeat similar tasks, a macro-like mechanism is an obvious approach. The proverbial infinite monkeys would come up with it in their coffee break from the Shakespeare work. The fact that you might have written something similar 5 years before the patent holder counts for nothing.

Ask yourself why four-wheeled cars don't infringe patents and then ask yourself why having a phone with rounded corners does.

It's madness, it's protectionist and it holds back innovation.

I believe the official OTA Jelly Bean update for the S3 is imminent.... hopefully in the next day or two.

Anyone using 4.1 on another device? What's the verdict?

I have 4.1.1 on my Nexus tablet but coming from Gingerbread on my Samsung S2 so cant compare but very pleased with it so far.

Apple are a bunch of whingers, claiming others stole their ideas that they stole from others!! lol I dont see Microsoft suing Apple for stealing the the Tablet idea that Bill Gates Unveiled some 3 yrs before the ipad!! Get a life Essuru, this is the way the corporates operate. FFS

P.S Essuru Apple even stole the name "Iphone" FFS from Infogear, who registered the name in 1996!!!!

Plus this:LG Electronics claimed the design of the iPhone was copied from the LG Prada. Woo-Young Kwak, head of LG Mobile Handset R&D Center, said at a press conference: "we consider that Apple copied Prada phone after the design was unveiled when it was presented in the iF Design Award and won the prize in September 2006

Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

That phenomena isn't specific to the iPhone. You clearly aren't privy to The9's Facebook feed; Him, wis wife and Michelle take road trip and pub visit craziness to a new level.

Cheeky fecker. I should point out that 2/3rds of us have iPhones though Ess ! ;)

still not available on my S3...any day now apparently

Careful with what you upload, the standard ICS update for my S2 absolutely ripped the guts out of how I'd configged my phone and replaced it with a load of shiiite and a silent vibrate option. Personally I preferred STILL HAVING FLASH.

Careful with what you upload, the standard ICS update for my S2 absolutely ripped the guts out of how I'd configged my phone and replaced it with a load of shiiite and a silent vibrate option. Personally I preferred STILL HAVING FLASH.

did u do it through samsung, or a 3rd party? i've updated both mine and the missus xperias to ics and it only upgraded the OS, everything except the theme/background was left unchanged.

will be interesting to see who ends up making the most out of android as it so free for developers to completely change the look and feel of it. there are already so many variations of it on so many different devices, and google are stepping in to the hardware area too. already my tv and phone run it, speculation that the ps4 will be running android too, and it probably won't be long before my boiler is controlled by it too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went into town to sort out three phone upgrades.

I've been rocking with my iPhone4 for two years; did not get another Apple phone - got the S3 instead. Don't get me wrong, Apple does make some very nice stuff and I got a new SIM for the iPhone4. Car stereo is too integrated with the iPhone for me to entirely lose it, so I'll be keeping that going.

I've been really put off Droid in the past. The missus had a crap time with her HTC Desire ( although tbf, think it was more the handset than the phone ) and I've got a mate who bores the sh!t out of me with his anti-Apple pro-Droid rhetoric. In fact, one of the things that made it so hard to come to a decision was finding any sort of balanced opinion on the subject. It seems the Internet is awash with people who'll mindlessly parrot a company's corporate line (along with their own rantings) for free. I wonder if any of them knew that's how they'd end up as adults.

Anyways, it occurred to me that since getting my iPad, the iPhone's use is confined to making phone calls, sending messages and in-car entertainment system. I've got the original iPhone4, so it wasn't very good at making calls :( Paying a load of cash for something that is better than my current phone, but is a poor relation to my best iOS device and arguably not as good as the S3 seems a bit mental, especially with Chrimbo coming up.

Going to have a proper play and report back.

Simon Blackwell (@simonblackwell)

27/10/2012 19:14

Swapped iPhone for android recently. Lots of clever dicks on here said I'd regret it and go back. Well let me tell you this: you were right.

Essruu swapped his personality for a bizarre, but nonetheless quite common obsession with a fruit-monikered tech company recently. Lots of clever dicks on here said he'd regret it and look like an archetypal Macsturbator. Well let me tell you this: they were right; he needs an iTug.

So let me get this right. Essies argument in favour of apple is he has found one posting on twitter from someone we have never heard of? Still what is the fact that samsung now outsell apple 2 to 1 in smartphone sales compared to that?

Edited by pedg

I'm not sure where Simon Blackwell comes into this, but I've just spent the evening designing my own phone. Damn, that's liberating! A home screen that actually has the things I want on it? Being able to put things other than icons on it. Very nice.

Good luck with working out which apps will run off of it, which ones won't, and generally creating lots of annoying work for yourself then :-D

There's an app for that Essruu.

And it's free. I haven't given that issue a moment's thought since I ditched the iPhone for an SII over a year ago.

Besides, the standard phone memory is big enough to not bother moving apps to the sd card unless you want to. I use it mainly for media. #desperatetojustifyapremiumprice?

Welcome to dark side pap.

You'll miss the build quality of the iPhone - if that's important to you, but you'll love the openness of the Android hardware and software platform.

Buy yourself a spare battery for about a tenner and it instantly transforms your old iPhone mentality of not turning on all the phone's features if you're going to be using the phone heavily in case the battery doesn't last.

Then you quickly realise why the case is designed the way it is. Otherwise changing batteries/sd cards would be more difficult.

I just hope your thumb is able to reach the top of your vast screen in one move. This, we are told is important.

Welcome to dark side pap.

You'll miss the build quality of the iPhone - if that's important to you, but you'll love the openness of the Android hardware and software platform.

I'm enjoying everything about it at the moment. The only thing I didn't like was the way it was initially setup, in terms of a lot of Vodafone sh!te up on screen in Widget form. That disappeared quickly.

Does make me laugh that one of the biggest selling points of the iPhone5 was an "extra row of icons". I wish I had the option to release my own hardware and make a packet off it every time my users ask for more icons. I've typically just changed the design and/or make the icons slightly smaller :) Maybe that's where I'm going wrong, bletch! :)

But if Apple gave its users an extra column of icons to go with the extra row, they'd only be able to sell it to people with long thumbs.

The iPhone 5 is the Peter Crouch of smart phones. Undisputed quality,fantastic at what it does, but the more you look at it, the more you think someone really messed up the aspect ratio.