Which eReader? Advice sought

Suhari

Going to get an eReader. I like the look of the Kindle Paperwhite - I want something I can use in the dark. But I may want to listed to MP3 on it too, which the Paperwhite won't allow.

Anyone use a Kindle Fire? Is it a decent reading experience? Seems like it might be too heavy to me....

The first decision to make is whether you just want a monochrome e-ink reader with a battery that will last for 2-3 weeks, or want a colour device that can do a lot more, but won't last more than a day or two.

Kobo Glo reader is another good mono reader and can take an SD card. Still no music though. The Kindle Touch that I bought my wife a year ago does play MP3s, though and has a headphone socket. Unfortunately, this facility is no longer available in the new readers, but refurbished Touch devices are available from Amazon for about £65.

If you want colour, with a lot more functionality, then go for the Kindle Fire HD if you really want a reader as the first function. Alternatively, I'd recommend the Nexus 7 tablet, with the Kindle app. Absolutely brilliant (this is typed on one) and very versatile.Unfortunately all colour devices will have much shorter battery life, a few days at most.

Have to say though, that the mono e-ink readers are much superior reading screens and are easier on the eyes.

Edited by Pugwash

More info needed. Answer the following:

1. Do you just want it to read books or surf web, have games etc?

2. Do you want to download free books from the library or are you happy to pay for your books?

3. How long do you want the battery to last between charges

4. Are you going to read it in direct sunlight a lot? (rather than in the house)

5. Are you very technically minded (i.e. would you look to download some programs to strip the DRM from library books so you can read them elsewhere)

6. Is this the only device available to read books on or do you want to sync them on other devices (e.g. Android device etc)

• 2 weeks later...
More info needed. Answer the following:

1. Do you just want it to read books or surf web, have games etc?

2. Do you want to download free books from the library or are you happy to pay for your books?

3. How long do you want the battery to last between charges

4. Are you going to read it in direct sunlight a lot? (rather than in the house)

5. Are you very technically minded (i.e. would you look to download some programs to strip the DRM from library books so you can read them elsewhere)

6. Is this the only device available to read books on or do you want to sync them on other devices (e.g. Android device etc)

Good consultative questioning!!

1. Read books. Listening to audio is a nice to have, films or net unlikely.

2. Expect that I'd pay. Freebies would be a Brucie bonus.

3. Don't care, can charge regularly.

4. Unlikely.

5. I can get by with instructions!

6. Only device.

My Dad wants one too, and his answers would be.....

1. Reading only.

2. Ideally freebies (cheapskate).

3. Can charge regularly.

4. No.

5. **** no.

6. Only device.

Advice appreciated.

I am very happy with my 3G Kindle. i've had it for nearly two years now.

It works well in most locations in Uk and in the Algarve.

I only use it to read books.

The need for a night-light is inconvenient, but you can buy a clip on LED for next to nothing.

The classics are available for nothing or very little-for your Dad, and the Kindle Daily Deal has a good selection of 99p books.

I wouldn't be without one.

Holiday reading ie several -lots of hours a day-lasts 3-4 days before charge, normal usage weekly.

I suggest your Dad -(I'm 65) buys a Kindle with free 3G connectivity- if he's anything like me he'll only use it for reading and won't bother with any other functions.

I'm too technologically illiterate to suggest anything for you.