Chris Perry

Arizona

Fantastic performance from him today. MUST start next week, even if Killer and Pearce are both available.

Reads the game so well. Organised the defence fantastically and helped us dig in when Reading got a goal back. His experience is invaluable. He had a decent understaning with Cork and especially Skacel. A lot of Reading attacks game down our left second half, but those two covered each other brilliantly.

Just thought I'd make a point of it as he really has turned the side around since he came on at halftime against Wolves..

Fantastic performance from him today. MUST start next week, even if Killer and Pearce are both available.

Reads the game so well. Organised the defence fantastically and helped us dig in when Reading got a goal back. His experience is invaluable. He had a decent understaning with Cork and especially Skacel. A lot of Reading attacks game down our left second half, but those two covered each other brilliantly.

Just thought I'd make a point of it as he really has turned the side around since he came on at halftime against Wolves..

Totally agree I have already mentioned in a couple of other threads that Perry and Skacel in the back 4 gave us the base to attack Reading today , something that has been sadly lacking at SMS

It should come as no surprise to any Saints fan that Perry played well - when doesn't he ?

I suspect the coach prefers the extra pace younger defenders can offer but for my money experience has more value than pace in the crucial centre back position and if I were picking the team he and Kelvin Davis would quite literally be the first names down on the teamsheet - when fit obviously .

Until Svensson is fit and mobile, Perry is far and away our best defender. His lack of pace is a problem but as long as one of Cork, Pearce or Lancashire are alongside him to provide the pace then our central defensive partnership should be ok. Full backs are still a problem mind. Cork and Skacel are alrite for a stop-gap but both would be much better served further up the pitch.

I agree and so does Le Tiss;)

As I've said all season, an experienced professional who gives his all and is, imho, our best defender (Certainly most experienced, bar Svensson who is a unique case with his injury/pay as you play issues). Perry should always start ahead of the inexperienced youngsters, as results have proven.

I don't think it is as easy as that, but I can see merit in what you are saying. The one thing you cannot do is play Svennson and Perry together, as previously seen they are strung out even against moderate pace. Svennson maybe more of the issue that Perry though. Pearce is not that bad and has a slight edge, as he always looks a threat in the opposition box. The one area where I feel Perry is weak is against the physical strikers we normally find in this league. My preferred selection would be Perry and Pearce, but I would not set that in stone for every occaision, it really depends who they are up against and who is partnering them. I am not disputing what you saw against Wolves and Reading (two teams that play football), but there are other points from other games to take into consideration.

I don't think it is as easy as that, but I can see merit in what you are saying. The one thing you cannot do is play Svennson and Perry together, as previously seen they are strung out even against moderate pace. Svennson maybe more of the issue that Perry though. Pearce is not that bad and has a slight edge, as he always looks a threat in the opposition box. The one area where I feel Perry is weak is against the physical strikers we normally find in this league. My preferred selection would be Perry and Pearce, but I would not set that in stone for every occaision, it really depends who they are up against and who is partnering them. I am not disputing what you saw against Wolves and Reading (two teams that play football), but there are other points from other games to take into consideration.

Sorry, but Svensson has to prove himself before he gets a run in the team. On Monday night he looked well off the pace, which is to be expected, but I still wouldn't have him in the team until he looks on the ball in at least one more reserve outing.

For now, I'd stick with Perry and Cork. If and when that proves unsucessful, I'd have Perry and Pearce. You are right though, Perry and Killer shouldn't play together.

I thought Perry Cork and Scacel were all very good yesterday.

If Svennson comes back then Cork should move to right back where he had to spend a lot of time covering for 'dive in' James. His cross though was excellent.

Perry my man of the match. He is very intuitive of the play. He does lack height and pace but sees things so well and his interchanging and covering of the left back position was first class.