New car time.......Ford Focus

Glasgow_Saint

After the drama and expense of my last car (Audi) I want something a little more reliable and with reasonable running costs.

MPG and reliability is now more important than looks and bling :)

Thinking about a used (2008/09) Focus 1.6 anyone got one or owned before? Also anyone had the automatic? Quite fancy an auto for some reason (never had one before)

I've got a 2007 1.6 Zetec manual.

Best points probably the ride and handling and reasonably nippy. This is my 2nd Focus and they're not near the top of the bestsellers for nothing. Apart from it's yearly service, they've not needed any parts and I get around 40 mpg.

Not the most exciting of cars but practical, very reliable and quite cheap to run. Air con, heated front and rear screens and a radio that has crap MW reception (this appears to be quite common on Ford radios).

I gave one a test drive earlier in the year and the main thing that struck me was the high road noise compared to other cars I'd test driven. In the end I went for a Golf as I've had them before and they've never let me down.

Missus just had her 03 1.8 tdci written off. Brilliant car really. Had it 9 years from 6 months old. Brilliant engine and would buy another without hesitation but this time I would buy the sport trim to stiffen up the suspension which is the only thing I didn't like about it.

The only time it cost me big bucks was when the dual mass flywheel went. Same for most or all diesels though. £800 because you might as well have the clutch done while you're in there. Still even that is cheap if you compare to a German motor.

The engine was a 115 Bhp btw. Fast as fook. Used to **** my mate off burning him up in his sporty z rover thingy,

You wouldn't think I was 42!!

So to summarise, you can be a bit sensible, pay cheap tax and insurance and still burn up the little chavs when you want by buying a 115 diesel focus, you won't regret it.

Forgot about the heated front screen as well!!

• 2 weeks later...

Road noise from the back wheels is appalling. Had it asa asecond car and 'sold?' it to my son. Nice to drive and is a good car but reliabilty questions

re flywheel-I've never heard of a petrol flywheel going in my life before!

I'm driving a BMW318SE auto, best car I've ever owned for practicality,reliability and comfort by far.

The six speed auto is peachy, fast and smooth. I'd love to try one of the new 8 spped ones!

Nowhere the fastest or most exciting I've owned, but I'm now (just) an OAP and want comfort, quiet and reliability.

If buying secondhand check the vacuum pump-they leak, and oil drips onto the exhaust and smells.

Can't fault approx 3 year old used Fords as they are cheap as chips. I brought a 3.5 year old Mondeo with one owner, 37k miles and full history for £4.4k and it has been fine apart from one replaced abs sensor and one coil pack. Now on 74k and feeling fine.